Menu

birthday cake idea needed for my almost 12 year old girl

I have always prided myself on the making and decorating the birthday cakes each year for my kids...but this year my daughter (who is going to be 12) wants something "more grown-up" which is fine, but she doesn't know what she wants beyond that thought....can anybody here help me with some ideas??

My 12 year olds favorite birthday cake is this:

Take 1 package of oreos (I know, evil, full of hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn syrup) and crush them. Pour into bottom of pyrex dish.

Take half gallon of favorite ice cream flavor (softened) and spread on top of oreos. Put in freezer for an hour or two, until ice cream is firm again.

Add a layer of whip cream. Cover dish and put back in freezer.

I usually just add sprinkles prior to serving.

What about piping a diamond shaped pattern on cake, then putting edible pearls on the line intersections. I can't find an image. I'll edit and add one if I can find one. But what I am thinking of is a cake my niece had. Her mom iced the cake in pink, then piped on the diamond pattern and put the pearls on.

Does that make sense?

eta: http://sweetindulgencescakes.com/?p=223 like this except she piped the shape

Edited by saraha

that is adorable...we are on the Feingold Diet, so I will have to see what I can do to replace the Kit Kat bars (there are approved M&M's)..but not Kit Kat's. hmmm...have to think on that.

I have no idea what is restricted on that diet but Twix would work too. Really almost any candy bar would.

My 12yo wanted an angel food cake (really easy to make from scratch btw).

I decorated it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. She was happy and it was yummy.

Perhaps look at purchasing from a good bakery this year (a more grown-up flavor and decorations--- like chocolate curls)

I would LOVE to have your angel food cake recipe PLEASE!!!!

I have no idea what is restricted on that diet but Twix would work too. Really almost any candy bar would.

the foods that are restricted are artifical dyes, flavors and preservatives. So many candy bars use artifical dyes and flavors (even vanilla). But I could use a plain, approved, chocolate candy bar, right??

My 12 year olds favorite birthday cake is this:

Take 1 package of oreos (I know, evil, full of hydrogenated oil, and high fructose corn syrup) and crush them. Pour into bottom of pyrex dish.

Take half gallon of favorite ice cream flavor (softened) and spread on top of oreos. Put in freezer for an hour or two, until ice cream is firm again.

Add a layer of whip cream. Cover dish and put back in freezer.

I usually just add sprinkles prior to serving.

My 15 yr old requested this....yummy

My daughter's 13th is this weekend. We're doing chocolate cake, oreo filling and buttercream icing with an edible image of her fave anime on top. Public or Edible Image can make custom images and they are reasonable. Licensed images are not accepted so we stick with either photos or images we are the owners of. Edible Images has many images they have license to use.

The Oreo filling is awesome:

Oreo Cookies and Cream Filling (6 Cups)

2 1/2 C heavy cream

1/4 C confectioner's sugar (I call it "powdered sugar")

1/2 Tsp pure vanilla extract

20 Oreos (I used double stuffed.)

1. In a bowl, beat cream, sugar, and vanilla until stiff.

2. Gently fold in Oreos.

The buttercream is fab too. It is the Wilton Extra-Special Frosting:

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Extra-Special-Buttercream-Icing-1

For the flavoring, I do 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon butter flavor. I use the shortening instead of butter if I'm using an Edible Image (just seems to work better).

For the cake, I usually do a modified box mix but for this cake I just used the straight box mix (Duncan Hines Moist). It will work fine.

HEY, I had this made at Whole Foods, but my daughter brought them in a picture. It was just a big chocolate cake with a Mardi Gras mask/Venice opera mask. They simply took a white plastic mask and put colored fondant over it. I think that you could just put a really cool mask from Michael's or somewhere on it.

Anyway, it as a double birthday party with her best friend - they share a birthday 3 days apart. They wanted all the girls to dress up and wear masks. It was very fun, and we played twister and other games.

have fun

ReneeR

One of my favorite cakes ever was made for me by my roommate when I lived in France. He made a two layer round chocolate cake. On the first layer, he just spread a little chocolate frosting on the top and then a layer of strawberries. Then he put the top layer on and frosted the top of it with a thicker coat of chocolate frosting. He spelled out Happy Birthday on that with cut up strawberries and made little flowers out of strawberry slices. He did not frost the sides, so you could see the layer of strawberries in the middle. It was a lovely, but still fun and delicious cake. I wish I had a picture of it.