Menu

Have y'all listened to The Overmind's lectures?

Thanks for the link!

Last year my birthday present from DH was downloads of 3 SWB lectures and a child free afternoon to have my own personal homeschool conference! (I think it might have been superior to a real conference. There were no crying children, no crowds, and...........................I could listen while sipping my adult lemonade! :tongue_smilie:)

Ya, listened to it last night. Both the SWB lectures.

I was a little startled at the Latin dedication of 10 years vs. the loss of specialization section.

I absolutely loved the framework explanation of grammar/logic/rhetoric, the overview of neo-classical.

I felt like I "listened" to WEM instead of reading it in most of it.

I'm still plowing through the list, got slightly sidetracked on debate theory. I listened to Kern's literature and how not to kill the love of it.

I think Ravi Jain is next. The metaphysical one.

Steven Breedlove looks interesting. :) "Exhaustion through Rigor".

There's a bunch of good ones on there.

SWB really got me cranked last night. In the few hours of sleep I had, I was dreaming about what she said. (I do that often, whatever I hear before sleep is what I dream about.)

I had this dream where we all were walking around her house, looking at her bookshelves (lol, wonder where that came from?) - anyway, where I really wanted to go in this dream was into her office to look at her collection of history books, but she wouldn't let anyone in there.

Wouldn't you just die to have a list of titles in her personal collection on history?

I'd totally buy that book. :drool:

I'm trying to get the 21st century cast in. Reynolds mentions in here that there was a tiff out in California about textbooks- as in print textbooks, giving kids backaches and how they are making the transition into Ipad formats.

Now, hold that for a second...it's a valid point.

Now, add the line of thought about "marking up a book." As in highlighting, passage reading, making margin notes- and the value that's attached to that type of ownership.

Now, hold that thought for a second...also a valid point

Now, add to that the difference between a living book and a textbook (which SWB does a brilliant job of in her podcast).

So there are 3 things to reconcile there, and what end comes of it?

1. Textbook weight, moving to electronic formats and online..

2. How to Read a Book (lol) in 3 complete readings, ala WEM.

3. What value difference is there between living books & textbooks.

I don't think that Ipads lend themselves to WEM style reading or absorbtion, but they have their place, maybe in textbook land?

So would it make sense to say, to really hit the baseline for primary resources and living books, to stay with print/paperbacks- and for the overview and guide, use textbooks?

I loved that she used quotes from Eliza Farr and TJ in her talk. I really took a good look at both the passages she pulled from in the talk prior to listening to this cast.

It was one of those: "What are you laughing at now?" moments in the house. That super-clicked for me...but...

Like I have the time or the skill to explain that....:lol:

I *think* the three pre-conference sessions are hers, if I'm understanding a vague reference made in the plenary. I think they were probably her three talks on writing (one for each stage). But I haven't double-checked this yet . . .

Oh thanks! I will check them out too.

If you get a chance after you to listen to some of these please give us a line or two to tell us what they are about. Some of the titles are obscure and I only have so much time. Thanks!

Found this on the home page: Click here for seminar details It gives a nice description of each lecture.

It also said on the home page that the Pre-Conference was with SWB!

9:00 - 9:30 : Why Writing Programs Fail: How to Teach Writing In the Classical Tradition

9:30 - 10:30 : Writing with Ease: Classical Composition for the Elementary Years

Break

11:00 - 12:00 : Writing With Skill: Classical Composition for the Middle Grades

Buffet Lunch

1:30 -2:30 : Writing With Style: Classical Composition for the High School Years

2:30 - 3:30 : Questions and Answers

Ok, I listened to: Trisha Detrick - Deuteronomy Six Classroom

A Christian classroom teacher who talks about discipline in a classroom setting.

She speaks about:

1. Looking at our lessons with fresh eyes.
  2. If we act like we hate teaching a class our children will also learn to hate that subject.
  3. Dealing with offended parents.
  4. Encouraging children and how to encourage good behavior.
  5. Discipline in the classroom teaches obedience to God.
  6. Our first job is teaching the gospel.
  7. Deuteronomy 6:4-9

[quote name=BLA5;4115382

Last year my birthday present from DH was downloads of 3 SWB lectures and a child free afternoon to have my own personal homeschool conference! (I think it might have been superior to a real conference. There were no crying children' date=' no crowds, and...........................I could listen while sipping my adult lemonade! :tongue_smilie:)[/quote]

wow! I am going to put this on my birthday wish list. :auto:

Rod Gilbert - A Real Life Plan for Teacher Development

He spoke to administrators. This is his overview from the talk.

1. How to invest in your teachers spiritual journey and care.
  2. Practical steps to individualize a plan for each teacher.
  3. Communication strategies for each teacher individually.
  4. A couple of comments on courage.

2 Corinthians 3:18

Colossians 3:9-10