Menu

Any suggestions for Biology lab kits?

We are going to give Holt Biology a try next year.

I would like to find a lab kit that can be used in conjunction with this curriculum to make a full course with lab component (I don't want to try to implement the labs in the book). I need something that is student led and easy to use. I would prefer a kit that comes with a good lab manual. Does anything like this exist?

Also, is it necessary to purchase a microscope for biology or is there another way around this?

I am open to any suggestions that the hive can provide! Thanks!

Edited by Keep the Faith

I don't use lab kits, so I'm going to skip that part of the question. It is possible to skip the microscope. I have one and we use it, but neither of my kids likes to use it. So in addition to viewing through a microscope, we find similar images online. My kids find it much easier to view them and for us to point out and discuss things about what we are seeing. I have been able to find every slide that I've wanted to look at on the internet free.

I have a science degree and I wanted to teach my kids microscope skills. I have. But especially for my glasses wearing ds (dd has contacts) we could just as easily have skipped it.

We designed that biology lab kit to go with our book, Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments, which we've released under a Creative Commons license. In other words, the entire book is freely downloadable and copyable.

We intend to post a link to the book for free download on the kit page whose URL you quoted, but before we do that we need some "guinea pigs" to verify that the ebook versions are readable. We can read the Kindle version on our Kindles, but I'm not certain they'll work on other people's Kindles (they should, but we don't have any Kindles to test with other than our own). There's also an epub version, which should be readable on a Nook or just about any other ebook reader, but again we don't have one to test with.

If you'd like a free (and freely distributable) copy of the book, please email me and let me know which format(s) you want: Kindle, epub, and/or PDF. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a quick look and let me know if the book is usable on your ebook reader. Once I have that assurance, I'll go ahead and post links so that anyone can download a free copy.

If you'd like a free (and freely distributable) copy of the book, please email me and let me know which format(s) you want: Kindle, epub, and/or PDF. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a quick look and let me know if the book is usable on your ebook reader. Once I have that assurance, I'll go ahead and post links so that anyone can download a free copy.

I downloaded the pdf and epub onto my iPad 2 and they both work like a charm.

Thanks!