Menu

What's the least expensive 8 passenger vehicle going?

I'm sure this has been answered here before, but I wasn't paying attention!

No, we're not expecting anyone new, but the 12 yo minivan is a-creakin' and I'm dreamin' about what'll replace her! :) It would be nice to have room to invite Dad to come along with us sometimes without having to drive his own car (now that Mom is gone) or for the kids to have a guest once in a while . . .

I've been thinking of a Toyota Sienna, but aren't there some other vehicles that seat 8?

Besides Suburbans. I don't have anything against them (besides $). I'm just not sure one would fit on my driveway next to our other minivan!

Decent gas mileage would be a plus!

I have a Pontiac Montana. Got it used as a fleet vehicle (6 mos. and 12,000 miles) for 12,000.00. 1/2 off a Sienna. I would have loved the Sienna, but I liked the price, and 2 years later, we still love the Montana! And, b/c the price was so right, we paid it off in year and 1/2.

I'm sure this has been answered here before, but I wasn't paying attention!

No, we're not expecting anyone new, but the 12 yo minivan is a-creakin' and I'm dreamin' about what'll replace her! :) It would be nice to have room to invite Dad to come along with us sometimes without having to drive his own car (now that Mom is gone) or for the kids to have a guest once in a while . . .

I've been thinking of a Toyota Sienna, but aren't there some other vehicles that seat 8?

Besides Suburbans. I don't have anything against them (besides $). I'm just not sure one would fit on my driveway next to our other minivan!

Decent gas mileage would be a plus!

We're exactly in your boat - replacing our Dodge Grand Caravan. Unfortunately, we just decided to get another GC. Looking at gas prices made us wary of a Suburban - which was what we were previously expecting to purchase. My friend spends $97 each time she fills her 12-pass Ford. Just can't do it.

Feeling your pain -

We would seriously look at an airporter type shuttle bus purchased off Craigslist or ebay! Right now we're in a 9-passenger Suburban and we fill it. I've seen some great airporters for sale -- tons of room, tons of seats. And the thing is, most of these were built to last lots and lots of miles, but are sold off before reaching those miles. We saw one I wish we would have bought -- but I found it on ebay something like one day before it expired and we just couldn't move on it that fast (it was 3 hours from here and we couldn't dash off to see it that day). Wait, I think that one was a shorty school bus???? Anyway, do searches at CL and ebay for "airporter" or "shuttle" or just "bus."

HTH!

The Honda Odyssey is not least expensive, but the lack of repairs more than makes up for any cost. Mine is at 110,000 miles and going great (knock on wood). It is less expensive than the Toyota Sienna and you can often get 1%-3% financing. Also, the Odyssey ranks higher than the Sienna by Consumer Reports. They are close, but the Odyssey is a little higher.

We're exactly in your boat - replacing our Dodge Grand Caravan. Unfortunately, we just decided to get another GC. Looking at gas prices made us wary of a Suburban - which was what we were previously expecting to purchase. My friend spends $97 each time she fills her 12-pass Ford. Just can't do it.

Feeling your pain -

My 05 Odyssey cost $80+ to fill! It has a 21 gallon tank.... and gets about 20mpg.

We have an Odyssey and a Suburban. The Odyssey is more comfortable. However, the gas mileage on both vehicles is about the same. We get about 24 mpg on straight highway driving. Around the city, it's about 20 for both. So please don't think that the Suburban uses more gas. We were rather surpised about the Odyssey's mileage.

Yup, that is my feeling. The mileage stinks in my Ody i think. Granted it's only 700 pounds lighter than a suburban too. In straight town driving i get 17-18, throw in a trip I get up to 20. If it's all highway i get 24 if i'm lucky.

Haven driving a suburban & trucks at work for years, it's just not that much different..... :(

I really like our Ford Expedition we bought in March.:) It will easily hold 8, 9 if you squeeze a bit. The downside is that it only gets around 18 miles to the gallon. I feel like we got a good deal on it, $22,000. We looked at Ford Sync which was a tiny 5 seater that had all wheel drive and great gas mileage but it was a tight squeeze with 3 adults and 2 teens, now way would we be able to take a friend along, also the tiny car was $36,000! I figured for $12,000 dollar difference I could afford quite a bit of gas.;) Oh, one more cool thing, all those seats fold down completely flat, like in the new mini vans, making for lots of space to haul things.

The Honda Pilot is the best priced crossover to come with 8 seats. Surprisingly, even better priced than the comparable Saturn. It also comes with cylinder deactivation, which basically shuts down the extra cylinders by computer while driving on the highway and not switching gears, giving you better overall gas mileage:

http://automobiles.honda.com/pilot/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cylinder-Deactivation:-A-Good-Thing?&id=226193

If you aren't really sure what a crossover is (and I wasn't until beginning to research for the exact same reasons you mentioned at the top of the thread), it's basically a minivan with an SUV-looking shell on top. It drives like a minivan, has gas mileage like a minivan, and has the same sorts of bells and whistles as a minivan with the look of an SUV.

So far, my favorite full size SUV is the Nissan Armada. I like it better than the Expedition (which we used to own about 7 years ago) and the Suburban (too much a big truck feel to drive, and I'm on the petite side).

Here are all the vehicles I've found with 8 seats:

Minivans

* Toyota Sienna

* Honda Odyssey

Crossover SUVs

* Honda Pilot

* GMC Acadia

* Buick Enclave

* Saturn Outlook

* Toyota Highlander

Full-size SUVs

* Chevrolet Suburban

* Ford Expedition

* Lexus LX 560

* GMC Tahoe

* Nissan Armada

* Toyota Sequoia

* Toyota Land Cruiser

* Infiniti QX56

* Chrysler Aspen

***ETA I've noticed that there are very good deals to be had on gently used SUV's sitting at car dealerships. I saw a 2007 Nissan Armada with only 11K miles on it...all the upgrades including sunroof and DVD player for only $22K!! We aren't ready to buy, but I was sorely tempted.

Barb

We currently own an 8 passenger Suburban and would like to fit 1-2 additional people. How does the 'burb seat 9? Is the front seat a bench? If so, does it still have all the bells and whistles (ie seat warmer, driver seat mobility)?

Our vehicle will probably last another 5 years, so it may not even be an issue, but would like to get info.

Thanks!

Yup, that is my feeling. The mileage stinks in my Ody i think. Granted it's only 700 pounds lighter than a suburban too. In straight town driving i get 17-18, throw in a trip I get up to 20. If it's all highway i get 24 if i'm lucky.

Haven driving a suburban & trucks at work for years, it's just not that much different..... :(

Yes, the tank is much larger on the Suburban so I don't have to fill as often. So the amount of money needed to fill a tank is misleading because you need to know how many gallons are in the tank. People always assume that the Ody is much, much better.

But since Suburban has 8 cylinders and 4 wheel drive, I am getting good gas mileage. My MIL's Chevy Equinox crossover vehicle gets about 14 mpg in the city, so I think my mileage is pretty good for what I drive. You can't compare a Honda Civic and a Suburban until you compare their weights, cylinders, amount of steel.

The other ironic thing is that I used my Camry until we had child number 4. People used to make fun of me for putting three car seats in the back and for trying to save gas. Now all my neighbors are downsizing and asking me when am I going to downsize.

Have you looked into the Kia Sedona? I believe it is the least expensive, comes with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty, gets good mileage, really good safety record, and, I believe, is about the cheapest out there. It is what I am planning to get when I sell my house and can afford a car :)