Menu

5th Grade LA for new homeschooler - WSS & SC or CW

I have been lurking on these boards for many years, gleaning a lot of ideas for my family. Now I am hoping to use the collective brain power collected in this fabulous place for a little help.

I have a 10-year-old rising 5th grader who will be home schooled for the first time in the fall. His LA skills are fairly public school average, but he is a willing student. Having never done any of the WWE levels, I was wondering if he could handle WWS. I need something spelled out and easy to implement. I have and am fairly comfortable with teaching CW, but I also own WSS and Sentence Composing. Normally I would enjoy extensively researching all the options myself, but time is not my friend right now. We have had a fairly crazy last year-and-a-half which will continue for at least another year. I really need something simple to implement that he can easily step into, but something that will also give him the foundation he needs. He is my math/science boy, though he enjoys reading. His book choices at this point would be on the Rick Riordan Lightning Thief level, which I think is mostly due to lack of challenge at school the past couple of years.

So, should I start him in Aesop B, or could I try WWS combined with SC? I am trying to keep things simple, but I know we’ll need to do Spelling (either HTTS or AAS), Handwriting (his cursive needs work), and add a literature component (I’m thinking of using some Arrow units and maybe a couple TtC lit guides with a guided reading list on the side.)

Any ideas for effective, efficient, easy-to-implement LA would be welcome. :001_smile:

Thanks!

I have been lurking on these boards for many years, gleaning a lot of ideas for my family. Now I am hoping to use the collective brain power collected in this fabulous place for a little help.

I have a 10-year-old rising 5th grader who will be home schooled for the first time in the fall. His LA skills are fairly public school average, but he is a willing student. Having never done any of the WWE levels, I was wondering if he could handle WWS. I need something spelled out and easy to implement. I have and am fairly comfortable with teaching CW, but I also own WSS and Sentence Composing. Normally I would enjoy extensively researching all the options myself, but time is not my friend right now. We have had a fairly crazy last year-and-a-half which will continue for at least another year. I really need something simple to implement that he can easily step into, but something that will also give him the foundation he needs. He is my math/science boy, though he enjoys reading. His book choices at this point would be on the Rick Riordan Lightning Thief level, which I think is mostly due to lack of challenge at school the past couple of years.

So, should I start him in Aesop B, or could I try WWS combined with SC? I am trying to keep things simple, but I know we’ll need to do Spelling (either HTTS or AAS), Handwriting (his cursive needs work), and add a literature component (I’m thinking of using some Arrow units and maybe a couple TtC lit guides with a guided reading list on the side.)

Any ideas for effective, efficient, easy-to-implement LA would be welcome. :001_smile:

Thanks!

Welcome!

I'd be helped a bit if you spelled out some of the acronyms...they get pretty confusing. Sometimes even an author since I might think you mean Kilgallon Sentence Composing, but maybe you mean something else. And what is WSS?

My son is same age, and also loves reading Rick Riordan books. They are pretty interesting and full of action for that age, and they do at least give some exposure to and often lead to interest in classical mythology.

As for things like WWS and CW, I'd suggest you call the publishers and describe what your son's situation is and see what they have to say. I have WWS, but not CW, so I can't do any comparing, and without knowing anything about your son's writing it is hard to say whether WWS would be a good fit for him or not.

Anyway, again welcome and this will bump you for other ideas perhaps.

Welcome!

I'd be helped a bit if you spelled out some of the acronyms...they get pretty confusing. Sometimes even an author since I might think you mean Kilgallon Sentence Composing, but maybe you mean something else. And what is WSS?

A typo, I'll bet: was supposed to be WWS. And SC is Kilgallon, I bet, I bet, I bet.

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, it was a typo. Sorry! I was typing too quickly and have twin toddlers helping me type! :)

So, here is what I was referring to: Writing With Skill with Sentence Composing or only Classical Writing. AAS (All About Spelling) and HTTS (How to Teach Spelling) could be my spelling options, and Teaching the Classics w/ Arrow are my ideas for lit.

I did think about moving him back to WWE4, but I already own the other programs. However, I have three more students coming up eventually. So, I guess that's a thought, too.

I really need the easiest to implement program this year that will also give a good foundation.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas. :)

I did think about moving him back to WWE4, but I already own the other programs. However, I have three more students coming up eventually. So, I guess that's a thought, too.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas. :)

WWE4 is adaptable in that you can demand a higher level of writing.

WWE4 is adaptable in that you can demand a higher level of writing.

Bumping.

Please share how WWE (4 or lower levels) can be adaptable to a higher level of writing. (For example, I am already dictating WWE sentences to dd; I think she isn't being challenged with just copywork anymore. What more can I do?)