Menu

Where is the composite score on the Seton CAT test? Will we qualify for Gr 1 in OH?

Yesterday we got our Seton CAT test back for my daughters K year and I cannot find a composite score to send in with our notification. We are late, but are in contact with the school district about it. She didn't do that great. I am hoping we will still qualify for homeschooling in Ohio? :confused:

Visual Recognition Percentile 71 Stanine 6

Sound Recognition Percentile 65 Stanine 6

Vocabulary Percentile 40 Stanine 4

Comprehension Percentile 29 Stanine 4

Language Expression Percentile 52 Stanine 5

Concept&Application Percentile 16 Stanine 3

*Reading Total Percentile 34 Stanine 4

Thanks for your help!!

ETA: Ohio law requires she has a "composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile."

Edited by teeniebeenie6

We didn't get a composite on our CAT for K. It just listed the scores in the different areas. Do you have to send it in for K?

I know that here (not Ohio), we only have to notify and do testing if they are 6 by September 30. Since Astro wasn't last year, and was just in Kindergarten, I didn't have to notify them at the beginning of the year, nor did I need to send in test results for him at the end of the year.

Maybe the law there is similar?

You don't send in scores for K5, chickadee. Did you notify before you started last year?? You didn't need to, not according to the law. http://www.cheohome.org Go there and look up the laws. If they are 6 by the cutoff, the mandatory age, THEN you must notify. So you notify this fall for your dc who is 6 by the cutoff. You don't need to send in scores from the previous year for that.

So no scores, just notify. And in your notification, you include the form CHEO has (or the one from HSLDA works) and the things it says. I know it says something fancy about a list of this or that. I just write out what we're using. You're not asking for permission and they're not going to turn you down. Put your soul at ease on that. You're going to look at the law, check of the things that show you're complying with the law, write out what you're using, make duplicates of everything, send it in (getting a receipt) and you're fine. This is going to be fine.

Next fall, you'll rinse and repeat, this time including test scores. You don't need any test scores when you register the first time. School before age 6 is not mandatory, so you don't need to show test scores from anything done then.

I agree with Elisabeth, and I sure am hoping that you didn't notify last year...unless you pulled her out of K. There are also multiple other sites, local and state, that have all the info on them as well.

As far as thinking your kid is below par, she isn't. That is the first test she's ever taken and remember these two things... in Ohio, *IF* you score 25th or 24th % ile and below, composite score.... you still get to HS for another year to show improvement, before they wouldn't approve your homeschooling notification. To show you how silly this is, if you DID have a kid score below that on a test, and you paid for the test, you do not need to turn it in. You could do a portfolio assessment.

If you look at all her scores and average them out, while she might have had some pretty low, she had others quite high. With those scores she definitely would've scored over the low percentile threshold anyway.

Don't sweat it! K testing is really, really, weird. :D

You don't send in scores for K5, chickadee. Did you notify before you started last year?? You didn't need to, not according to the law. www.cheohome.org Go there and look up the laws. If they are 6 by the cutoff, the mandatory age, THEN you must notify. So you notify this fall for your dc who is 6 by the cutoff. You don't need to send in scores from the previous year for that.

So no scores, just notify. And in your notification, you include the form CHEO has (or the one from HSLDA works) and the things it says. I know it says something fancy about a list of this or that. I just write out what we're using. You're not asking for permission and they're not going to turn you down. Put your soul at ease on that. You're going to look at the law, check of the things that show you're complying with the law, write out what you're using, make duplicates of everything, send it in (getting a receipt) and you're fine. This is going to be fine.

Next fall, you'll rinse and repeat, this time including test scores. You don't need any test scores when you register the first time. School before age 6 is not mandatory, so you don't need to show test scores from anything done then.

Sadly because I notified for K last summer I have to send in scores for the year. I didn't have to notify but didn't realize it. If I hadn't notified I wouldn't have had to send in scores, but because I did I have to. :sad: It feels so wrong but it is what it is. My second daughter is starting K this year, we are not notifying for her.

I agree with Elisabeth, and I sure am hoping that you didn't notify last year...unless you pulled her out of K. There are also multiple other sites, local and state, that have all the info on them as well.

As far as thinking your kid is below par, she isn't. That is the first test she's ever taken and remember these two things... in Ohio, *IF* you score 25th or 24th % ile and below, composite score.... you still get to HS for another year to show improvement, before they wouldn't approve your homeschooling notification. To show you how silly this is, if you DID have a kid score below that on a test, and you paid for the test, you do not need to turn it in. You could do a portfolio assessment.

If you look at all her scores and average them out, while she might have had some pretty low, she had others quite high. With those scores she definitely would've scored over the low percentile threshold anyway.

