Menu

Advice needed

Guest Rashmi

Hello, I am new here on this forum as well as new to homeschooling. i have a almost 8 year old in 3rd grade and a 5 year old in 1st grade. Both my kids are ahead of their class. We had to get our younger one tested to let her start Kinder at age 4. My older daughter tested at advanced level in STAR testing. This year we decided to sign them up with a charter school where they go to school for science and history twice a week and I home school them 3 days/week. They have already mastered about 40% of their math and a lot fo their language arts curriculum at home and I am planning to buy the next grade level curriculum around Christmas. They are very eager to learn and enjoy studying overall. What i need to know is, If I want to get them tested, what are some good but not very expensive tests that hold value? If I sign them up for one of the talent searches like JHU, what value does it hold? I am not sure if those tests simply mean testing and getting results or if they can benefit with taking those. I would love for them to participate in competitions because I know they thrive on those challenges but I don't know where to start. I am in CA and don't know if there are programs they could sign up for close by. Any advise is highly appreciated. TIA

Well here the talent searches put you at the top of the priority list to get into summer camps at the local university that runs the talent search. We've never done one. Other than that, the scores are nice to have. They've come in handy on applications and also because it was 4 years above grade level, we saw a wider spread in the scores and got a better feeling for strengths and weaknesses...though not a much better feeling.

Brownie

• 3 weeks later...

My kids thrive on competitions and I have got to know about so many that I have blogged about some of them and written a web page that lists some - http://www.squidoo.com/contests-for-students. Some of them do require that they participate in teams. We are in TN and have a very large homeschool group so it is no problem for us.

There are not as many contests for younger kids, but one about to start is American Math Challenge - http://www.mathletics.com/americanmathchallenge/. It is online and free.

Other good competitions are the Continental Math League and other subjects (Language arts, Science, History, Geography and Current Events). These start at 2nd-3rd grade, and you can enter either as a team or as a homeschool-for homeschoolers, the fees for each test are reduced. CML has several rounds a year-the others have only one test a year. You need to register quick, though-I believe the Deadline is October 9. School, state, and national winners get medals.

http://www.continentalmathematicsleague.com/

My DD is also doing the National Mythology and Exploratory Latin exams this year. We're doing study groups at our house to prepare for them and to get with other kids who enjoy such subjects, but they can be done completely individually. High scores get certificates and medals.

http://www.etclassics.org/pages/the-exploratory-latin-exam

Along with the American Math Challenge in the fall, the World Education Games will come up in the Spring, completely online.

National contests for individuals usually get posted here when someone sees/hears about them :).