Menu

I'm thinking of switching from AAS to Logic of English and have questions.

abidnginhim

My dd is 8. I did not used any formal spelling program with her until this past summer when I purchased AAS levels 1 & 2. She flew through the first level. She reads well and, so far, spells well. I plan to continue to use a spelling curriculum with her but I am not sure AAS is the right one. She is not struggling with it but she is simply not fond of using the white board or letter tiles and neither am I. I know you can use the program without the tiles and whiteboard but I think it is designed to work best this way? And, I if am not making full use of the program I wonder if I should be using it at all. Also, it seems to move very slowly and I don't like the idea of buying so many levels.

I have been researching LOE. I've watched several videos on YouTube and read many of the reviews posted here. I think it might be a better fit for us than AAS and I think age 8 would be a great place to start this program. I have 3 little ones coming up after her that I could use it with as well. So, I am considering selling my AAS levels and getting LOE instead but I have some questions before I do.

First, does it cover all the phonograms and spelling rules covered in the levels of AAS or will it be necessary to purchase additional levels of LOE at some point to cover the same amount of material? I understand that there are no other levels available at this time but, if I am going to have to purchase more levels of something after using this program maybe I should just stick it out with AAS.

Also, what do I even need to purchase to begin using this program? There are so many optional items. Can I start with the TM and workbook? I don't have a lot of extra time to be making my own flash cards so if they are essential to using the program I would need to purchase them.

At first I didn't think I would like a spelling program that included other language arts subjects with it such as grammar, handwriting, vocabulary, and composition, but I am re-thinking this. It might be helpful to have all of English covered in one book, at least at this age. Then as my dd gets older we can cover them more in depth in seperate curriculums where needed.

I have 8 children and have been homeschooling for some time but have never found a spelling curriculum that worked for everyone. After researching LOE I wish I would have used a program such as LOE from the start. My oldest was a natural spelling and didn't seem to need any curriculum at all but with my others I have tried Spelling Power, Natural Speller, Sequential Spelling, and Phonetic Zoo. My 12 yo dd is using Phonetic Zoo this year and doing well but I wonder if she is missing something with this curriculum? My 14 yo ds is my poorest speller and nothing has worked for him. I wonder if a quick run through of LOE might even help him? That is yet another reason to give this this program a try.

Would you make the switch?

Edited by abidnginhim

My dd is 8. I did not used any formal spelling program with her until this past summer when I purchased AAS levels 1 & 2. She flew through the first level. She reads well and, so far, spells well. I plan to continue to use a spelling curriculum with her but I am not sure AAS is the right one. She is not struggling with it but she is simply not fond of using the white board or letter tiles and neither am I. I know you can use the program without the tiles and whiteboard but I think it is designed to work best this way? And, I if am not making full use of the program I wonder if I should be using it at all. Also, it seems to move very slowly and I don't like the idea of buying so many levels.

I have been researching LOE. I've watched several videos on YouTube and read many of the reviews posted here. I think it might be a better fit for us than AAS and I think age 8 would be a great place to start this program. I have 3 little ones coming up after her that I could use it with as well. So, I am considering selling my AAS levels and getting LOE instead but I have some questions before I do.

First, does it cover all the phonograms and spelling rules covered in the levels of AAS or will it be necessary to purchase additional levels of LOE at some point to cover the same amount of material? I understand that there are no other levels available at this time but, if I am going to have to purchase more levels of something after using this program maybe I should just stick it out with AAS.

Also, what do I even need to purchase to begin using this program? There are so many optional items. Can I start with the TM and workbook? I don't have a lot of extra time to be making my own flash cards so if they are essential to using the program I would need to purchase them.

At first I didn't think I would like a spelling program that included other language arts subjects with it such as grammar, handwriting, vocabulary, and composition, but I am re-thinking this. It might be helpful to have all of English covered in one book, at least at this age. Then as my dd gets older we can cover them more in depth in seperate curriculums where needed.

I have 8 children and have been homeschooling for some time but have never found a spelling curriculum that worked for everyone. After researching LOE I wish I would have used a program such as LOE from the start. My oldest was a natural spelling and didn't seem to need any curriculum at all but with my others I have tried Spelling Power, Natural Speller, Sequential Spelling, and Phonetic Zoo. My 12 yo dd is using Phonetic Zoo this year and doing well but I wonder if she is missing something with this curriculum? My 14 yo ds is my poorest speller and nothing has worked for him. I wonder if a quick run through of LOE might even help him? That is yet another reason to give this this program a try.

Would you make the switch?

Is this Stephanie?

I have no answers for you, but I wondered if this was who I thought it was.

We did levels 1-2 AAS starting when DD was very young. It was a good fit then and level 1 actually helped her gain confidence in reading. But, we both quickly grew tired of the board, tiles, and the speed of it. It was so bad for us both that I ditched spelling entirely for a while.

DD is not a natural speller, but she loves rules, and she's an advanced reader. I talked myself out of ordering LoE about a dozen times before I finally did it.

We started it over the summer and took a very gentle approach with it because DD was in a lot of camps. We did finally get into a general pattern such that we spend about 1 week per lesson.

We use the spelling book, the workbook, games, etc. She practices her cursive in the workbook (she already completed HWOT cursive so we aren't using LoE to learn cursive). I don't personally think that the grammar and vocabulary are that much a part of the program. Yes, the topics are brought up and perhaps if we didn't already have exposure using other programs it would seem more intrusive. But, really, it just seems like part of the spelling program for us.

It definitely moves faster than AAS with the introduction of more complex words and phonograms sooner, which has been a huge plus for us. Even though we are going faster, DD's retention and learning is so far ahead of AAS that it's not even funny. I don't know what it is but LoE just fits our teaching and learning styles better. I like the structured yet NOT scripted approach. We both like the variety of activities. The workbook isn't drill and kill; she is workbook averse and has been fine with it.

I haven't sat down to compare the phonograms between AAS and LoE. I do plan on continuing with MCT Cesear's English after we complete LoE and possibly Megawords too.

DD turns 8 in 3 days.

We did levels 1-2 AAS starting when DD was very young. It was a good fit then and level 1 actually helped her gain confidence in reading. But, we both quickly grew tired of the board, tiles, and the speed of it. It was so bad for us both that I ditched spelling entirely for a while.

DD is not a natural speller, but she loves rules, and she's an advanced reader. I talked myself out of ordering LoE about a dozen times before I finally did it.

We started it over the summer and took a very gentle approach with it because DD was in a lot of camps. We did finally get into a general pattern such that we spend about 1 week per lesson.

We use the spelling book, the workbook, games, etc. She practices her cursive in the workbook (she already completed HWOT cursive so we aren't using LoE to learn cursive). I don't personally think that the grammar and vocabulary are that much a part of the program. Yes, the topics are brought up and perhaps if we didn't already have exposure using other programs it would seem more intrusive. But, really, it just seems like part of the spelling program for us.

It definitely moves faster than AAS with the introduction of more complex words and phonograms sooner, which has been a huge plus for us. Even though we are going faster, DD's retention and learning is so far ahead of AAS that it's not even funny. I don't know what it is but LoE just fits our teaching and learning styles better. I like the structured yet NOT scripted approach. We both like the variety of activities. The workbook isn't drill and kill; she is workbook averse and has been fine with it.

I haven't sat down to compare the phonograms between AAS and LoE. I do plan on continuing with MCT Cesear's English after we complete LoE and possibly Megawords too.

DD turns 8 in 3 days.

Thank you for your review. Since you did AAS 1&2 before starting LoE, can you tell me if you think that was a good place to start? DD (8) completed level 1 over the summer. Would it be a good idea to have her go ahead and complete level 2 or should I start LoE immediately?

I am leaning towards trying LoE more and more but I am still torn and have questions. I don't want to have to do all 7 levels of AAS. But, how long does it actually take to cover all 7 levels? The thought of doing LoE for a year or even 2 years then following up with something else is appealing to me but can the AAS levels be covered in the same amount of time?? I have read that some children are completing several levels per year. I thought my dd moved quickly through level 1 because she started late but if she can continue to move at this speed through the entire program maybe I should just continue to use it.

I am looking at the scope and sequence of each and trying to compare what is covered in LoE. Does it actually cover in one book what AAS takes 7 levels to cover? I am wondering if not since there is supposed to be another level of LoE at some point??

I guess the main reason I would like to make the switch to LoE is because I don't like doing the AAS lessons. I do not like the use of the white board or letter tiles and the lessons seem to move too slowly. I knew this when I purchased it but I wanted to give it a try. I do like the method of using the phonograms and spelling rules better than any other spelling curriculum that we have tried I just don't like the way the day to day lessons are presented. Maybe LoE would suit our teaching and learning styles better?

Edited by abidnginhim

We did AAS 1 back when she was like 4.5-5 so I don't think it had any impact on her really. I think being a solid reader prepared her just fine for LoE. We didn't have to review much of the first set of phonograms.

I just honestly have no idea what phonograms LoE and AAS cover that might differ from each other. I just haven't bothered to compare.

I think that both programs and other OG-based programs like Spalding/WRTR are all going to give you an excellent foundation in rule-based spelling.

The differences are going to be in what method works best for you as a teacher and your kids as students. AAS wasn't working for us anymore, and I knew I would never be bothered to implement Spalding on my own. It's not a matter of not being comfortable with the content; I'm a former neurolinguist and a professional writer. I simply didn't have the time as a full-time working homeschooling mom to make my own cards, curriculum, etc. (mostly because I am making my own curricula for many other subjects). So, LoE seemed like a solid alternative between the two, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the success we're having.

I guess my point is...that from a content perspective, you'll be fine with any of these programs. It just comes down to what you think will work best in your family.

We did AAS 1 back when she was like 4.5-5 so I don't think it had any impact on her really. I think being a solid reader prepared her just fine for LoE. We didn't have to review much of the first set of phonograms.

I just honestly have no idea what phonograms LoE and AAS cover that might differ from each other. I just haven't bothered to compare.

I think that both programs and other OG-based programs like Spalding/WRTR are all going to give you an excellent foundation in rule-based spelling.

The differences are going to be in what method works best for you as a teacher and your kids as students. AAS wasn't working for us anymore, and I knew I would never be bothered to implement Spalding on my own. It's not a matter of not being comfortable with the content; I'm a former neurolinguist and a professional writer. I simply didn't have the time as a full-time working homeschooling mom to make my own cards, curriculum, etc. (mostly because I am making my own curricula for many other subjects). So, LoE seemed like a solid alternative between the two, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the success we're having.

I guess my point is...that from a content perspective, you'll be fine with any of these programs. It just comes down to what you think will work best in your family.

Thank you. That was very helpful. I know I would not implement Spaulding on my own either.

I did some more digging and found out that LoE is supposed to cover about the same material that is covered in levels 1-4 of AAS. Hmm...

Ellie, I have read through many of your posts about Spalding. I'd love to be able to use such a program but I simply don't have the time to read and learn how to put it all together on a day to day basis. I am overwhelmed with 8 kids, selling a house, moving, and sending my oldest to college.... Maybe by the time my 2 yo is ready for spelling but, not this fall. What would you recommend using for a spelling program if I want to use an O-G based program but don't want to use Spalding and need open and go from day one?

Have you looked at How To Spell (workbooks) with the teacher's manual How to Teach Spelling? It teaches all the spelling rules, includes dictation, and the tm covers all grade levels.

I did look at it briefly. It looked like there was far less hand holding, more work for me, not very open and go. Is that true??

I really need something all laid out for me with little to no planning on my part. I have so many other subjects and levels going on with all the kids that spelling is one thing that has to be easy to implement or it will not get done. That is why I was considering LoE.

To ME, LOE looks like I can simply open the tm and teach. It tells me when to use the workbook, when to do dictation, etc. I can do it at the kitchen table because it doesn't require me to use a huge white board that I have to dig out from behind my dresser in the bedroom every day and there are no little tiles to mess with that can so easily get lost or stolen by my curious 2 year old who wants to "do school too." (eta: The tiles really do stress me out. I thought I lost one of them the other day and nearly had a panic attack. Turns out it was stuck to the back of my leg.)

Edited by abidnginhim
  • Like 1

FWIW, I am loving LoE for my 5th grader. She is cruising through it and quickly picking up things which I hadn't explicitly taught yet. LoE is solidifying what she has learned through dictation, which is exactly what I was looking for. I expect she will be done by the end of November, and then she will move back to Dictation Day-by-Day.

I am not loving LoE for my 8yo 3rd grader. I am sure it could work if I was a different type of homeschooler, but it is pretty much torture for my 3rd grader. He's getting zip from it. I shelved LoE for him and went back to my trusty stand-by, Kate Van Wagenen's Dictation Day-by-Day.

I tried AAS for my oldest in 3rd or 4th grade. I did not feel the love, and it was quickly resold. Till now both my kids have used daily dictation very effectively.

Has any one tried Sequential Spelling? I like the idea of only having one manual, and having a child learn from there -- rules, then spelling in their own notebook. Are there any others out there that only have one book to buy (or that and a student book) -- I just hate all the extras that come with AAS and LoE -- I have been looking on both websites and it just seems so overwhelming..... I'd like to look at Spelling Power, but they don't have any preview lessons on their site?

I did look at it briefly. It looked like there was far less hand holding, more work for me, not very open and go. Is that true??

I really need something all laid out for me with little to no planning on my part. I have so many other subjects and levels going on with all the kids that spelling is one thing that has to be easy to implement or it will not get done. That is why I was considering LoE.

To ME, LOE looks like I can simply open the tm and teach. It tells me when to use the workbook, when to do dictation, etc. I can do it at the kitchen table because it doesn't require me to use a huge white board that I have to dig out from behind my dresser in the bedroom every day and there are no little tiles to mess with that can so easily get lost or stolen by my curious 2 year old who wants to "do school too." (eta: The tiles really do stress me out. I thought I lost one of them the other day and nearly had a panic attack. Turns out it was stuck to the back of my leg.)

I found HTTS easy to implement once I started...no teacher prep for me at all. I used the grade-level workbooks and just used the dictation from the corresponding section in the TM.

Has any one tried Sequential Spelling? I like the idea of only having one manual, and having a child learn from there -- rules, then spelling in their own notebook. Are there any others out there that only have one book to buy (or that and a student book) -- I just hate all the extras that come with AAS and LoE -- I have been looking on both websites and it just seems so overwhelming..... I'd like to look at Spelling Power, but they don't have any preview lessons on their site?

I am only using the teacher's guide and workbook for my 5th grader. We have the cards, but we don't really use them. The extras for AAS and LoE drive me crazy too, and I'm a devoted RightStart user!

I started with AAS and moved to LOE. I can give an opinion but I hesitate since I'm only on the third lesson (third week of LOE).

We did AAS levels 1 and 2. I would say these levels were relatively easy but it went at a very slow pace for us. I still recommend AAS because it is so well presented and easy to follow.

We decided to go with LOE because it was all in one and so that I could pick up the pace a bit. Like you, I have more littles on the way so I felt we would get good use out of the program.

