Menu

Large area rugs? Do you have one you are happy with?

We just moved to a new home and we needed rugs because our entire downstairs is tiled.

We searched everywhere and came close to placing an order at overstock.com, but I never placed the order because I wanted to be able to see the rug first, plus I was afraid of it being too thin, etc.

We also visited Lowes 3 times because I loved one 12x9 rug, but I couldn't bring myself to spend $500 on a rug. I thought I would probably find myself screaming everytime we walked on it with shoes and/or the dogs walked on it, so I never bought it. :D :D

On our 4th visit to Lowes, one of the workers showed us the carpet remnants. They had just gotten a load of remnants in and we bought one immediately. They had remnants from a high grade hotel that were pre-padded and had an interesting pattern.

We actually searched to see if there were more of the same rug, but it was the only one.

I am sooooooo in love with the rug ... mostly because of the price. :D:D

For $52, we bought a 12x9 thick, soft, pre-padded remnant and all 4 sides have seams AND they gave us a 10% military discount on top of that.

We will only be at this base a few years, so I didn't need to buy rugs for a lifetime. I just wanted to cushion the floor and to bring warmth to the room.

We got one from Lowe's or Home Depot (shopped at both that day, don't remember which one was last). We bought two of the non-skid pads to go under it and that makes a HUGE difference. We bought a cheapish rug to replace a cheap rug that had worn out, and it feels SO much better than the old, padless one. The pads combined cost as much as the rug (still under $250 total), but it was way better than buying an expensive rug and one pad.

I have this one in my school room. I love it. It's plush, neutral, and vacuums up beautifully. I do have a rug pad underneath it. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Beige-Abstract-Rug-82-x-10/5543409/product.html

I have this one in my living room, and while I love how it looks in there, it makes me nuts. It sheds like crazy. So, not an endorsement. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/jala-medallion-tufted-wool-rug-6ft-x-9ft.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=4&from=fn

I have two kinds of area rugs, both of which I bought with kids and pets in mind. One is a really lovely wool rug, very traditional persian-style rug in black, cream, taupe, sage, and rust. We've had it for over 10 years and it has held up great. I get it professionally cleaned once, maybe twice a year, and then vaccum regularly. The other is an outdoor Olefin rug, in a chocolate and taupe stripe. This one I can take out to the back yard and wash myself with mild soap and the garden hose if something spills on it, it get muddy, or just to refresh. Both have been in the main living area of our home at different times. Right now, the Olefin rug is in our den and gets the most use.

I bought the Olefin rug from the Home Decorators Collection website. They run sales often. I bought the wool rug from Smith & Noble, but I don't think they sell rugs anymore.

Good luck with your decorating endeavors!

I have purchased lovely throw rugs. (Our entire house is hard wood floors.)

My problem has been pets. Every now and again, they puke, or have an accident. I can't deal with the smell, so I dump them when certain hings happen, and I cannot clean them to sensory satisfaction. :tongue_smilie:

I don't have any rugs, except for bath mats, anywhere, currently.

I love the look of a nice wool throw rug. :(

Edited by LibraryLover

We bought ours at IKEA. It was in the clearance section so we got a good deal on it. It's 100% wool, and it's very nice. You could check there if you have one near you.

ETA: the one we got has large stripes of oatmeal, rust, blue, yellow, red, slate and then small contrasting dots of color on the stripes. The kids vacuum it.

Edited by Sparkle

Six tricks to happy rug buying from Overstock or anywhere online:

1. Make sure the rug has plenty of reviews that discuss its quality and actual color. The photos don't always portray the colors accurately. Lots of people say this depends on the computer used and on how the color is calibrated. I don't think that is always the case -- I just bought a rug that looked the same on 6 different computers. I've seen photos of rugs on blogs and message boards whose colors merely resemble the exact same rug I saw on the manufacturer's or retailer's websites.

