Menu

Course descriptions question

ValRN

I'm in the process of writing course descriptions. I am stuck at whether or not to include a short instructor bio. This is my basic format for each course:

Title

Instructor

Description

Materials

I need advice about whether or not I should include a short bio after the instructors' names and credentials.

Okay, no teacher bios...maybe not even names.

For classes taken online or at community college, do you include

1. source of the class (online or community college), so the reviewer knows that the class was taken elsewhere (validation of mommy grades)?

2. the number of hours spent in class/online lectures each week?

3. a description of the type of work assigned?

4. that the grading method determined and final grade given by the outside instructor?

5. length of course (# of weeks)?

This is my first go-round with college applications. The course descriptions are stressing me out because I do not know what to include. I have the document complete, but I keep vacillating on what I should include. I'm up to my third version of this document at this point. HELP!

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what I should actually include in the summary of the course? Is anyone willing to show me what an entry for 1 of your courses looks like?

I need advice about whether or not I should include a short bio after the instructors' names and credentials.

I did not include that information in the course descriptions; however, in my homeschool profile, I did include a section entitled 'Educational Partners'. In that section, I included the name of a tutor and his credentials, information on a homeschooling resource center at which my daughter took some classes, similar information on the local community college, and information on PA Homeschoolers.

For classes taken online or at community college, do you include

1. source of the class (online or community college), so the reviewer knows that the class was taken elsewhere (validation of mommy grades)?

Yes, this was included. Here's are some examples of the course descriptions that I wrote.

MTH 112 - Trigonometry

Trigonometry has wide applications in the world around us. It is a vital tool in construction, physics, and engineering. Trigonometry is preparatory for Calculus 1. The major topics covered include radian measure, circular functions and their graphs, right triangle ratios and related trigonometric functions, identities, solving trigonometric equations, law of sines, law of cosines, and applications. Other topics include polar coordinates, parametric equations, vectors, and conic sections. A graphing calculator is required.

4.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

MTH 111 - College Algebra

College Algebra is the study of basic functions and their applications. This includes polynomial, rational, exponential, and logarithmic functions and their inverses. Other topics include an introduction to sequences and non-linear systems of equations. In accordance with national recommendations, this course emphasizes skill building, problem solving, modeling, reasoning, communication, connections with other disciplines, and the appropriate use of technology. A graphing calculator is required.

5.000 Credit Hours (Class taken at ZCC in 11th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

Algebra 2

A comprehensive course covering: linear equations and inequalities, graphs and functions, polynomials and factoring, rational expressions, rational equations and functions, radicals, complex numbers, linear models, the conic sections, systems of equations including matrix methods, and exponential and logarithmic functions.

(Class taken at home in 10th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

Geometry

This classical geometry course is heavily dependent on deductive reasoning and the proof writing process and also relies on compass-and-straight-edge constructions. Topics include points, lines, planes; rays and angles; congruent triangles; geometric inequalities, parallel lines; quadrilaterals; transformations; area; similarity; right triangles; circles, concurrence theorems; regular polygons and the circle; geometric solids, non-Euclidean geometry and coordinate geometry.

(Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 1.00 credits.

World Literature from 1700 to 2000

A study of 18th through 20th century short stories and novels with the intent of familiarizing the student with selected literary works of enduring quality. This interdisciplinary course (see the associated History course below) allows the student to explore this time period by reading its literature while also studying its historical context. (Class taken at home in 9th grade.) Awarded 0.50 credits.

You'll note that I did not include textbook names or novel titles in my course descriptions. I included separate reading and textbook lists with that information.

Regards,

Kareni

Here is a sample listing from my son's course descriptions:

Biology I: Introduction to Ecology, Evolution and Diversity

Quarters: 1 Credits: 0.5 Local Liberal Arts College

(BIO 101 - 3.75 credit hrs)

This course is an introduction to biological diversity with emphasis on the origins of diversity, the phylogenetic relationships of organisms and the ways in which these organisms interact and function in ecological communities. Topics include the origin of life, evolutionary change, phylogeny and classification, diversity in form and function, and the adaptations and interactions of organisms within communities and populations. This course is intended for students majoring in the laboratory sciences. Lecture, discussion, field and laboratory experience. Text: Biology, (Campbell, Reece) Instructors: Dr. Bioprofessor1 (Lecture) and Dr. Bioprofessor2 (lab)

The 0.5 credits that I assigned was due to the fact that it was less than four college credit hours and that AP Bio (worth 1 credit) covers more material. I listed the course number so that the admissions counselors could easily verify the course.

Thank you so much, everyone.

Margaret, Kareni, and Ethel, your descriptions are so helpful. They give me a good idea of what I need to do to pare mine down.

Kareni, I like how you used 'educational partners' and listed their info in your homeschool profile. What a great idea. I also have a homeschool profile and will consider listing my 'educational partners' :D on it (if you do not mind me using your title).

You ladies are such a blessing. My goal was to have my course descriptions finished by this weekend. I met that goal, but then I kept second guessing myself and made a second document with the descriptions a different way and then a third document with more changes. I think I'm making it harder than it has to be. I just want to make sure everything is in the best format before ds submits everything.

I cannot wait until this is over and ds receives acceptance letters. Then, I'll have 3 years before I have to go through it again.

Thanks again!

I'm in the process of writing course descriptions. I am stuck at whether or not to include a short instructor bio. This is my basic format for each course:

Title

Instructor

Description

Materials

I copied Kareni's idea and created a "Partners in Education" supplement. It includes bios for each teacher (all online instructors), along with a letter of rec from each teacher, plus AP or SAT subject exam scores ds received for the appropriate subject/class.

This supplement has been a big hit at each college ds has interviewed at so far. It's a great conversation starter and each counselor has come away with a little more knowledge about homeschooling. Many counselors have no idea of the online opportunities available to homeschoolers and they appear extremely interested in how a struggling writer like ds successfully communicates with an AP English teacher or how a physics or chemistry class can be taught online.

In ds' case, our extensive course descriptions taken from his annual NYS plans have been of little interest. YMMV

Edited by nynyny

• 3 weeks later...