Menu

Math -Problem-solving & Geometry recommendations

Guest rebbu

We have been using Singapore Math & Primary Grade Math Challenge for Math Afterschooling for 3rd Grader DS. He really enjoyed solving the problems both in PGCM and Singapore Challenging Math. Please let me know your recommendations for other such books (especially for 3rd/4th Grade levels).

I am also looking for a book/curriculum for introducing Geometry. We do Geometry in bits and pieces as part of other books but would like to see a comprehensive book that can progress sequentially just for Geometry.

Thanks everyone for the references. Very useful.

Roadrunner , I like the topics covered in Beast Academy. I also see that it is in a comic format. How would you compare the challenge level of these books compared to Singapore Math ?

Btw , we also do weekly practice of GT Math on beestar.org - a good mix of challenging problems.

Thanks everyone for the references. Very useful.

Roadrunner , I like the topics covered in Beast Academy. I also see that it is in a comic format. How would you compare the challenge level of these books compared to Singapore Math ?

Btw , we also do weekly practice of GT Math on beestar.org - a good mix of challenging problems.

We did SM through 3A and now we are jumping into 4A. We are using Beast for much of third grade SM.

Beast has sections, mostly geometry related, that are tough. While the majority of problems in BA aren't difficult overall, the subset of the problems really makes you think. I think the biggest advantage of BA isn't how difficult problems are, but how it teaches concepts. I found the chapter on Perfect Squares amazing and little geometric proofs absolutely eyeopening. I like how they incorporate what was already learned into new lessons. I don't know if SM will teach those concepts in the same way, but so far I haven't seen anything like that.

I would say for us BA is now the main program, but we are still going to do all the challenging problems in CWP and IP books. If I had to pick one, I would go with BA only because we want to eventually land in AoPS and I think this series is going to prepare us better for that type of thinking.

I think mixing those books together is still the ideal solution.