Menu

NCAA Registration

I just downloaded the 2012-2013 NCAA Informational Brochure. I thought I had read last year that we register our kids at the beginning of junior year, but the 2012-2013 guidelines state that students are to register at the beginning of their sophomore years at www.eligibilitycenter.org.

The registration fee is going to increase on September 1, 2012, to $70, so if you have a sophomore, you may want to register this month before the rate increase kicks in.

Do you HAVE to register so early or can you just go ahead and do it?

I have no idea, but to be on the safe side I went ahead and registered. I feel pretty well-versed in the whole college application process, but no where near as confident in navigating the NCAA approval process.

Being a recruited athlete adds another dimension to the whole college application process. This is the first year I have been following College Confidential and the tennis recruiting website. I am amazed at how many rising seniors have already committed to a college. I have a lot to learn in the next two years.:eek:

I just downloaded the 2012-2013 NCAA Informational Brochure. I thought I had read last year that we register our kids at the beginning of junior year, but the 2012-2013 guidelines state that students are to register at the beginning of their sophomore years at www.eligibilitycenter.org.

Fascinating! My rising junior plays on a basketball team with rising seniors. Since they were going to a national tournament, the coaches told us to register with the NCAA. The story was that NCAA college coaches cannot talk to student athletes who have not registered with the NCAA. I had not done it yet because I was waiting for junior year. So, we registered a few months ago.

Do you HAVE to register so early or can you just go ahead and do it?

:confused: I am not 100% certain of the answer, but I heard a rumor that college coaches can look on the NCAA site at the athlete's information. When ds took the ACT in June, I had the scores sent to the NCAA. If my understanding is correct, college coaches will know at a glance that ds is a bright athlete. That's to his advantage.

Now, all I know is rumors, so I could be wrong, but why wait?

Being a recruited athlete adds another dimension to the whole college application process. This is the first year I have been following College Confidential and the tennis recruiting website. I am amazed at how many rising seniors have already committed to a college. I have a lot to learn in the next two years.:eek:

Yeah, we don't think my ds will be recruited by any school he'd want to attend, but he might be able to walk on so I'm not totally sure how all this NCAA stuff effects us; I don't have any concerns about the academic part for NCAA because he'll be admitted based on his academic skills not his athletic skills. BUT I'm not sure about registration NOW, when depending on where he is admitted, this maybe a total non-issue.

Yeah, we don't think my ds will be recruited by any school he'd want to attend, but he might be able to walk on so I'm not totally sure how all this NCAA stuff effects us; I don't have any concerns about the academic part for NCAA because he'll be admitted based on his academic skills not his athletic skills. BUT I'm not sure about registration NOW, when depending on where he is admitted, this maybe a total non-issue.

It is my understanding (which may not be accurate) that even if your son was a walk on, he would still need to have NCAA approval if he wanted to compete if his college was a Div I or Div. II school.

Athletes who compete at the Div III level do not have to go through the NCAA approval process (I am 100% sure about this statement.)

It is my understanding (which may not be accurate) that even if your son was a walk on, he would still need to have NCAA approval if he wanted to compete if his college was a Div I or Div. II school.

Athletes who compete at the Div III level do not have to go through the NCAA approval process (I am 100% sure about this statement.)

This is my understanding as well. The NCAA eligibility paperwork has to be done in order to practice or play as a freshman.