Menu

National Merit/application/transcript?

speedmom4

Hello,

I'm beginning to feel antsy about getting college applications completed. I feel like we are basically ready to send everything in but we are still waiting to hear from National Merit Scholarship Corp about whether or not dd will be a commended scholar or a semifinalist. I am almost certain she will be a commended scholar since her score was a couple of points below what our state's cutoff score has been the past few years.

Should we just hold out and wait for that information before applying?

My daughter will be applying for schools of music within each college/university she is applying to. They recommend applying as early as possible to be considered for scholarships. I'm just feeling antsy and want to get these done ASAP.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Elise in NC

You should hear within the next week or so on whether or not she makes semifinalist. I would hold off another week as I don't think it will make that much of a difference. You can always contact the schools about the commended status if that is what she gets. The difference between the 2nd week and 4th week of September is not that big. Most don't even get their applications in before December.

Cutoff scores according to college confidential. The number in parentheis is how much they went up or down from last year.

Updating

AL=209 (-2)

AK=204 (-8)

AZ=212 (-1)

AR=202 (-3)

CA=220 (-1)

CO=212 (-3)

CT=218 (-2)

DE=215 (-2)

DC=221 (-2)

FL=211 (-3)

GA=214 (-4)

HI=211 (-5)

ID=207 (-4)

IL=213 (-3)

IN=211 (-3)

IA=207 (-3)

KS=212 (-2)

KY=208 (-4)

LA=209 (0)

ME=210 (-2)

MD=219 (-2)

MA=221 (-2)

MI=207 (-3)

MN=213 (-2)

MS=204 (-1)

MO=210 (-3)

MT=203 (-6)

NE=207 (-2)

NV=208 (-1)

NH=211 (-5)

NJ=221 (-2)

NM=208 (-2)

NY= 215 (-4)

NC=213 (-4)

ND=200 (-4)

OH=212 (-2)

OK=206 (-3)

OR=213 (-3)

PA=214 (-1)

RI=211 (-2)

SC=208 (-3)

SD= 204 (-2)

TN=210 (-4)

TX= 216 (-3)

UT=205 (-3)

VT= 214 (-3)

VA=217 (-3)

WA=216 (-4)

WV=200 (-4)

WI=207 (-2)

WY=200 (-4)

North Carolina went down by 4 points from last year!!!

Thanks so much! Unfortunately she missed the NC cutoff by 2 points. Oh well, her SAT scores were even better so hopefully colleges will take that into consideration.

It is a little frustrating that if we lived less than a hundred miles south she would have made the cutoff.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

If a student received a letter saying that they were a high-scorer, but are below the state cut-off, then are they automatically a "commended student"?

TIA!

Kimm

Hey Kimm,

My dd received a letter in the spring and had to list 2 colleges that she would like to have her status reported. Here is the part of the letter that explains the situation about semi-finalist status vs. commended:

"About 16,000 of the more than 50,000 high performers being offered the CPRS will be named Semifinalists next fall following procedures explained in the 2011 Official Student Guide to the PSAT?NMSQT and on our website at http://www.nationalmerit.org. Approximately 34,000 other high scorers will be designated Commended Students. We will notify Semifinalists and Commended Students of their standing in September 2012 through their high schools. Only Semifinalists will have any opportunity to advance in the competition for National Merit Scholarships to be offered in 2013."

Based on that information I would assume that since my dd received this letter but did not make the qualifying cutoff score for Semifinalist then she will be a Commended Scholar.

HTH,

Elise in NC

My son got a semifinalist packet a couple of weeks ago. The official list of semifinalists is being released to the press on 9/13. I'm not sure when they notify commended students, but I think if she was a semifinalist you'd know by now.

The press release is dated Wednesday 9/12/2012 on the NMS website.

Congrats to your son!

My parents are freaking out because my brother scored a 220 (well about the 216 reported cutoff in Texas) but still haven't heard anything. He checked with the counselor and he hasn't heard anything either. Any ideas??

The school should have already given him his letter so he can be working on his part of the application. I would probably contact NMS.

Is your brother a junior? Only juniors are eligible for NM, so a sophomore who had a 220 would not be contacted.

He is a senior and took the PSAT as a junior, so he should have been contacted. Sigh. He goes to a tiny 1A rural high school who is probably clueless about this whole thing. I had to beg the guidance counselor to order the test for me when I took it in 1997. Now it's a different counselor who may have no idea what's going on.

I would strongly suggest that he call National Merit. Here's their contact info. They are quite helpful on the phone.

National Merit Scholarship Corporation

Main Telephone: (847) 866-5100

Main Fax: (847) 866-5113

I totally agree about calling. Applications are due 10/10 so the process needs to get moving. The school has a part and the student has a part.

Congratulations to your son!!! This is wonderful news . Dd is a commended scholar,6 points from cutoff, but brought her SAT up to 160 points above her projected score so I am very hopeful for a large scholarship. And she was 15 at the time. I am just darn glad to have the testing behind us with the applications going out.

• 2 months later...

We just found out this week that my daughter is a semi-finalist. Apparently they sent the letter to the high school, who did nothing about it. The NTSC has been wonderful and given us until the end of November to complete the application. The school was also sent the commendation letter for my other daughter. Unfortunately, my daughters both took the sat once, did quite well but not exceptionally but chose not to retest after doing exceptionally on the ACT. Ah well.