2. Try to find a rug you like that also comes in size 2' x 3'. You can order the small rug to check the color, and return it if you don't like it. I just did this, and am keeping the small rug, too. The main color was much different (although still blue) than the photo. I was prepared for this from reading the reviews. Still, the reviewers all described the hue (shade) of the rug differently. Luckily I like it, but not as much as I liked the rug in the photo. That is mostly because the price and size were right, the rug looks good, the quality is fine for my purposes, and it works with my color scheme and style of furniture. The rugs I really love all cost $4,000 - $8,000, which I cannot afford and would not buy even if I could because I don't want to have to worry about bad things happening (spills, dog) to an expensive rug.

3. You may find a rug you like that comes in different sizes, but the title of the product is different. Do not assume they are the same rug -- call customer service and ask. I found a rug I really liked called X, and the photo was the same for the rug called Y. Turned out the base color of the two rugs was different -- for example, one was ivory and the other was gold, even though the photos on Overstock were exactly the same.

4. If you find a rug you know is expensive on Overstock for much less, be aware that the reason could be you have found a copycat rug -- check the reviews to find out about the quality of the rug.

5. Someone who has lower standards regarding rugs than you do, or who doesn't know much about rugs, may post a glowing review. That's why there should be plenty of reviews to read about a specific rug.

6. Decide ahead of time which characteristics you want your rug to have and read the descriptions carefully. You don't want to buy a flat weave rug by mistake when you really want a rug that is 3/4" thick, for instance. If you have a dog or cat, you may want to avoid buying a hooked rug. Things like that.

Edited by RoughCollie

Six tricks to happy rug buying from Overstock or anywhere online:

1. Make sure the rug has plenty of reviews that discuss its quality and actual color. The photos don't always portray the colors accurately. Lots of people say this depends on the computer used and on how the color is calibrated. I don't think that is always the case -- I just bought a rug that looked the same on 6 different computers. I've seen photos of rugs on blogs and message boards whose colors merely resemble the exact same rug I saw on the manufacturer's or retailer's websites.

2. Try to find a rug you like that also comes in size 2' x 3'. You can order the small rug to check the color, and return it if you don't like it. I just did this, and am keeping the small rug, too. The main color was much different (although still blue) than the photo. I was prepared for this from reading the reviews. Still, the reviewers all described the hue (shade) of the rug differently. Luckily I like it, but not as much as I liked the rug in the photo. That is mostly because the price and size were right, the rug looks good, the quality is fine for my purposes, and it works with my color scheme and style of furniture. The rugs I really love all cost $4,000 - $8,000, which I cannot afford and would not buy even if I could because I don't want to have to worry about bad things happening (spills, dog) to an expensive rug.

3. You may find a rug you like that comes in different sizes, but the title of the product is different. Do not assume they are the same rug -- call customer service and ask. I found a rug I really liked called X, and the photo was the same for the rug called Y. Turned out the base color of the two rugs was different -- for example, one was ivory and the other was gold, even though the photos on Overstock were exactly the same.

4. If you find a rug you know is expensive on Overstock for much less, be aware that the reason could be you have found a copycat rug -- check the reviews to find out about the quality of the rug.

5. Someone who has lower standards regarding rugs than you do, or who doesn't know much about rugs, may post a glowing review. That's why there should be plenty of reviews to read about a specific rug.

6. Decide ahead of time which characteristics you want your rug to have and read the descriptions carefully. You don't want to buy a flat weave rug by mistake when you really want a rug that is 3/4" thick, for instance. If you have a dog or cat, you may want to avoid buying a hooked rug. Things like that.

:iagree::iagree: This is great advice! I just bought a 9' x 11' wool rug from Overstock and have been extremely pleased. I have been perusing the site (and the reviews) for months, and when this deal came my way, I jumped on it. It's a beautiful charcoal gray, dense plush, Australian wool for $350. It doesn't shed much, although my golden retriever's hair shows up on it:glare:.

