Menu

Texas - Susan Wise Bauer countdown 10,9,8

Greetings Homeschoolers::bigear:

There are less than two weeks left until Susan Wise Bauer, author of the Well Trained Mind, makes her only stop in Texas - Saturday, July 19!:hurray:

Come join us as HSIZ presents a special all day workshop.

College Station Conference Center

1300 Bush Drive

College Station, Tx 77840

http://www.cstx.gov/home/index.asp?page=1227

Cost

$25.00 per chair.

Cut off dates for preregistration:

Payment sent via US Post Office needs to be received by July 15th.

Payment sent via paypal by credit card needs to be received by July 16th.

$30.00 at the door.

www.hsiz.org

Schedule

8:30 Doors Open/Preregistration check-in

9:00 Announcements

9:15 Keynote Address: Educating Our Own Minds: How to Teach Ourselves as We Teach Our Kids presented by Susan Wise Bauer

10:15-10:30 Break

10:30 - 11:30 Story of the World Lapbook hosted by Great Learning Adventures and presented by Bryana Childers.

11:30 - 1:15 Lunch

1:30 - 2:30 How to Read a Book (With Apologies to Adler) by Susan Wise Bauer

2:30 - 2:45 Break

2:45 - 3:15 Math Workshop hosted by Jacques Toys, Books and Educational Supplies and presented by Kimberly Owens

3:15 - 4:15 A plan for Teaching Writing, Grades K-12 presented by Susan Wise Bauer

4:15 - Concluding remarks

Curriculum Shopping

Story of the World Lapbook

During this hands-on workshop you will be making a history lapbook. If you want to take part, then a packet of supplies (cardstock, paper and graphics) will be provided to you for a nominal fee of $4.00. This fee is paid directly to the workshop presenter and not to HSIZ. Exact change is greatly appreciated. Bring your glue stick and scissors.

By Thursday July 10, a poll will be set up on our website, so that the presenter can have an estimate of who wants to participate. Please take time to RSVP to insure that she brings enough supplies for everyone.

Lunch and Snacks

There is no cafeteria at the College Station Conference Center. However, there are vending machines for snacks and drinks. Food and drink is permitted in the convention. You are welcome to bring your lunch and eat at your seat, but there are a number of restaurants very close within the vicinity. A list of the restaurants are in the bag that will be supplied to you at check-in. Small lunch coolers need to fit under the seat. No rolling coolers or large coolers are permitted. Please be mindful of cleaning up about around your seating area as we are the cleaning crew. Thank you.

Curriculum Shopping

Vendors will have tables set up for your curriculum browsing and purchase during the day and after the workshop. They would appreciate small bills and exact change.

Tips for out of towners

You can visit www.visitaggieland.com for lodging, and for places to see and visit.

Recording

No session can be recorded or videoed. However, Peace Hill press will have CD's available at their tables.

Special Needs

For those needing special assistance or who need to plan more time to get there, please visit the College Station Conference Center's website to see the location of the room. http://www.cstx.gov/home/index.asp?page=1227

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at events@hsiz.org.

Sincerely

HSIZ Board Members

www.hsiz.org

This is my only chance to see SWB, so barring any unforseen events, I will be there. I'm really excited and I hope to see some of you guys in person. Plus I'll have my money for WWE. I hope she's selling them at the conference.

Kimberly