Menu

Secular Character/Virtue curriculum

KristenR

A close friend of mine was telling me about this great book she got called Portraits of Integrity where they tell stories of real men and women from history and and extol their virtues. She said this book was Christian based but thought I might be able to adapt it for our secular home. I was wondering if anyone has done this? Or maybe just found a character-based curriculum that was not religiously based. I love the thought of using stories of real people. :lurk5:

Have you heard of Value Tales? It's a set of biography books that focus on one character trait at a time. Ex. Edison and the Value of Imagination. There were about 40 or 50 when I was a kid and we'd get 2 in the mail every month. I ended up collecting them for my own kids, but they now have compilations of some of the more popular ones.

These sound great! Thank you for sharing. I'm listening to a sample now and think it would be perfectly!

WOW! Talk about funny! I am pretty certain I will pick up the new treasury but was a bit bummed to see it only included 5 stories. I started looking through their old collection and realized I OWN the The Value of Adventure: The Story of Sacagawea!! I literally picked it up on a whim from a used-curriculum fair for $1 because I like Sacagawea but haven't picked it up since. I didn't know what I had! LOL :D

But now I'm looking through all the old titles and I WANT THOSE too!! The lots for sale on Amazon are over $100 bucks though and I can't see myself spending that much.

Thanks again for this!

Have you heard of Value Tales? It's a set of biography books that focus on one character trait at a time. Ex. Edison and the Value of Imagination. There were about 40 or 50 when I was a kid and we'd get 2 in the mail every month. I ended up collecting them for my own kids, but they now have compilations of some of the more popular ones.

I had these as kids. I really regret not asking my mom to keep them. LOVED these books.

The Children's Book of Heroes is great for that purpose. It is by the same author of the Book of Virtues series. I have the main book, the book for children and the one for young people. We use them to discuss story elements.

Some of the stories are Christian, but we skip those or I give context. The message isn't "Do what God tells us to do" so I can overlook it.

Edited by ondreeuh

This must have been a freebie somewhere in the 70s. I remember both my grandma and mom having it. I remember looking at it as a child...the pictures seriously wigged me out. The new version is better, but that huge shot still gets to me. LOL!

51D8NEQ1E0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Haha, this book was the one that gave me nightmares. I loved the Helen Keller one though.

This must have been a freebie somewhere in the 70s. I remember both my grandma and mom having it. I remember looking at it as a child...the pictures seriously wigged me out. The new version is better, but that huge shot still gets to me. LOL!

Wow! A flash from the past! I had this book as a child and hadn't seen it since...funny...

Gosh, my mother had dozens (well, at least two dozen) of these and I loved to read and reread them.