Menu

TOG Year 1 with SOTW spine chronologically?

Literary Mom

I am on the fence about whether to follow TOG Year 1 as written or painstakingly rearrange it to go chronologically (an option, though not the preferred one, presented in the TOG Yr 1 introduction), so that I can continue to use SOTW as our spine (even though TOG only lists it as an alternate) because I really enjoyed all 4 years of SOTW with my oldest (following WTM) and want to do it again with my younger two. The only problem is that it's not a perfect fit, as TOG doesn't always line up with SOTW, even when rearranged chronologically.

Any other input on meshing Tapestry of Grace with the Well Trained Mind is also appreciated, as that's what I'm attempting to do all the way around.

Guest MsFrizz

That's a tough one. I am doing SOTW mostly in order, but in book 1 when it jumped to China and then back to Rome after one chapter and stayed in Rome ,I just stayed in Rome until I was done and then went back to China. Does that make sense? As long as I didn't get too far off of the time line, I felt it was OK to move around a bit to keep subject matter in order.

:willy_nilly:

I rearranged TOG to do Weeks 4-6, then 1-3, and then straight through from week 7 on. We are using Story of the World also and while it's been a bit choppy, it's been fine. I don't have it in front of me, but I think I moved things around so that we did the intro at our beginning instead of our week 4.

Being the glutton for pain that I am, I have decided to rearrange TOG to fit with SOTW. I feel pretty good about it, though...let's hope I still do once we're putting it in practice :)

I did move one chapter of SOTW and I combined some (consecutive ones) since I needed to put 42 weeks into 36. I won't be doing all weeks of TOG but since it's supposed to be "pick and choose" anyway, this reformatting is actually helping me do that. I also compared the books (for the first 9 chapters of SOTW AG) with the ones for TOG and there is some overlap, so I'm ordering them all from the library (we have a really good system here in the SF Bay Area) and will use whatever seems like the best fit.

The hardest part (besides the reworking) was philosophical - choosing between using a chronological approach (SOTW) and a Biblically ordered one (TOG) so I actually let the kids decide, and they wanted to go in order - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :D

• 6 months later...

I rearranged TOG to do Weeks 4-6, then 1-3, and then straight through from week 7 on. We are using Story of the World also and while it's been a bit choppy, it's been fine. I don't have it in front of me, but I think I moved things around so that we did the intro at our beginning instead of our week 4.

This is what I plan to do once we hit TOG 1. We started in TOG 2 and are on TOG 3 right now.

Being the glutton for pain that I am, I have decided to rearrange TOG to fit with SOTW. I feel pretty good about it, though...let's hope I still do once we're putting it in practice :)

I did move one chapter of SOTW and I combined some (consecutive ones) since I needed to put 42 weeks into 36. I won't be doing all weeks of TOG but since it's supposed to be "pick and choose" anyway, this reformatting is actually helping me do that. I also compared the books (for the first 9 chapters of SOTW AG) with the ones for TOG and there is some overlap, so I'm ordering them all from the library (we have a really good system here in the SF Bay Area) and will use whatever seems like the best fit.

The hardest part (besides the reworking) was philosophical - choosing between using a chronological approach (SOTW) and a Biblically ordered one (TOG) so I actually let the kids decide, and they wanted to go in order - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree :D

I would be interested in seeing your schedule and knowing how it went for you so far. :)