13 replies to this topic

#1 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

We are trying A Beka DVD (for my oldest two) this year as I need to free up my time since I will have a newborn shortly after we start. Is A Beka DVD really as non-teacher intensive as I am expecting? I am expecting to just have to grade and listen to them read certain selections.

Also, is it difficult for the children to transition into? They are coming from R&S math and English. I have heard A Beka is ahead of most others out there... is this true? Then English does not seem more advanced than R&S, but the math might be. Has anyone had issues with this?

#2 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2773 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

We use Abeka math (no DVD). It is "ahead" at some (mostly lower) levels vs. some programs (but not Singapore/Math Mammoth & only slightly ahead of Horizons & CLE).

It shouldn't be too bad for your oldest as Abeka "slows down" at the 5th/6th grade levels. Arithmetic 3 is a hard year to jump into.

I've never seen R&S math, so I have no idea how it is vs. that one.

*bumping for you*

#3 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20956 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

I don't believe ABeka is ahead or behind any other publisher. Neither is BJUP, R&S, Alpha Omega, or the rest. They are all just different. :)

#4 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

I'm not sure I like the spiral approach with math... it's definitely making me a little nervous. I feel like A Beka is ahead in their scope and sequence compared to Rod & Staff, but maybe it's just me.

Oh, and thanks for bumping, RootAnn! :D Did you switch into A Beka or have you always used it?

#5 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2773 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

We've "always" used it. I switched from Abeka for my oldest to try CLE for the 4/400 level. (Won't be doing that again. I liked CLE. She didn't. BEGGED to go back to Abeka. It would be a mistake to change curriculum for child #2.)

Child #3 started with Miquon & continues Abeka with a Miquon-like approach (discovery) to math. She's definitely my strongest math student, but she would probably be that regardless of how she started out.

Youngest two will hopefully start with a Miquon-type approach to math, but will probably continue with Abeka once they are solid in their numbers, place value, and addition/subtraction facts through the 10s.

My kids NEED spiral math. They can't remember squat (math or otherwise) unless it is repeated continually over & over again daily.

But it definitely isn't for everyone. (Thus, the spiral math thread, yes?)

Edited by RootAnn, 20 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.
added link to spiral math program thread

#6 jayb842

jayb842

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

We are using the dvd's for both kids this year. DD is a junior in high school. Ds is in 4th grade. I need the high school help. From what other moms have told me is that the math is tougher all the way through. DD's Algebra 2 book is more like college algebra. I feel like dd will be well prepared for college when we get done. Most of the people I know, who test find the kids score very high because of Abeka.
I've done 5 days with ds. It's tough but he likes the challenge. He would go in and do most of it himself. I do grade and keep up with his subjects to review.
Will you have your child do the homework?

#7 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

That spiral math thread made it sound intimidating! We are used to mastery, but we'll still give it a try... I don't really have any other choice at the moment.

jayb842, is your child frustrated by the math so far? What were you using before? I am definitely having my kids do the homework. I think they need as much practice as they can get. How long is it taking for you to finish each day?

#8 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20956 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm not sure I like the spiral approach with math... it's definitely making me a little nervous. I feel like A Beka is ahead in their scope and sequence compared to Rod & Staff, but maybe it's just me.

Only in the first three grade levels of math.

Also, understand that often (especially in math) an "advanced" concept might be very lightly touched on, so it's in the scope and sequence, but it isn't truly taught until much later. R&S just doesn't do that. Children who complete Beginning Arithmetic, Working Arithmetic, and Exploring Arithmetic (assuming their parents have done the appropriate oral instruction) have a solid foundation in basic arithmetic and are ready for more.

I prefer R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure to ABeka's Spelling and Poetry. R&S includes poetry in a more appropriate place--the English series; and the exercises are much more challenging, IMHO.

ABeka's history and science are ok. R&S's are ok. :-) I lean a little more towards R&S science, but I'm ok with ABeka. :-)

#9 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Only in the first three grade levels of math.

