Menu

Mrs. Mungo, your baked oatmeal was a hit!

I made it yesterday too, only I omitted all of the brown sugar, and I used coconut milk, and I added slivered almonds and frozen blueberries before baking (so it was purple-ish). My children (10, 7, and 3) loved it, as did I, and the blueberries made it sweet but not sugary. There was only a tiny portion left of the 9x13 pan. My 3yo was so excited that we were having a "breakfast cookie," LOL.

:001_smile:

Here is my baked oatmeal recipe:

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries and/or bananas after it's finished cooking.

Eta: You can add an extra egg or two, if you are looking to up the calories and/or protein. It won't change the texture or anything.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Sorry, I should have thought to share it too.

Mrs. Mungo's Baked Oatmeal

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. butter

2 eggs

2 c. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

Combine all, bake in 13X9 pan at 375 for 25 minutes. Mrs. Mungo recommends adding almonds and blueberries after baking.

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all ingredients together (I soften the butter and cut it into the dry ingredients before mixing in the wet ingredients) and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.

I add chopped almonds and blueberries and/or bananas after it's finished cooking.

Eta: You can add an extra egg or two, if you are looking to up the calories and/or protein. It won't change the texture or anything.

This looks yummy! Thanks! :001_smile:

Can someone tell me about the texture of this once it's baked?

Moose can't eat oatmeal (sensory thing) but loves oatmeal cookies. Zee loves both oatmeal and oatmeal cookies. So if it's the right texture, my boys might like this...

It is denser than regular oatmeal. It is somewhere between oatmeal and an oatmeal cookie. Eta: If I cook it ahead, then I cut it into squares and refrigerate it. So, it is solid enough to cut into squares. Does that help?

It is denser than regular oatmeal. It is somewhere between oatmeal and an oatmeal cookie. Eta: If I cook it ahead, then I cut it into squares and refrigerate it. So, it is solid enough to cut into squares. Does that help?

Thanks Mrs. Mungo. :001_smile:

I'm thinking I'll halve the recipe and put it in a 9x9 dish. That way we'll be able to try it out without much waste if it's not a hit.

So how do you serve/eat it? In a bowl with milk? EAten out of hand? On a plate with a fork like a piece of cake? If you make it ahead, do you reheat each square?

Sorry to be so dense but I"m having trouble picturing it. I'm thinking this would be good for breakfasts at my house where dh, dd and I are all leaving in different directions in the morning.

astrid

We make baked oatmeal a lot! This is the recipe we use (without the raisins!: http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/02/baked-oatmeal.html)

For eating, we all have our preferences. My daughter prefers to eat hers on a plate, warm, with peanut butter on top (it melts and becomes yummy like frosting!). My son and I like ours in a bowl with milk, sometimes I do peanut butter too.

So how do you serve/eat it? In a bowl with milk? EAten out of hand? On a plate with a fork like a piece of cake? If you make it ahead, do you reheat each square?

Sorry to be so dense but I"m having trouble picturing it. I'm thinking this would be good for breakfasts at my house where dh, dd and I are all leaving in different directions in the morning.

astrid

It is too soft to eat by hand, like a granola bar. You can eat it from a plate like a piece of cake or from a bowl. You can add milk or not. We usually eat it from a bowl with no milk, the bowl just helps contain the added fruit and nuts. Some of my kids prefer it cold, but I reheat mine.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Thanks Mrs. Mungo. :001_smile:

I'm thinking I'll halve the recipe and put it in a 9x9 dish. That way we'll be able to try it out without much waste if it's not a hit.

I'm thinking of doing that too but only because I've only got three oatmeal eaters-- dh, myself and Molly. Mom ate to much oatmeal during the rationing years (WWII) and can't touch the stuff now. :001_smile:

astrid

I am on a mission to wean the fam from store bought cereal, and only one of the kids actually will touch oatmeal at all. I think if I make it like this, I might have a chance. This is brilliant. I have tried just about everything oatmeal-ish and every time there is complete mutiny in the house. I will not give up.:lol:

Thanks again.

Oh yummy!

I made this and just had some out of the oven. Definitely not a square to eat out of hand - more like a crumbly, super moist cake. DH is having some in a bowl with milk - delicious! He would add sliced almonds before baking it.

I made the original recipe and would probably alter it by lessening the brown sugar. I'd like to decrease the butter too, but I don't know how to do that without ruining it. I don't think it would taste the same/as good with oil. Maybe half the butter and 1/2 cup of applesauce, but would that be enough to keep it moist?

I'm awful at adjusting recipes - any advice?

We've started doing an occasional breakfast for dinner. Is this hearty enough for that? Maybe if we add some sausage or bacon?

I would say yes, especially with the fruit and nuts. Sausage or bacon would fill it out fine for dinner, IMO.

I made the original recipe and would probably alter it by lessening the brown sugar. I'd like to decrease the butter too, but I don't know how to do that without ruining it. I don't think it would taste the same/as good with oil. Maybe half the butter and 1/2 cup of applesauce, but would that be enough to keep it moist?

I'm awful at adjusting recipes - any advice?

Hm, all of my recipes are adjusted to be as caloric as I can get them because my kids are on high calorie diets to "cure" their skinniness. ;)

So, I am probably no help, sorry.

Mrs. Mungo,

Thanks for the recipe. Just made it tastes yummy BUT there is a layer of egg on the bottom like bread pudding? What did I do wrong?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html

I added this topping. Had to make it separate because my oatmeal loving DS doesn't like blueberries whereas the rest of us do. So we just spooned it on top.

I just sliced the butter and mixed it into the dry ingredients but there were definitely clumps of butter in the mixture and then added the wet ingredients and mixed as I added each wet ingredient?

I actually cut the butter into the dry ingredients. You can use a pastry blender, a fork or blend it well with your fingers. You don't want big clumps of butter. I blend the wet ingredients and add them all at once. I don't know the science behind all of that; I just know what I was taught to do when making that sort of dish. :confused:

What kind of oatmeal?? Rolled, regular cook?

I use Quaker Old Fashioned Oats; I think those are rolled oats.

I tried your recipe today as well as I cannot find my old one. Very good taste, texture, etc but not quite filling enough. We wiped out a 9x13 w/ sausage as well (and there still not quite full). I think I'll add extra butter and coconut oil and eggs next time. Perhaps I'll sub out 1/2 c oats for 1/2 c. almond meal as well. * I used full fat coconut milk instead of regular milk and half butter and coconut oil.

I melt the butter in mine. When there are leftovers kept in the fridge they can be eaten in hand.

I do the same. I've started to use melted coconut oil instead, and I think it works great. My little guy is allergic to egg, so we've been substituting the eggs with mashed banana. It adds a bit of sweetness, and the flavor is very yummy. I usually add in some frozen blueberries when I do the mashed banana.

I've done all different kinds. Puréed pumpkin with pumpkin pie spice and walnuts, chopped apples with cinnamon and nutmeg, dried cherries and chocolate chips ( yum)...

• 2 weeks later...

3 cups oatmeal

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

我也要试一试。很好吃的吧!I have to give it a try. It looks much easier than making pancakes on weekends. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I melt the butter in mine. I use old fashioned oats that I soak overnight for digestability and consistency (they hold together better). Sometimes I put peanut butter in it in place of the butter. I often times add dark chocolate chips (that is my family's favorite add in). Here is the recipe I use:

http://8500life.blogspot.com/2011/11/favorite-family-breakfast.html