Menu

Because only people here will understand....

I've managed to enter almost all of Sonlight Core H into Homeschool Tracker Online. History, Readers, and Poetry are all in. Still need to do read alouds. (and we are doing something different for Bible, so not that). Over 400 entries.

That is all.

• Like 9

Awesome! You are a go-getter! I'm not entering the Sonlight Core into HST+, seems like too much work for me, haha. Instead, I am just doing Week One, Day 1, etc Week Two, Day 1, etc....that way I can add any additional things I need to do that day, ie add in SOTW chapters, but I am not actually entering the Sonlight stuff.

Awesome! You are a go-getter! I'm not entering the Sonlight Core into HST+, seems like too much work for me, haha. Instead, I am just doing Week One, Day 1, etc Week Two, Day 1, etc....that way I can add any additional things I need to do that day, ie add in SOTW chapters, but I am not actually entering the Sonlight stuff.

I did that with Noeo, but with this I wanted it all in. Mainly I don't want to drag the big notebook out, or hand it to my kid. So in it goes. Honestly, it has gone MUCH more smoothly than I predicted. I seem to have it figured out as to the best way to enter, and so far so good.

Way to go. I finally figured out how to input assignments using HST + and now I am going through my schedule to decide what I need to let go. It never fails that the overachiever in me always comes out during the planning phase. So even though I am not done inputting I will be deleting, archiving or reclassifying much of what already is there. :svengo:

• Like 1

I've managed to enter almost all of Sonlight Core H into Homeschool Tracker Online. History, Readers, and Poetry are all in. Still need to do read alouds. (and we are doing something different for Bible, so not that). Over 400 entries.

That is all.

You are my hero. :blushing: HST intimidates me. I'm in the middle of spreadsheets and word documents for TOG and Biology currently.

Wow everyone, thanks for the praise! I'm blushing!

I've used HST for 2 years now, so I know my way around, but the online version is a bit different. Plus I've never put THIS much in at once. But with the new baby coming I figure the more I do now the less to do later.

LOL, I think it is my version of nesting. I'm due in 4 weeks. And we are in the final stages (I hope) of a remodel/repair, so my house is torn up. I can't do any of the normal nesting, so this lets me feel like I'm doing SOMETHING.

And if anyone needs lesson plans for Core H let me know, I think you can share databases, right?

• Like 1

Something I read about HST Online is that even though you input the subject LP for the entire year, you don't want to schedule out the entire year because it's a pain in the patootie to change later. They recommended only doing a couple of weeks at a time in the agenda. You probably know this already, since you are an HST Plus pro, but I'd rather tell you just in case. And if I have it wrong, please educate me because this lack of flexibility has killed HST for me (even though I finally figured out how to use it--ugh), and I've decided to soldier on with my current program even though they are no longer doing updates.

Congrats on the baby, I didn't know! :grouphug:

Something I read about HST Online is that even though you input the subject LP for the entire year, you don't want to schedule out the entire year because it's a pain in the patootie to change later. They recommended only doing a couple of weeks at a time in the agenda. You probably know this already, since you are an HST Plus pro, but I'd rather tell you just in case. And if I have it wrong, please educate me because this lack of flexibility has killed HST for me (even though I finally figured out how to use it--ugh), and I've decided to soldier on with my current program even though they are no longer doing updates.

Congrats on the baby, I didn't know! :grouphug:

Oh, yes, I'm just putting in the Lesson Plans, and then will enter them into the Agenda a week or month at a time. Rescheduling in plus is easier than the online version, but it can be done. I used to reschedule in plus all the time. If I only needed to reschedule say, grammar, I'd do a search for all the grammar assigments, quickly click to highlight all of them, then right click and reschedule. No biggie. The problem with the online version is you can't search like that, so it is a bit of a pain to sort through. But, there are other tricks that let you do pretty much the same thing.

:hurray::hurray::hurray:I'm so proud of you! I'm trying to enter two cores into HST+ before we start school and I'm only halfway through one core.

How do you do it? I found the fastest way was to do it one book at a time. So for say, Classic poetry, since it was scheduled throughout the whole year, I had it automatically make 180 days for it. Then I clicked on the first one, put in what pages, then went to the next one (in online version you hit next), put in those pages, etc. Any day that it wasn't scheduled I changed the Day number to 0. that moved all the blank ones to the front. Then I just deleted all the ones with a day number of 0. It was faster to do that then to keep inputting each week or day separately.

Forgot to say, that after you have the first book in, the next one will be scattered because it is organized by day number. In the online version I can rearrange the lesson plan by resource, so that all the entries for a book are in a row, making it easy to modify each entry with the chapter numbers. Not sure if that is the case with plus, i forget, lol.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Oh, yes, I'm just putting in the Lesson Plans, and then will enter them into the Agenda a week or month at a time. Rescheduling in plus is easier than the online version, but it can be done. I used to reschedule in plus all the time. If I only needed to reschedule say, grammar, I'd do a search for all the grammar assigments, quickly click to highlight all of them, then right click and reschedule. No biggie. The problem with the online version is you can't search like that, so it is a bit of a pain to sort through. But, there are other tricks that let you do pretty much the same thing.

Question why did you choose online over HST +?

• Like 1

Do you find that entering all your assignments into a planner helps your school year. Do you think it really makes a difference in your productivity? This is my third year using a planner, however I am not sure it has made a different with my productivity.

Question why did you choose online over HST +?

Because I am awful at remembering to back the database up, and none of my computers are super reliable. I really do feel better knowing that if one dies I can use the other. And I trust them more than me to back things up. I know that won't be true for everyone.

Otherwise I really do prefer plus.

Do you find that entering all your assignments into a planner helps your school year. Do you think it really makes a difference in your productivity? This is my third year using a planner, however I am not sure it has made a different with my productivity.

YES! If it is in the planner I generally make sure it gets done, or at least feel guilty if it doesn't. If it is just in a worbook somewhere or in my head it never gets done.

• Like 1

And if anyone needs lesson plans for Core H let me know, I think you can share databases, right?

Are there any books that you are adding in? We're doing Core H this fall, but I've altered a few things and always try to have extra books around related to what we are studying because they almost always finish their readers early. They both love to read.

Because I am awful at remembering to back the database up, and none of my computers are super reliable. I really do feel better knowing that if one dies I can use the other. And I trust them more than me to back things up. I know that won't be true for everyone.

Otherwise I really do prefer plus.

YES! If it is in the planner I generally make sure it gets done, or at least feel guilty if it doesn't. If it is just in a worbook somewhere or in my head it never gets done.

Okay thanks!

Wow! I am impressed. I was feeling pretty good about getting 100 TOG books logged into an Excel spreadsheet today. That's peanuts compared to what you got done! :tongue_smilie:

I hate excel so hats off to you too!

Well I have put in all my PK-4 stuff with the exception of our once a month FIAR selections. Now on to second grade material.

I enter one week at a time. I enter all the Bible for the week, then all the history/geography,...In the directions area, I add any extra things I want to do with that lesson. Even if I don't get everything entered before school starts, I can still use my lesson plans. I sent things to my schedule every Sunday.

I have a list of additional literature we are going to read along with our history chapters. How should I add those into HST+?

Do you want to just note when to start each extra book, or do you want to schedule it all out? Either way, first make a lesson plan with your history chapters. Then:

If you just need to note when to start then just go into the history lesson plan and add one entry per book, using the same day number as the corresponding history chapter. So you might have Day 1, History book chapter 1, Day 1, literature book X.

If you want to schedule it all out, you could look to see what day the corresponding history chapters start, and what day they end. Then enter a repeating assignment, with the start day being the day you saw the history chapter starts, and then make the right number of copies for it to end when that part of history ends, and have it auto increment it.

Or, you can make a multiple (repeating?) assignment in the lesson plan that starts on the day you want it to start to correspond with the history chapter, and ends on the day you want it to end, and leave the page numbers blank, or just put "chapter:" or "pages: " in that section. Then, go back in and (in the grid in HST plus), manually add in the page numbers. MUCH faster than entering each assignment separately, as you don't have to keep putting in the name of the book, subject, activity, etc. Just do that once then do the page numbers or chapters manually. That is how I did Sonlight.

Edited to Add: If you are doing that last version, (which is what I do if I'm not reading the same number of chapters or pages a day, and auto increment doesn't work), to make it easier to edit the page/chapter numbers take a second to organize the lesson plan by resource, so that all the entries for that book are in a row.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Do you want to just note when to start each extra book, or do you want to schedule it all out? Either way, first make a lesson plan with your history chapters. Then:

If you just need to note when to start then just go into the history lesson plan and add one entry per book, using the same day number as the corresponding history chapter. So you might have Day 1, History book chapter 1, Day 1, literature book X.

If you want to schedule it all out, you could look to see what day the corresponding history chapters start, and what day they end. Then enter a repeating assignment, with the start day being the day you saw the history chapter starts, and then make the right number of copies for it to end when that part of history ends, and have it auto increment it.

Or, you can make a multiple (repeating?) assignment in the lesson plan that starts on the day you want it to start to correspond with the history chapter, and ends on the day you want it to end, and leave the page numbers blank, or just put "chapter:" or "pages: " in that section. Then, go back in and (in the grid in HST plus), manually add in the page numbers. MUCH faster than entering each assignment separately, as you don't have to keep putting in the name of the book, subject, activity, etc. Just do that once then do the page numbers or chapters manually. That is how I did Sonlight.

Edited to Add: If you are doing that last version, (which is what I do if I'm not reading the same number of chapters or pages a day, and auto increment doesn't work), to make it easier to edit the page/chapter numbers take a second to organize the lesson plan by resource, so that all the entries for that book are in a row.

Thanks

• 2 years later...
Guest koehner

Would anyone be willing to share the Sonlight Core H Homeschool Tracker file with me?  I can email a copy of the IG title page and Invoice to show that I own the Sonlight curriculum.  It would be a big blessing to not have to enter all the data if someone has already done that.

Jody

But with the new baby coming I figure the more I do now the less to do later.

Wait.  What?!  I must have missed something?   :)

:lol:  Just realized this is a VERY old thread that was resurrected.  I was wondering how you could be expecting when you just had your surgery. :)

ETA:  I hope your recovery is going well!