We also have purchased wool rugs 5' by 7' from Ikea. Again, the quality of the dense plush has been excellent. They do shed more than my one from Overstock, though.

ooh, Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx are also great suggestions. I looked both places before I bought my living room rug. Generally, I don't see much larger than 5'x8' at TJMaxx. Mine had maybe 1-2 that were larger, but TONS of really nice smaller ones. Tuesday Morning had a good selection of larger ones.

Our TJ Maxx only sells small rugs. HomeGoods sells large rugs, though, if you have one near you. They are owned by TJ Maxx. IIRC, Home Decorators Collection, suggested by masaki, is owned by Home Depot.

The flash sales sites, like Gilt, HauteLook, and Joss & Main also sell rugs frequently. Some of them don't allow returns, and returning a large rug is a big hassle anyway. However, if there is a problem, they have good reputations for excellent customer service. HauteLook is owned by Nordstrom. Wayfair owns Joss & Main.

But here's the kicker. Rugs are imported by X Company. Then A, B, and C companies buy the same rug to carry their label. So it is hard to compare prices sometimes. Overstock usually had the best prices. A really expensive rug costs about $65/s.f. I got mine for $5/s.f. This is why it took me so long -- I wanted a bargain I could live with, and I had designs and colors in mind that I could not find.

Rug dealers seem to charge what they think the traffic will bear. The rug I bought was sold on several sites for more than double what I paid for it. The one place that sells rugs locally sold them for up to 4 times what they cost at an online retailer.

Also, if you need an exact size, all rugs labeled 9 x 12, for example, are not 9' x 12'. My now-replaced Pottery Barn rug is 4" longer than 9', although another PB rug I have is the exact size advertised. Often rugs are a few inches shorter than advertised - although Overstock usually has the actual dimensions listed.

Edited by RoughCollie

Only glanced at the replies so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

We need to get a huge rug (like 13x10) and there is a local carpet place that lets you pick out wall-to-wall carpet (like frieze or berber) and they will bind the edges. I think it costs the per square foot price and then about $100 to do the binding. We were considering doing that instead of buying a $$$$$$ rug. And you can customize your exact size.

• 10 months later...

We have a big sheepskin rug (made from six sheepskins sewn together) on our wooden floor and we love it. The rule is that we treat it like a bed: you can sit or lay down on it but not walk on it. The downside is that it wouldn't fit in the washing machine and therefore would need to be professionally cleaned if it were to get vomit, cat poo, etc nasty stuff on it, so not suitable for everyone.

After shopping around locally we just bought a couple of Bazaar brand rugs from Home Depot. The 5x7s are $129 and the 8x10s are $197 I think. We went with these because of the price, but also because they're nice and plush. Everything else we were seeing was thin or twice as expensive.

Home Depot also has free shipping on them on their website it looks like, and on most of their other rugs too. And I like that you can take them back in store if you change your mind.

2. Try to find a rug you like that also comes in size 2' x 3'. You can order the small rug to check the color, and return it if you don't like it. I just did this, and am keeping the small rug, too. 

Dh brought a small rug home from Home Depot to put at the doorway.  I was so enchanted by the colors and design that I decided we needed to go back and find it in a larger size to put in the family room, which we had planned to leave sans rug (wood floors).  

We have this one from Pottery Barn:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/cecil-rug-neutral/?pkey=crugs-by-material&

We love it. I think it's an 8x10. It doesn't get too dirty but I spot clean it when I need to. I think it's 100% wool so if I had to have it cleaned I would make sure the people were equipped to take care of it. I noticed that my dry cleaners clean rugs too.

Good luck finding one. It took us months but we're happy with it.

• 1 year later...

IKEA is our go to. We bought gray tones.

This one is under our school table. I can toss it in our washer, if need be. I shake it out, otherwise.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10250201/

This one is in our family room. Son 2 chose it because it reminded him of the DNA molecule. It gets vaccumed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00259259/

This one is in our library room. The younger boys liked how it looks like sea shells. It gets vaccumed.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80262494/

Lastly, dd picked this one for her room because it looks princess-y. I shake it out or vaccum.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90236490/