What's with the ads?

Photo

Is it true kids can't eat nuts with braces? Do yours do it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 HappyGrace

HappyGrace

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6212 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

The info that came when dc got their braces said no nuts. But we eat a whole foods diet and nuts are an important part. How bad is it really to eat nuts? I don't understand why they would hurt the braces!

Now, younger ds has a palate expander too-THAT I can understand not having nuts because stuff does get stuck up under there.

But older dd has just regular braces-couldn't she have nuts?

#2 Jennifer in MI

Jennifer in MI

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9073 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think it's because they can break the brackets. My kids have eaten nuts with braces. No biggie. They've only ever broken brackets off with pizza!

#3 melissad2

melissad2

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

I ate nuts with mine. Problem is that they get stuck in them and are hard to get out. I could not eat grits when I had braces because it would take me forever to get them out!

#4 AngieW in Texas

AngieW in Texas

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6102 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

I ate almost all the stuff you weren't supposed to eat with braces and had no problems. The only things I couldn't manage were eating whole apples and eating corn on the cob.

My 14yo just got her braces off. Nuts were no problem (she ate lots of pecans and walnuts). Trident wasn't a problem either. She ended up getting too frustrated with how difficult it was to get popcorn out of her teeth, so she pretty much stopped eating it. She has been enjoying popcorn a lot since she got her braces off two weeks ago.

#5 Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4988 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Nuts get stuck under the wires and in and amongst the brackets and can be a PITA to get out. I ate them anyway and just spent the extra time with floss and a water pik to get them out. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted with the exception of biting into whole apples, hard carrots, etc. I even ate popcorn. The only time I ever popped a bracket was chewing on a pen cap in middle school.

#6 dirty ethel rackham

dirty ethel rackham

Iris Loamsdown of Deephallow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7508 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

We never got that advice. Two boys went through braces and I can't tell you how many pounds of nuts we went through. Never caused a broken bracket. We bought those little brush things for getting food out of braces. Heck, lettuce from a sandwich can get caught.

#7 In the Rain

In the Rain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4342 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

We eat a lot of nuts in our family too. Neither dd lost a bracket or bent a wire due to nuts. Even my dd with a palate expander ate nuts. The only nut I really worried about was almonds. I told dds to be very careful about biting down on them with their molars. We had a water flosser, which cleaned up under the palate expander.

What's with the ads?