Menu

I was reading a very old post about helping siblings get along. One very wise Mama (and I don't remember who - so if it was you - please chime in!) said that in order to promote sibling harmony she had to set the tone. If she was smiling, helpful, and generous she noticed her children acted that way too.

This got me thinking....;)

How do I set the tone for other things in my house?

How do I set the tone for loving history, writing for fun and communication, science as an intellectual playground, and a passion for learning?

I have been putting a pot of tea and lit candle on the table in the mornings while the older boys work on their math.

I have been asking my darling 13 year old boy questions when we are out walking like, "if you are putting a roof on the duck house (he is) is it area you need or perimeter?"

I have been ordering more history DVD's from the library and have introduced my older boys to my current favorite African American Lives. This has spurred my oldest to get really interested in genealogy.

I have been taking out books for myself (!!) from the library instead of just children's books (I have two younger kids too). AND I've been taking picture books and chapter books out from the kids section I want to read.

I have been writing reviews (in our family review book) of the books I've read and movies we've watched.

I have been writing silly things, like yesterday I wrote the story of a new element found - POO POO Onium. Can you guess where this element is found? (I'm a bit punchy with no sleep from teething baby :)

I find that the more I am involved in real learning and questioning and gathering that my children follow suit.

So how do you set the tone in your house - for harmony, learning, full fledged living?

I'd love to hear! :bigear:

:bigear:

there are some good ideas already on this thread. :001_smile:

we use music. since they were little, i've played mozart while they do math. now, when the mozart goes on, everyone just settles in to work.

we use beach boys to clean the house to, too ;)

hth,

ann

my current favorite African American Lives. This has spurred my oldest to get really interested in genealogy.

Okay, this doesn't really respond to your great question about setting the tone, but my family's been having the best time watching Skip Gates' "Finding Your Roots" series together:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/finding-your-roots/

Love it.

And come to think of it, Dr. Gates' programs set a great tone themselves -- looking for the best in people, really, and ultimately focusing on the most positive parts of family, despite the pains of history.

Tia

My favorite bit of writing ever in this vein came from this post:

http://mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/2006/03/it-all-begins-with-me.html

which I am sure has been linked many times before.

I have it on my fridge, in my favorites, in my chapbook..... I come back to it yearly and always need to adhere to it's advice more closely.

Thank you, Mentalmultivitamin. :)