Menu

Need a light first assigned reading for ds

to start our school year. He's a slow reader. I still assign outside reading and we take turns picking the book. We're doing ancient GB in school and I'd like to start with something short and simple, but not childish.

I started reading Flatland this morning thinking that would be it. I don't think he's quite ready for that level of satire.

I'd like something that is 150 pages or less, not necessarily ancient. I'm trying to start the year with some reading success. For instance, years ago we started the school year with The Phantom Tollbooth, it was the perfect fit. I probably own the perfect book, but I don't have access to all my books right now unfortunately.

He's been reading manga this summer and we're supposed to cover The Hobbit before school starts. I'd like to stay with something more literary not necessarily historical fiction.

Could I do a few short stories? These are generally books he just reads, no assignments, some general discussion only.

Any suggestions are welcome.

DS16 recommends: The Black Arrow, Treasure Island, My Family and Other Animals and A Day of Pleasure. He read these first at 14 (as part of the lit program he was doing) and still remembers these as Most Excellent Reads. The last two are particularly fun.

Assuming he's read The Giver trilogy and City of Ember,

Here are a few, but I went over the page count restrictions on some:

The Chocolate War (272),

Call of the Wild (94),

Lord of the Flies (208),

Watership Down (eek 400+),

I, Robot (256)

The Chosen (284)

150 is a really hard limit.

How about:

Eaters of the Dead by Michael Criton it is roughly based on Beowulf and 179 pages :)

Wait. I have it. Shane - 160 pages - strong characters, mood and plot with few descriptions which makes it stand out from most other books.

Paula,

I am seriously going to recommend the book Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It is an easy to read 200+ page comic book that analyzes comics--from layout to content. This is a terrific stepping stone on the thought process involved with analysis given that many young men will enjoy the content.

Jane (whose son read this one about this age)

My Top Suggestions:

- The Day They Came to Arrest the Book

(176 pages) Our DSs LOVED this one -- all the characters present different points about why to/not to ban or censure books. GREAT discussion!

- The Pushcart War (Merrill)

(220 pages) A fast read; humorous and satirical look at how wars get started through a "battle" between pushcart vendors and big truck drivers.

- Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

(less than 25 pages) VERY funny and great language -- a "mock epic".

- The Light Princess (George MacDonald)

(less than 25 pages) Spiritual theme, but also some humor.

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, OR, Through the Looking Glass (Carroll)

(each less than 100 pages) Get the Martin Gardner annotated version and enjoy all the amazing math, chess moves, puzzles, satires, etc. that Carroll embedded in these works

- The Rumpelstiltskin Problem (Velde)

(125 pages) A series of short stories; each retells the classic folktale from a completely different perspective; a lot of humor.

- Wodehouse on Crime (Wodehouse)

(read as many/few as you wish) Collection of short stories by PG Wodehouse -- we laughed so hard through some of these.

More Ideas:

Novellas

- The Giver (Lowry) -- 150-200 pages -- dystopian work

- Animal Farm (Orwell) -- 125 pages

- The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway) -- 125 pages -- adventure, but not very cheery

- Wrinkle in Time, OR sequel, Wind in the Door (L'Engle) -- each 240 pages or so

Short Stories

- The Catbird Seat (Thurber)

- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Thurber)

- The Most Dangerous Game (Connell)

- The Open Window (Saki)

- The Lady or the Tiger (Stockton)

- There Will Come Soft Rains (Bradbury)

- The Magic Fishbone (Dickens)

- "The Raven" (poem), or a short story by Edgar Allen Poe

Edited by Lori D.
edited the list to better fit the 150 page limit

And to go with Jane's book recommendation, I highly recommend "99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style" (Matt Madden) -- incredibly, the same one-page "comicstrip story" drawn in different styles, told from different points of view -- use it as a springboard into exploring style and point of view in literature; this book shows you just how MUCH those two elements can change what you take away from a work of literature!

Have a SUPER new school year! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have those scheduled in for later this year, definitely not skipping the plays.

I assumed you might, but if you really want a positive introduction to this material, consider pulling one out for this first reading. There are tons of great Greek tragedies, you can't cover them all, pick one you aren't doing OR just move one you are doing up. This way he knows that ancient lit is a great read.

I assumed you might, but if you really want a positive introduction to this material, consider pulling one out for this first reading. There are tons of great Greek tragedies, you can't cover them all, pick one you aren't doing OR just move one you are doing up. This way he knows that ancient lit is a great read.

He's not a big fan of reading plays on his own, part of it is the formatting. I think he'll do better with us reading them together. He likes manga, but that has a visual element not present in a play.

He's not a big fan of reading plays on his own, part of it is the formatting. I think he'll do better with us reading them together. He likes manga, but that has a visual element not present in a play.

Perhaps you could find a filmed version of a play and then read it.

Regards,

Kareni

I am seriously going to recommend the book Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It is an easy to read 200+ page comic book that analyzes comics--from layout to content. This is a terrific stepping stone on the thought process involved with analysis given that many young men will enjoy the content.
And to go with Jane's book recommendation, I highly recommend "99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style" (Matt Madden) -- incredibly, the same one-page "comicstrip story" drawn in different styles, told from different points of view -- use it as a springboard into exploring style and point of view in literature; this book shows you just how MUCH those two elements can change what you take away from a work of literature!

You guys are brilliant!!! These will be perfect for my dyslexic/VSL DS, who'll be plunging headfirst into literary analysis this year. I'm already thinking of so many cool things we can do with these books. Thank you!!!

Jackie

Are there any good film versions of Greek plays?

I haven't seen them, but these are available:

Oedipus Rex

Antigone

and, if you have a hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, this certainly looks intriguing -- Antigone, by Sophocles, with Marionettes

Hopefully others will chime in with recommendations. (Or perhaps you could start a new thread with that specific question.)

Regards,

Kareni

I haven't seen them, but these are available:

Oedipus Rex

Antigone

and, if you have a hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, this certainly looks intriguing -- Antigone, by Sophocles, with Marionettes

Hopefully others will chime in with recommendations. (Or perhaps you could start a new thread with that specific question.)

Regards,

Kareni

hurry! There's only one left in stock. :lol::lol:

thanks for the links and the laughs.