Menu

We have the set as a supplement. Dd14 has used it but not extensively. For her this means when she has finished her primary latin course for the year. Only a third of the way through the first book. The course is intuitive--you learn by reading and following the clues in the margins. The workbook has several exercises to go with each passage. There are also several very thin reference books-- dictionaries etc. I did not realize that the answer book was separate and had to place a second order--dd found it impossible without it. I don't think there is an english translation of the passages in any of the answer books. I can find them and look if you need me to. This program is a bit confusing to use IMO -- to many separate books! Dd leaves them all over!

I hope this helps some. We don't use it the way you plan to. I don't think it is a popular choice here so not sure how many responses you will get. I think for your purposes just reading and translating the pages out loud with your dc would make it a good supplement. I use Cambridge that way with ds12.

We have:

Pars I Familia Romana

Exercitia Latina I

Teachers Materials (covers both Parts)

Latine Disco Student's Manual

Latin-English I

Grammatica Latina

The answer book contains both the answers for Exercita Latina and copies of chapter tests with their answers.

There may be a set on a cd availiable for purchase. I think I saw one after I bought the hard copies. I haven't bought the second set yet. Just need book and wookbook.

This is what we have:

Pars I Familia Romana

Exercitia Latina I

College Companion

The College Companion is a great sub for Latine Disco.

My daughter reads the chapter and side notes in FR one day, grammatica latina in the chapter the next, read the CC chapter the next, does the Pensum from FR the next and then over the next few days does the exercises out of EL. At the end I like her to review both the chapter in FR and the CC.

I don't do much. Latin is one of her favourite subjects and she pretty much works through this independently. She came to it after finishing GSWL and LOVES it.

I plan to work through LL with my son. He'll be starting GSWL within the next year or two.

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Dawn! I came here to get reviews and your post told me exactly what I needed. We are currently going through GWSL and have been searching for what to use next year. I bought Latin Alive, but after looking through it, it isn't really what I was wanting. Searching around on the GSWL site pointed me to Lingva Latina. While it looks exactly like what I am looking for, I was thrilled to see someone use it successfully. I pulled up the sample and my DS was able to translate the first page without help and we are only 20 lessons into the GSWL. Yay! I am returning Latin Alive tomorrow! :) Thanks!

Suzie

This is what we have:

Pars I Familia Romana

Exercitia Latina I

College Companion

The College Companion is a great sub for Latine Disco.

My daughter reads the chapter and side notes in FR one day, grammatica latina in the chapter the next, read the CC chapter the next, does the Pensum from FR the next and then over the next few days does the exercises out of EL. At the end I like her to review both the chapter in FR and the CC.

I don't do much. Latin is one of her favourite subjects and she pretty much works through this independently. She came to it after finishing GSWL and LOVES it.

I plan to work through LL with my son. He'll be starting GSWL within the next year or two.

I am taking a one day per week class with my dd that uses this program. The teacher basically structures the class around the exercise book. We read a section (the lines of text in each section are listed in the exercise book) together in class and discuss what we think the vocabulary means by the context. Each week, there are a few new endings to learn. We are making charts of the endings. The teacher has emphasized the importance of this.

Then, at home, we do a couple of exercises in the workbook each day and read the new text that goes along with those exercises. I'd say we spend about 45 minutes a day on this. The Pensa at the end of each chapter are used as our practice tests, but are pretty similar to the tests the teacher gives.

I put all of our vocabulary and the questions and answers for the learning objectives (from the workbook) in Anki (free smart flashcard software) for review and practice.

I did buy the College Companion and it seems to be covering most of what the teacher is, so I have thought we could just do it at home. I do like having the class though, because it is helpful to have the main things we need to learn pointed out. This class covers 8 or 10 chapters a year for younger children so that the book is completed in 3 years. For children 12 and up, they complete it over 2 years.

Just to give some perspective, we are only on Chapter 3.

Lisa

It would have to count for a lot. On the Focus website there is a plan using the book for 6th to 8th grade, and the 8th graders are given a highschool Latin credit. The College Companion is a guide to doing LL over two college semesters (and calls it a Herculean task) -- it mentions the classes meet 3 times a week, so I'd guess LL is worth at least 6 college level credits, how that translates to high school, I don't know (not there yet!). I hope that helps you, it's such a neat book! Someday I'll even get to the end of it, LOL.

What is the consensus on counting it for high school credit?

From what I've read I think it's generally covered over two years and counts as two credits. I don't have to worry about credits here and Latin is only in a few high schools in the whole province so I'm content to let Catherine go through at her own pace even if it takes her the rest of her high school years. She's still doing more then 99% of Nova Scotian high schoolers.