Menu

Help me meal plan for a vegan family, please!

My DH has issued a challenge for the remainder of this month. Except for my DD's birthday, we will try to avoid buying any groceries, and just use what we have in the pantry, fridge and freezer.

I have a ton of dried beans (black, red, chickpeas), lentils, quinoa, and brown rice. I have some bags of frozen veggies, a few cans of tomatoes, bouillon, and onions. Plenty of almond milk, spices, and olive oil. If we have to, I will get some produce, but I would like to see if I can make it. We do have some zucchini and carrots, and a large salad for the next couple of days. I have some pasta as well. I have a few cans of fruit which I never use and don't know what to do with (no idea where they came from!) and a few other cans I should go identify!

Any recipes/ideas so everything I make for the next 10 days doesn't taste exactly the same?

Hmmm..... I would have suggested what's already been said so far. Can you make a stew out of what you have? I make a lentil stew with veggies, but it's more hardy with potatoes added (if you have any). You could use the quinoa and mixed veggies to make a pilaf. I use toasted slivered almonds in mine and use a "chicken" type bouillon. How about a lentil or bean sauce over the rice or pasta?

Curry. You can put anything in curry. It would be good with beans, veges, and some of the fruit over quinoa.

Peanut butter curry. (You didn't say you have pb, but just in case) Mix 1/4 c peanut butter with 1/4 c. hot water. Stir until smooth. Add 1-2 T. apple cider vinegar, clove chopped garlic, very finely chopped onion, tumeric, pepper, cinnamon, and some chopped fresh ginger (about equal to the garlic.) serve over a combo o veges, beans, fruit.

Another flavoring you might want to try is to add cinnamon to a tomato-based spaghetti sauce in addition to the regular seasonings you might put in. It makes it taste kind of exotic. It's very good.

I would be begging dh for some fresh produce being that it's summer!

We just had a good meal tonight: It was black beans, sweet potatoes (but you could probably use white potatoes), frozen corn and frozen spinach with cinnamon, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder. Roll it up in a burrito with guac or sour cream. I was skeptical, but it was good.

You could probably just serve it with a side of quinoa if you don't have tortillas.

We just did Taco soup tonight. 2 cans (32 ounces) of black beans, 2 cans (32 ounces) of corn, 2 cans (32 ounces) diced tomatoes, 1 can (16 ounces) of tomato sauce, 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, diced onions (to taste can leave them out no issues), diced chilies and taco seasoning. Put it in the crockpot for a few hours, then enjoy, we like it with corn chips, but they aren't needed. The recipe makes enough for 3 nights for us, probably around 12 good sized servings.