Don't sweat it! K testing is really, really, weird. :D

Thanks for the encouragement, it really made me feel a lot better!! Sadly I did notify. Do you think I should just send in the full test they gave me since it doesn't have a composite score on it? I am way behind on the sending, so time is of the essence. I got behind on things with my Mother flying in and visiting and having a new baby, among other things. Ack.

no i would not just send them everything on the test paper. They dont need to see everything. I would white out everything BUT her name/important info (Address/age/etc)/test name/scores you listed above.

IMO ;)

I've seen a lot of ppl say that, but i dont see the point. They dont need to see everything, but what does it matter? They arent grading you as a homeschooler and they are obligated to follow the law? Really, its hard enough for me to copy the thing and get it in the mail!

I'm in Ohio, and we use the CAT. Both of my dc took the CAT last year, but apparently the kindergarten CAT is a little different than the older grades (both the tests and result sheets are different). Dd8's test results have a composite score; dd6's do not. I don't think writing to them would get you a composite score on that one--I don't think there is one. I just make a copy of the test results and send it in. I have heard of just copying parts of the result sheet--covering parts with plain paper, but I never have. Dd8 even has a low score in one area, but her composite score is good; the district doesn't say anything.

Edited by gardening momma

Yesterday we got our Seton CAT test back for my daughters K year and I cannot find a composite score to send in with our notification. We are late, but are in contact with the school district about it. She didn't do that great. I am hoping we will still qualify for homeschooling in Ohio? :confused:

Visual Recognition Percentile 71 Stanine 6

Sound Recognition Percentile 65 Stanine 6

Vocabulary Percentile 40 Stanine 4

Comprehension Percentile 29 Stanine 4

Language Expression Percentile 52 Stanine 5

Concept&Application Percentile 16 Stanine 3

*Reading Total Percentile 34 Stanine 4

Thanks for your help!!

ETA: Ohio law requires she has a "composite score at or above the twenty-fifth percentile."

If there was a composite score for this test, she'd definitely be above the 25%. Yes, you still qualify for homeschooling in OH. Just copy it and send the copy in. They can figure it out at a glance.

I've seen a lot of ppl say that, but i dont see the point. They dont need to see everything, but what does it matter? They arent grading you as a homeschooler and they are obligated to follow the law? Really, its hard enough for me to copy the thing and get it in the mail!

It matters because the law says composite score only (or only lists composite score percentile, which is the same thing), and if some people send in the whole battery, it looks bad for those of us who follow the law. We have enough trouble in various districts with admins. not understanding the law and thinking they have the right to all the info, or in some cases more info. Really, it is none of their business, they have nothing to do with the kid's education...

Also, it brings in the possible stupidity of someone thinking if you score below 25th in any one subject, they can get all up in your business. Totally not worth it, when all you need to do is photocopy it with a paper over all the good bits.

OP, did you know that you can just average out the score and write that on a sheet of paper with all the test info and use that? You can. I know many who just write the comp score and list the test name, date taken, company taken with , then they sign it. You can also photocopy part of it (with the relevant info on the top) and write composite score on bottom and sign that too. If they ask for something more/clarification within the 14 days, THEN send in the whole thing if you want, or tell them no. You have many options.

Don't feel bad about notifying in the first place, it happens. :D

Edited by radiobrain

Do you think I should just send in the full test they gave me since it doesn't have a composite score on it?

I have never sent in the actual test report or bothered to make a copy to send in. I email my notification paperwork each year and include a page that lists my kids' names, the name of the test taken, the date taken and the composite scores. I have never been asked to send in an "official" score report.

Also, as others have mentioned, you always have the option to have a portfolio evaluation instead of sending in test scores.

Thanks all of you for all your advice, I truly appreciate it!!

It matters because the law says composite score only (or only lists composite score percentile, which is the same thing), and if some people send in the whole battery, it looks bad for those of us who follow the law. We have enough trouble in various districts with admins. not understanding the law and thinking they have the right to all the info, or in some cases more info. Really, it is none of their business, they have nothing to do with the kid's education...

Also, it brings in the possible stupidity of someone thinking if you score below 25th in any one subject, they can get all up in your business. Totally not worth it, when all you need to do is photocopy it with a paper over all the good bits.

OP, did you know that you can just average out the score and write that on a sheet of paper with all the test info and use that? You can. I know many who just write the comp score and list the test name, date taken, company taken with , then they sign it. You can also photocopy part of it (with the relevant info on the top) and write composite score on bottom and sign that too. If they ask for something more/clarification within the 14 days, THEN send in the whole thing if you want, or tell them no. You have many options.

Don't feel bad about notifying in the first place, it happens. :D

I researched composite scores and from what I could glean they are not just an average. I think I am going to just photocopy the results and send them in. I don't want to get in trouble for sending in the wrong information. I wrote Seton asking if they knew what the composite score of the test was and they haven't responded. I am afraid to be any later with my notification as I am already late with getting it in.