Menu

Removing koolaid hair dye - any luck with that?

My teen dd has an adorably cute red streak in her platinum blond hair, which she did earlier this summer with koolaid. I think it's very cute and she loves it. However....

a new dress code came out over the summer for her private school. No "unnatural" hair colors. We respect the dress code, don't intend to fight it, but that red streak - she did it right, I have to say, that sucker is not fading like past fun color streaks.

Any of you have tried-and-true methods for getting this out? I googled and found a toothpaste method, but also found lots of "that didn't work!" posts, too.

:bigear:

We do not want a haircut!!!

Can you just dip it in peroxide a few times, until it is white? Of course, it might turn all different shades of awful until you get there.

Or, take her to a hair dresser and ask for help. They will prob just bleach it out.

Hey, maybe have some cute high lights put in all over to help the bleached spot blend in.

Did she bleach it right before coloring with the koolaid? The bleach makes hair very porous, so it is hard to get the color out after that. You might try Manic Panic's hair stripper. Her hair is already platinum blonde, So it eon't be too noticeable if it is a bit lighter.

I'm curious how she got it to last?!? My kool-aid dyes never lasted more then a few weeks. I think I'd try to buy a box of hair color that matches her natural shade and give that a try.

From what I've gleaned from my web searches, she had a perfect storm of circumstances - fresh-washed hair, light hair color to start, a warm thick paste of color wrapped in foil and left on a loooong time - it looks great but, wow, it has lasted and lasted!

redsquirrel, we will try that straight peroxide and see if we get any results. If not, I may be looking for Miss Clairol! I have a terrific hair girl, but it's my turn to see her and my budget won't handle two color jobs in the same month!

I would contact someone and explain that the code change came out after I had allowed my daughter to put this streak in, and that while I respect their right to change the code, they need to give earlier notice (say, the last week of the school year) so that children can comply. Otherwise, I'd be asking the administration to pay for a professional to color my dd's hair.

(Sorry. I'm a rebel. I just do not understand the fuss over hair color.:tongue_smilie:)

Did she bleach it right before coloring with the koolaid? The bleach makes hair very porous, so it is hard to get the color out after that. You might try Manic Panic's hair stripper. Her hair is already platinum blonde, So it eon't be too noticeable if it is a bit lighter.

No bleach, she is a natural light blond. It's on the underside, so I probably could use a color stripper. I'll take a look at that Manic Panic - funny name!

OMG!!!! DD32 did that when she was 15 -- she looked like strawberry shortcake -- she did her whole head of platinum blond hair.

Anyway -- if they still sell VO5 hot oil treatment (or someone else makes it), use that. have her sit in the sun with the oil on her hair, then wash with a high alkaline shampoo (I don't think they make Prell anymore but prell is/was high alkaline).

You may have to do it a few times. Good luck!

I wouldn't knock yourself out. When did the dress code come out? After she already dyed her hair, during the summer, on her own time? I'd tell the school that it'll come out when it comes out and she won't do it again, and next time to give students and their families more notice.

If you really want to take it out, though, I'd seek a professional. If you try it on your own, you could end up wrecking her hair. Ask my how I know and what I had to do about it ...

Tara

I was reading something last week about washing colored hair in the blue Dawn dish soap to lighten the color.

That might be a cheaper try first.

My sister is a hair stylist and colors my kids hair all kinds of crazy colors every summer. She uses professional dye not KoolAid but she has always told me to wash it with blue dawn and that takes everything out but.......blue color! Lol my ds did blue once and it ended up fading to a gray/green color. She had to use a "bleach wash" on him. It's a little bit of hair bleach and shampoo and since he's a natural blond it looks normal again. If the dawn doesn't work a professional may be able to do the same for her hair. It's much quicker and easier then highlights or color so should be much cheaper. Just curious, does she swim any? My dd had red this summer and the pool took it out very quickly. Good luck!!

ETA: If you do try the dawn make sure you do a deep conditioning after since dawn strips everything off of the hair.

Edited by CLBMom

Don't use peroxide on it! It'll turn the hair to straw, and possibly give her orange hair.

I color my hair crazy colors all the time - give the Dawn a couple sound tries. Really work it in and let it sit. Use the strongest grease-fighting version they have (I think it says on the bottle that it will give you "overnight soaking" power in 5 minutes or something like that.). If that doesn't work, the Manic Panic stripper should, or you can buy a box of L'oreal chunking/highlights and cover it with that. Just have her leave the color on ten minutes longer than the package directions say to, and condition well afterward.

Blue shampoo is the key probably. I think the hot oil treatment would help too. Where I went to collage every blonds hair turned orange--high iron content in water. My older brother knew that people with nice (not yellowish) white hair use blue hair products. He actually told me how to fix it -- after a good laugh. Anyway I only had orange hair for one semester!

From what I've gleaned from my web searches, she had a perfect storm of circumstances - fresh-washed hair, light hair color to start, a warm thick paste of color wrapped in foil and left on a loooong time - it looks great but, wow, it has lasted and lasted!

redsquirrel, we will try that straight peroxide and see if we get any results. If not, I may be looking for Miss Clairol! I have a terrific hair girl, but it's my turn to see her and my budget won't handle two color jobs in the same month!

NO NO NO! :D Be VERY careful if you're considering just buying a box of haircolor. It isn't like spray paint that covers what you have- the color on the box will *NOT* (always) magically be the color you end up with. And then you will have two layers of color to get rid of.

Diamond often has fun haircolor streaks. (and I'm a cosmetologist) she has dark brown hair, and we bleach it first. I have used the strongest bleach with the strongest developer, and still not gotten all of the color out even after an hour of processing.

This advice is based on your DD having natural very light blonde haircolor- unbleached/unpermed/unrelaxed/completely "virgin" (chemically untouched) hair.

First, think of color theory. The opposite of red is green. A color with a green base will neutralize it, likely giving a brownish-tone. (if you try Dawn, use green Dawn)

Household peroxide will lighten it- but likely you will need actual bleach for hair. The brassy tone really only shows up in hair that starts out darker- like browns.

Another option is a toner... if her color streak is already lightened, just not gone, you can use a toner to change the "tone" of the streak- it may not be the same as her natural color, but it will be a natural color.

Toners are semi-or-permanent haircolors used to adjust the tone or warmth of haircolor after it has been bleached. Bleach only removes color- it might be the desired degree of lightness, but the client wants it to be more ash, for example. An ash or green-based toner will give a more neutral tone to her streak.

When Diamond attended a co-op that did not allow unnatural haircolors, she just took her streak (underneath layer at the base of her neck) and coiled it into a mini-bun and just kept it clipped under her regular hair.

My teen dd has an adorably cute red streak in her platinum blond hair, which she did earlier this summer with koolaid. I think it's very cute and she loves it. However....

a new dress code came out over the summer for her private school. No "unnatural" hair colors. We respect the dress code, don't intend to fight it, but that red streak - she did it right, I have to say, that sucker is not fading like past fun color streaks.

Any of you have tried-and-true methods for getting this out? I googled and found a toothpaste method, but also found lots of "that didn't work!" posts, too.

:bigear:

We do not want a haircut!!!

My daughter did the drugstore bright pink. It was awful, but faded everywhere in a month except for a couple of really blonde streaks near her temples. It's still there. Beauty store people told us to try Dawn Dishwashing liquid. It might have helped a little. We are just waiting it out since there is no proscription against vivid hair colors at her school.

OMG!!!! DD32 did that when she was 15 -- she looked like strawberry shortcake -- she did her whole head of platinum blond hair.

Anyway -- if they still sell VO5 hot oil treatment (or someone else makes it), use that. have her sit in the sun with the oil on her hair, then wash with a high alkaline shampoo (I don't think they make Prell anymore but prell is/was high alkaline).

You may have to do it a few times. Good luck!

Strawberry Shortcake!!! :lol::lol::lol: Did she like it? I am trying to imagine what dd would look like with whole-head color!

I remember Prell. :D I have some VO5, if it doesn't take the color out, it certainly will help the condition of her hair if we have to resort to serious measures. Thanks!

I wouldn't knock yourself out. When did the dress code come out? After she already dyed her hair, during the summer, on her own time? I'd tell the school that it'll come out when it comes out and she won't do it again, and next time to give students and their families more notice.

If you really want to take it out, though, I'd seek a professional. If you try it on your own, you could end up wrecking her hair. Ask my how I know and what I had to do about it ...

Tara

We have reviewed all your great suggestions and after talking about it, dd has said she would like to do nothing until after the first few days of school. She's not a "rebel" type, but she is curious to see how strictly the new code will be enforced. Personally, I really think she might be sizing up her new teachers, kwim, seeing which one might be first to throw down the demerit gauntlet. That makes me grin, teachers do tend to like her so it'll be an interesting experiment.

Don't use peroxide on it! It'll turn the hair to straw, and possibly give her orange hair.

I color my hair crazy colors all the time - give the Dawn a couple sound tries. Really work it in and let it sit. Use the strongest grease-fighting version they have (I think it says on the bottle that it will give you "overnight soaking" power in 5 minutes or something like that.). If that doesn't work, the Manic Panic stripper should, or you can buy a box of L'oreal chunking/highlights and cover it with that. Just have her leave the color on ten minutes longer than the package directions say to, and condition well afterward.

NO NO NO! :D Be VERY careful if you're considering just buying a box of haircolor. It isn't like spray paint that covers what you have- the color on the box will *NOT* (always) magically be the color you end up with. And then you will have two layers of color to get rid of.

Diamond often has fun haircolor streaks. (and I'm a cosmetologist) she has dark brown hair, and we bleach it first. I have used the strongest bleach with the strongest developer, and still not gotten all of the color out even after an hour of processing.

This advice is based on your DD having natural very light blonde haircolor- unbleached/unpermed/unrelaxed/completely "virgin" (chemically untouched) hair.

First, think of color theory. The opposite of red is green. A color with a green base will neutralize it, likely giving a brownish-tone. (if you try Dawn, use green Dawn)

Household peroxide will lighten it- but likely you will need actual bleach for hair. The brassy tone really only shows up in hair that starts out darker- like browns.

Another option is a toner... if her color streak is already lightened, just not gone, you can use a toner to change the "tone" of the streak- it may not be the same as her natural color, but it will be a natural color.

Toners are semi-or-permanent haircolors used to adjust the tone or warmth of haircolor after it has been bleached. Bleach only removes color- it might be the desired degree of lightness, but the client wants it to be more ash, for example. An ash or green-based toner will give a more neutral tone to her streak.

When Diamond attended a co-op that did not allow unnatural haircolors, she just took her streak (underneath layer at the base of her neck) and coiled it into a mini-bun and just kept it clipped under her regular hair.

Very helpful info! The green Dawn will be our first try if she is compelled to do something about it. She also might try to do the braid and hide trick, she said she thinks that might work.

Thanks to ALL of you for the very helpful replies. You are truly better than Google!