We started with lesson one of LOE, scheduling one week per lesson. There are sample plans at the front of the manual that makes scheduling simple. This is the most hand-holding of any program I have seen. If you want it spelled out for you, this is it. I'm not sure I needed all this. I think Spalding or How To Teach Spelling would have worked just as well, but I like the convenience of LOE. I'm actually thrilled with how easy this is to use, especially compared to AAS (which I thought was rather easy to use before I had LOE). I also love the pacing of it and the activities.

I am currently part of the beta testing for the kindergarten program of LOE called Foundations.

We bought the flash cards which are very nice quality and the workbook. I also purchased the game cards and game book because my children are young. I don't think it would be necessary with older students. REally all you need is the manual, the workbook, and either to make your own flashcards to practice or buy a set.

Can you tell us more about the LOE K? I decided to go with Saxon Phonics K for my 4 year old and Saxon Phonics 1 for my 5 year old but we haven't started yet. My 8 and 10 year old will do LOE this year. I am hoping Saxon K-2 (finishing them in 1st) will be a smooth transition into LOE for 2nd grade (since it is an O-G program) and then in 3rd grade I hope to do the advanced level of LOE when it comes out. And then for 4th-6th they'll do CC's Essentials of the English Language. But there is always a possibility of me doing LOE's K program if Saxon isn't a good fit for us......

Can you tell us more about the LOE K? I decided to go with Saxon Phonics K for my 4 year old and Saxon Phonics 1 for my 5 year old but we haven't started yet. My 8 and 10 year old will do LOE this year. I am hoping Saxon K-2 (finishing them in 1st) will be a smooth transition into LOE for 2nd grade (since it is an O-G program) and then in 3rd grade I hope to do the advanced level of LOE when it comes out. And then for 4th-6th they'll do CC's Essentials of the English Language. But there is always a possibility of me doing LOE's K program if Saxon isn't a good fit for us......

I can't tell you much. I'm only 10 lessons into it. I think she plans to have it ready for 2013 but I don't know that the timeline is firm.

So far it is a great introduction to phonics. I love all the built in phonemic awareness activities and gentle introduction to handwriting. The program has a lot of activities and large motor movements to really engage this age group. I will know more after I have done more. :001_smile:

I wanted to thank everyone again for their replies. I have decided to go ahead and give LoE a try. We only just started our school over the past couple of weeks so switching her spelling program will not be a big deal, in fact, I'd rather do it now than later. My reasons for switching are that I wasn't completely satisifed with my choice of AAS in the first place. It was always my plan to delay any formal spelling program with dd until grade 3 or 4. I simply had not decided on which program I was going to use. While researching and trying to choose curriculum over the summer I found that AAS got rave reviews, however, everyone said she needed to start at the beginning and would most likely speed through the material doing 3 levels in the first year. That was why I went ahead and purchased levels 1 and 2 over the summer and started early, to get her caught up. I didn't like that idea but because I wanted to use the method of teaching spelling used in AAS without doing all the prep work myself as would be required in other programs such as Spalding, I figured AAS was my only ready made, open and go option. And, as I mentioned before, my dd and I are not fond of the manipulatives and use of the white board in AAS. The only manipulatives she likes to use are Cuisenaire Rods for math. This was also a compromise and I was willing to make at the time. As we have been doing AAS over the summer and the past couple weeks of this new school year I see that it simply not working. She is flying through the material. Each lesson is boring and she hates using thet tiles. I did quit using them except for the teaching portion and have sped up the lessons as much as possible but it still is not working. After yesterday's lesson I made up my mind. I believe LOE will be the better choice for my dd. She is at the perfect age to begin the material. I believe it will be just enough of a challenge to make it interesting and provide a gentle introduction to all areas of English. There is no catching up required, no buying 3 levels in one year(even though I already have 2 so it isn't exactly the most cost effective option), and there are no manipulatives or white board. And since she is older and already knows all her phonograms I don't believe the games will be necessary either. She doesn't like manipulatives OR games. She is a sit down at the table and get it done kind of gal. Now that I am more familiar with the OG-method I think doing AAS with my younger children, starting at an earlier age than 3rd or 4th grade, might be a great idea and I wish I had known about it for my older children. I do think AAS is a wonderful program and my next oldest dd (5) would probably love it. But, because I didn't begin using this method with my 8 yo dd until now and AAS it isn't exactly her learning style, LoE is the better fit for her. At least, I hope it will be. :mellow: I will try to remember to come back and give an update in 6 months or so and let you know how it is going if you want me to. :001_smile:

Edited by abidnginhim

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I wanted to thank everyone again for their replies. I have decided to go ahead and give LoE a try. We only just started our school over the past couple of weeks so switching her spelling program will not be a big deal, in fact, I'd rather do it now than later. My reasons for switching are that I wasn't completely satisifed with my choice of AAS in the first place. It was always my plan to delay any formal spelling program with dd until grade 3 or 4. I simply had not decided on which program I was going to use. While researching and trying to choose curriculum over the summer I found that AAS got rave reviews, however, everyone said she needed to start at the beginning and would most likely speed through the material doing 3 levels in the first year. That was why I went ahead and purchased levels 1 and 2 over the summer and started early, to get her caught up. I didn't like that idea but because I wanted to use the method of teaching spelling used in AAS without doing all the prep work myself as would be required in other programs such as Spalding, I figured AAS was my only ready made, open and go option. And, as I mentioned before, my dd and I are not fond of the manipulatives and use of the white board in AAS. The only manipulatives she likes to use are Cuisenaire Rods for math. This was also a compromise and I was willing to make at the time. As we have been doing AAS over the summer and the past couple weeks of this new school year I see that it simply not working. She is flying through the material. Each lesson is boring and she hates using thet tiles. I did quit using them except for the teaching portion and have sped up the lessons as much as possible but it still is not working. After yesterday's lesson I made up my mind. I believe LOE will be the better choice for my dd. She is at the perfect age to begin the material. I believe it will be just enough of a challenge to make it interesting and provide a gentle introduction to all areas of English. There is no catching up required, no buying 3 levels in one year(even though I already have 2 so it isn't exactly the most cost effective option), and there are no manipulatives or white board. And since she is older and already knows all her phonograms I don't believe the games will be necessary either. She doesn't like manipulatives OR games. She is a sit down at the table and get it done kind of gal. Now that I am more familiar with the OG-method I think doing AAS with my younger children, starting at an earlier age than 3rd or 4th grade, might be a great idea and I wish I had known about it for my older children. I do think AAS is a wonderful program and my next oldest dd (5) would probably love it. But, because I didn't begin using this method with my 8 yo dd until now and AAS it isn't exactly her learning style, LoE is the better fit for her. At least, I hope it will be. :mellow: I will try to remember to come back and give an update in 6 months or so and let you know how it is going if you want me to. :001_smile:

So, any update? We are not liking AAS and I am looking at Phonetic Zoo and LoE. I am looking for my 9yo. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any updates on LoE Essentials?  I am about to press the "buy" button, but still not quite sure.  I want to use LoE Essentials with my upper elementary children for spelling benefits.  I like that LoE teaches that "y" and "i" have a long /E/ sound as SWR/Spalding do not.  There are several other reasons that pull me towards LoE.  One moment I am thinking LoE and then I read something on Spalding or SWR that makes me consider those.  I believe SWR has many levels to carry us through many years of spelling practice of the phonograms.  However, I am not so sure that LoE will benefit us more than the 40 lessons in Essentials.  

Does anyone know iff LoE can continue to be used through the years with guided practice of the program and spelling words that continue to increase in difficulty?  Obviously, I can choose my own words, use Spelling Power, or maybe the W.I.S.E guide in conjunction, but I would like to think that I could continue with some guidance from LoE through a few years of spelling.  

I am wondering if:  

abidnginhim and lorisuewho

are still using LoE.  Also, what are their pros and cons.

Any help would be lovely!!!

• Like 1