Also, understand that often (especially in math) an "advanced" concept might be very lightly touched on, so it's in the scope and sequence, but it isn't truly taught until much later. R&S just doesn't do that. Children who complete Beginning Arithmetic, Working Arithmetic, and Exploring Arithmetic (assuming their parents have done the appropriate oral instruction) have a solid foundation in basic arithmetic and are ready for more.

I prefer R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure to ABeka's Spelling and Poetry. R&S includes poetry in a more appropriate place--the English series; and the exercises are much more challenging, IMHO.

ABeka's history and science are ok. R&S's are ok. :-) I lean a little more towards R&S science, but I'm ok with ABeka. :-)

From what I have seen, A Beka introduced double digit multiplication at the end of 3rd grade and starts it within the first couple of weeks in 4th grade. R&S doesn't start that until sometime in the second half of 4th grade. R&S gives more time to review before going into it, which many students probably need. That's the problem with A Beka math. There is no need to throw this stuff at the kids earlier just to look more rigorous, ya know?

R&S needs to make a DVD program or at least write the lessons for the students. I need something more independent at this time and there are not many choices!

#10 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20956 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

From what I have seen, A Beka introduced double digit multiplication at the end of 3rd grade and starts it within the first couple of weeks in 4th grade. R&S doesn't start that until sometime in the second half of 4th grade. R&S gives more time to review before going into it, which many students probably need. That's the problem with A Beka math. There is no need to throw this stuff at the kids earlier just to look more rigorous, ya know?

Exactly.

R&S needs to make a DVD program or at least write the lessons for the students. I need something more independent at this time and there are not many choices!

Oh, there will definitely not ever be R&S-produced DVDs, lol.

What about Developmental Math?

#11 jayb842

jayb842

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

School is taking about 4.5 to 5 hours a day. Ds is doing okay in math. He can't stay with the class in oral computations. He has to work very hard to get everything correct. He is stopping the DVD to work through the math.
We used Calvert last year. He was in public school before. A Beka's math is covering everything that Calvert's was going in 4th grade. I think the spiral approach will work better for ds. DS has done cross multiplication this summer. We may need work in long division but we’ll see it a lot through the year. We live in Texas and A beka will be including some 6th grade work.

#12 pwerica

pwerica

Just Visiting

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

We used Abeka DVD last year and yes they teach everything. The only thing I had to do was referee to make sure he paid attention! We had done Horizons Kindergarten before starting Abeka for 1st, then second grade. I liked how the DVDs worked. I would warn you though, that somethings the teacher does very quickly! My son is very smart, but not extremely fast! Some of these kids had the answers before she finished the question and it frusterated my son.

#13 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Exactly.

Oh, there will definitely not ever be R&S-produced DVDs, lol.

What about Developmental Math?

LOL, it would be neat though!

School is taking about 4.5 to 5 hours a day. Ds is doing okay in math. He can't stay with the class in oral computations. He has to work very hard to get everything correct. He is stopping the DVD to work through the math.
We used Calvert last year. He was in public school before. A Beka's math is covering everything that Calvert's was going in 4th grade. I think the spiral approach will work better for ds. DS has done cross multiplication this summer. We may need work in long division but we’ll see it a lot through the year. We live in Texas and A beka will be including some 6th grade work.

So you do not work from 8:20 until 3:00? I was hoping it wouldn't take quite that long. Is the time you gave including homework time?

We used Calvert, before, but 1st and 2nd grade was so boring, I couldn't take it anymore. The higher grades looked great, but I didn't want to pay all that money for each grade. If I'm going to pay that much, it better be for a DVD program, lol.

Did you say you are doing the accredited version? I'm not sure if we should do it or not.

We used Abeka DVD last year and yes they teach everything. The only thing I had to do was referee to make sure he paid attention! We had done Horizons Kindergarten before starting Abeka for 1st, then second grade. I liked how the DVDs worked. I would warn you though, that somethings the teacher does very quickly! My son is very smart, but not extremely fast! Some of these kids had the answers before she finished the question and it frusterated my son.

I saw the sample videos and, yes, those kids are fast! I bet my kids are going to get mad, lol. What made you switch? Was there something you didn't like?

#14 Jinnah

Jinnah

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3079 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

:bigear: