Menu

How do I thicken homemade ranch style dressing?

I have been playing around with various spices making my own ranch style dressing.

I am not trying to imitate Hidden Valley, I just like trying different tastes.

I have made some satisfactory spice mixes but the dressing is always runny. I make it 1c milk and 1c mayo and add spice mix to taste.

How do I make it thicken?

I keep xanthum gum on hand for dressing and GF baking things. A tiny pinch in homemade dressing really keeps it together. I like to make buttermilk dressing but it coats so much better with the addition.

We were GF when my older dd was home, but are not now. I don't have any xanthum gum (sent it with her) but I have cornstarch and chia seeds. Would you think either of these would work?

Use plain yogurt or sour cream instead of most of the milk. I always do equal parts plain yogurt and mayo, then add milk until it is the desired consistency.

:iagree:Yes, this. The cultured dairy gives it a nice tang too. Buttermilk also works well. Thinner than sc, but thicker than regular milk and adds nice taste.