Menu

Foreign Language studies in the Grammar Stage

My DS is 8. We are about to start our 3rd year homeschooling. 1st year he did Rosetta Stone Spanish. He did it, but didn't love it. 2nd year he studied Latin in a co-op setting. Teacher was awesome, but even she didn't like the book they used. Now DS says he wants to drop Latin [i was thinking about getting Lively Latin or another friend loaned me "Getting Started with Latin"]. I told him--truthfully--that I don't really care if he drops Latin [we'll still study it some indirectly though MCT LA], but that I do want him to study A foreign language. My thinking is that he has plenty of time to pick a language and browsing them at this age is a good way to decide which he'd like to pick long-term. I figure by about the middle school years, he should decide on a language he'd like to study in-depth.

If he does choose to drop Latin, I was thinking about trying him on Chinese. We're planning a trip to Taiwan next spring, so it seems like a good time. I have Rosetta Stone Chinese [that I bought for myself, but haven't been rigorous about using], but it's not the most exciting way to learn a language, is it? I think part of the problem to date has just been the dull instruction [as I said, his Latin teacher is EXCELLENT, just my son didn't like the book].

I read my younger DS a Kai Lan book last night. It seems like it's geared to younger kids. Is there anything like Kai Lan that would help my 8yo learn a little Chinese? Something both my 3yo and the 8yo could enjoy together?

Hi Mama_Rana, I think there are similar posts on the Bilingual Board. Discover Chinese is popular, and there are some other resources (Mango?).

If it is your first exposure to Chinese, then a native tutor/speaker who can work with your dc to get the right tones is extremely important.

Also are there any families in your neighborhood you could meet for Chinese playdates?