Menu

How much does a replacement retainer usually cost?

DS broke his fairly early in his ortho treatment (from eating popcorn as well which he was NOT supposed to be eating!) and our ortho replaced it at no charge.

Why would they need a new mold if he just got it?? The size wouldn't have changed so the lab would have it on file, no?

Hope your ortho is as generous as ours!

It's $150 at our orthodontist's office for a replacement, but ours has had mercy on us and didn't charge for the last one. Maybe because it didn't last as long as he had told us it would. Someone there once told me they don't re-use the molds because they get torn up in the process of casting the new device. Don't know if that's really true. Probably there's a storage issue too with molds being made for lots of patients.

Our ortho warned us that dogs Love retainers. I guess it's true. I don't don't if the scary $350 price I remember was for one or both, but he does adjustments and fixes broken ones for free forever. He is just really tough on replacement.

Yeah, it seemed like the dog could smell them and hunt them down even if they weren't in easy reach. Now the rule is, in a closed drawer. Of course, dd needs to see things to remember and she can't see the retainer when it's in a drawer. :001_smile:

We have another dd in a palate expander. For her, I will put off braces for as long as I can. It might take until she's 30 until I'm confident she'll be able to keep a retainer safe from the dog. That's pretty hopeful thinking about the dog, isn't it? :001_huh: