Menu

Mapping the World by Art

fourcatmom

If you used this program, did you enjoy it? What age kids did you use it with. I have a 6th and 5th grader. I would be using it mostly with my 6th but hopefully my younger would enjoy it as well.

Is there anything specific that you bought to use with the program? Special paper - larger size, pencils, pens, watercolors...

Thanks in advance!

Are you asking about Mapping the World with Art or Mapping the World by Heart? They are two very different programs.

I was looking at Mapping the World with Art? I have looked at both but it seems that there was more favorable comments about this one.

Thank you.

That's the one I was referring to. Thanks!

We loved it here. Two of my highschoolers did the program this year. It was especially a hit with my 15yods. He's working on his final project now. A map of the world in pen and he's planning on framing it when he's done.

One of my kids liked to do the drawing as they watched the video and one of them just liked to read the descriptions and examples in the book and follow along as he drew so it's very flexible.

We just purchased the supplies as listed in the book. One thing I noticed though is that you only need a few pieces of blue cardstock - not a whole ream :)

I highly recommend this program.

We loved it here. Two of my highschoolers did the program this year. It was especially a hit with my 15yods. He's working on his final project now. A map of the world in pen and he's planning on framing it when he's done.

One of my kids liked to do the drawing as they watched the video and one of them just liked to read the descriptions and examples in the book and follow along as he drew so it's very flexible.

We just purchased the supplies as listed in the book. One thing I noticed though is that you only need a few pieces of blue cardstock - not a whole ream :)

I highly recommend this program.

Thank you. What size paper did you use. I was looking on RR last night and couldn't decide on 12x18 or 22x16. I would think you would want a fairly large paper for some maps.

Is there a place to review the supply list that you have found online?

My dc did this in a coop setting 2 years ago--it was a struggle for ds-then-7, a good experience for ds-then-9, and a joy to dds-then-12.

We just used large size sketch pads from hobby lobby, nothing fancy, and they worked fine.

That is extremely useful feedback (the age-specific stuff), thanks! I've been looking at this, but think I will hold it off until she's 12, when we are studying the Ancients again anyway. I was thinking of doing it over two years, kind of in conjunction with Ancient/Medieval studies.

That is extremely useful feedback (the age-specific stuff), thanks! I've been looking at this, but think I will hold it off until she's 12, when we are studying the Ancients again anyway. I was thinking of doing it over two years, kind of in conjunction with Ancient/Medieval studies.

Perfect info for me as well. My dd is 11 going on 12 in December and we going into Ancients, so I think this will be a great fit.

Does it cover US in depth as well?

Thanks!

I tried it with my grade 4 and 5 sons last year while we were studying ancient history. It was a flop for them, most likely because they hate map work, and anything pertaining to maps and geography. :glare: They love drawing, but as soon as it mentioned a river or mountain range they were less than thrilled. I love it though, and I will try to implement it again this year. I even set aside a special block of time once a week for it. :D

Thank you. What size paper did you use. I was looking on RR last night and couldn't decide on 12x18 or 22x16. I would think you would want a fairly large paper for some maps.

Is there a place to review the supply list that you have found online?

My kids just used regular 8X11 paper for theirs but they're older so it probably would be easier for a younger child if the paper was larger.

I'm not sure the supply list is online or not. Would it violate copyright to make the list for you? I wonder if you emailed the author if she would supply you the list.

Perfect info for me as well. My dd is 11 going on 12 in December and we going into Ancients, so I think this will be a great fit.

Does it cover US in depth as well?

Thanks!

It does cover the whole world, including the US. I don't *think* it goes state-by-state in the US, though, if that's what you mean.:001_smile:

It does cover the whole world, including the US. I don't *think* it goes state-by-state in the US, though, if that's what you mean.:001_smile:

Thank you. I appreciate all the help! I can always pick up the materials after I get the book, no worries. :001_smile: