Menu

I am at that place where everything needs to be thrown out. I think it is an issue that I need to be proactive with new ones - washing more frequently and immediately - rather than something that can be remedied. At least for me.

:bigear:

Wash them again, but instead of detergent or fabric softener use distilled white vinegar. Then either immediately put them in the dryer or, preferably, hang them out in the sun to dry.

Also, if you have a front-load washer, stop closing the door when it's empty so mildew won't grow around the rubber gasket.

The only thing I've found that works is Lysol deodorizing cleaner. Wash in the washing machine with some Lysol─a little goes a long way. The Lysol has its own odor which I don't like so I put the towels through another cycle with at least a cup of vinegar in the wash cycle (no detergent). If odor is still present, repeat using more Lysol.

Our washer is in the garage, so if we forget about laundry for an hour in the summer, towels start smelling. I wash on hot with bleach and fabric softened and then dry thoroughly. It takes a cup of bleach for a full load. Sometimes, I have to run it twice.

Tea tree, lavender, or citrus oil...a few drops, added to detergent, and vinegar added to the rinse cycle. I've never had this fail.

It's the gasoline, oil, rocket fuel, etc. that dh gets on his clothes that is a real bugger to get out. Those scents seem to last forever no matter what I do.

Faith

Amway laundry products. That is all. :)

Ok, it isn't all. :D I have a front loader, and I never, ever leave the door open so the gasket will dry or not become moldy or mildewy. I always use fabric softener on all towels and washcloths. Amway laundry products clean wherever they go, including washing machine parts, and the fabric softener does not build up the way store brands do. No smell in the washer, clean, fresh-smelling, soft towels.

Ok, that is all. :lol:

Amway laundry products. That is all. :)

Ok, it isn't all. :D I have a front loader, and I never, ever leave the door open so the gasket will dry or not become moldy or mildewy. I always use fabric softener on all towels and washcloths. Amway laundry products clean wherever they go, including washing machine parts, and the fabric softener does not build up the way store brands do. No smell in the washer, clean, fresh-smelling, soft towels.

Ok, that is all. :lol:

OMG I remember my dad and his talks of Amway....though there was this one product that was I think for carpet stains and it was better than anything. How do you buy Amway?

I have a front loader and bleach it every 2 weeks. I have to. It's like the one cleaning thing that is on my calendar. I started using a vinegar in the rinse for towels and surprisingly it really does help. Of course this is after I put a little bleach in the load. I went to all white towels. No matter what color I get they get stained with whatever so I prefer to be able to bleach. If you don't want to do bleach, you can do a baking soda soak in cold water, then drain, then go on with your washing. It helps to do the soda soak first, rather than just wash with a scoop added.

I had a friend who complained about her husband's towels getting this way. She did some research and came up with the idea of adding some Pine-Sol to the laundry. I have no idea about how much or anything, but perhaps it's something to look up. It apparently worked, although I can't imagine adding Pine-Sol to my laundry myself ...

I add white vinegar to the fabric softener compartment on my front loader. I also add a scoop of Borax to the detergent. I don't have the smell issue.

OMG I remember my dad and his talks of Amway....though there was this one product that was I think for carpet stains and it was better than anything. How do you buy Amway?

There is probably an Independent Business Owner (IBO) in your community; if so, you can probably find one (or more) in the white pages of your telephone book (if you still have one, lol). Or you can contact Amway directly and get the names of IBOs in your area.

Wash them again, but instead of detergent or fabric softener use distilled white vinegar. Then either immediately put them in the dryer or, preferably, hang them out in the sun to dry.

Also, if you have a front-load washer, stop closing the door when it's empty so mildew won't grow around the rubber gasket.

I just put a good bit vinegar on the washcloths and stick them in the regular wash load.

I've had good luck using baking soda in the wash, then vinegar as a fabric softener. That works most of the time for me, but recently, I had a load that was really bad. I put everything out in the sun for a full day, and like magic, the smell totally disappeared.

I've had good luck using baking soda in the wash, then vinegar as a fabric softener. That works most of the time for me, but recently, I had a load that was really bad. I put everything out in the sun for a full day, and like magic, the smell totally disappeared.

:iagree: