Menu

Please help me design a school room (please please please)

I'm so bad at this I feel like sending my kids back to school to avoid it all.

This is my dining room. It's off the foyer and there are no doors, so it's pretty public. We have decided to make it the dedicated homeschool room. I can get rid of or move furniture. I can repaint. I could replace the chandier (isn't it awful?) I have a budget that is not extensive but I can work with it. Obviously a bigger white board and some maps and posters. But I can't decide on furniture or arrangement.

I've been to 5 furniture stores and have spent hours online, and I am at a loss. I don't even know if I want white or stained furniture (or even black). I'm just so bad at this, and I really need inspiration. I did look at Ikea, which has great idea rooms, but does anyone really order from them and pay shipping?

Please give me some inspiration. My feet hurt SOOOOO bad and I just can't shop anymore, and my brain feels even worse.

post-473-13535082617322_thumb.jpg

post-473-13535082617322_thumb.jpg

Could we see one more photo, taken from one of the doors? Is that a computer nook that I'm seeing a corner of? How much book storage do you need? How much table space?

I might not have time to check this thread again until tonight (Pacific time), but tomorrow's schedule is a lot more free than today's.

My first inclination is based on my own style and what works in my schoolroom. I can post a picture later. If I had that room, I would put bookshelves on the "c" part of the room (basically covering the walls). I like bookshelves that have storage on the bottom and open shelves on the top. At the very least I would put them on that back wall and put the white board on the short wall to the left of the door (beautiful door, BTW). Then I would get a simple table to put in the middle of the room that is large enough (how many students do you have?).

I would either go with matching light wood or white--the walls and floor are fairly dark.

I hope these quick thoughts help a little. I'm sorry I have to run off. Tuesdays are piano/errand/chess class days.

is my DH's art station. He's offered to move it, but I am going to get rid of the cheesy wall shelf and leave the rest of this stuff there - he needs a place to paint. He black box thing is because he's experimenting with still lifes and I guess this helps?

post-473-135350826177_thumb.jpg

post-473-135350826177_thumb.jpg

Ok, I'm so totally jealous of your space & the beautiful room you've got *now* lol!

If I were you, I'd start by listing my kids' ages & the activities you need to contain in the room. I know you said "school" but that can mean so many different things, you know?

Then I'd look online--do a google search--for homeschool rooms. Lots of people post pics on their blogs. Copy the ones you like to this thread, to help us see what you like, & to help you contain your ideas. W/ ea pic, think about *what* you like in it & which parts of it you'd actually use.

For me, if I were doing a school room, I think I'd stick to white for most everything permanent, to keep a bright, creative feel. Accessories can be changed out, you know, but furniture can't. Well...not as easily, lol.

We've got an art table w/ a peg board loaded up w/ supplies, TONS of bookshelves, dining table w/ maps under the clear plastic table cloth & another table cloth over that (not a dedicated room, plus I'm easily distracted), one big white board, 2-3 lap-sized boards, & a supply cabinet.

GL!

I really liked a big table that we could all work at together, as well as a sofa nearby for monitored reading. In addition, bookshelves for reference materials are also essential. I didn't use our white board or chalk board much at all, for what that is worth...

Making a plan. You really have to decide what you want in your room. We also converted our dining room into our school room. You can view pics here for some ideas. The biggest thing for me was the 2 bookcases we have. They don't hold all our books, just the books we need for school.

We also have a round table where the kids all do their work together. Now that my son is doing more independent work, however, I did purchase a separate desk for him to work on. It is not in the pictures, but I put it between my 2 bookcases.

My other great piece of furniture is our drawer organizer. It holds everything from construction paper to daily assignments. Keeps things from getting messy. Our dry erase board and bulletin board also get lots of use...not so much our flip board.

I recommend the following to start off with for your room:

1. 2 nice, big, tall bookcases

2. A big table for kids to work together

3. A small desk for independent work

4. Dry erase board

5. Organizing station to keep supplies and papers

After you use your room, you'll find out what you really need. I used to have a couch for a reading nook but found that it was a waste of space. We never read in the school room (we use the couch in the living room), so I got rid of it and gained a new space that is now used more efficiently.

I agree with the bookshelves. At least two really tall ones with storage on the bottom and shelving up top. And then one that is lower--the top can then be a place for your globe or finished art projects.

As for tables. You've got a beautiful one right now. However if you need a bigger one get a plastic folding one from Sam's or Costco (they also carry bookshelves).

We're also putting together our new learning space this year too. I've really got to get busy if we're going to start in August. :)

What a beautiful homeschool spot. I want to come to your house to do school!

I can't really tell how big your room is but I would line the back wall with bookcases - open on top with cupboard doors on the bottom. I am assuming that is the wall you see from the foyer and I think that would look better than posters and a white board. Costco has some great bookcases right now and IKEA is always a good idea for bookcases. I would go with a wood tone for the bookcases. I think it would look richer, plus the white bookcase (which I have many upstairs) show the dust easier.

I would put a large table in front of the bookcases under the light. I love the light and as long at it puts out enough light I would leave it alone. It looks like your have the perfect table in your pic. If not, check Craigslists for a second hand table. I would try to find black or wood tone. I have been looking for a casual dining table for our breakfast nook on Craigslist and there are many new postings everyday. If you are not too picky you can get something large and solid for a few hundred dollars with 4-6 chairs. That way you can put your money into the bookcases.

I would add a sofa or loveseat on the wall on the left (the wall opposite your beautiful window) with a floor lamp and basket for books or and end table and light. That way your kids will have a cozy spot to read but you can still keep on eye on them. I would put a world map over the sofa with a globe on the end table. I rug in front of the sofa would really anchor the space and give your kids extra sitting area for read alouds.

If possible I would leave your dh's art center and maybe rework it so you can add some art supplies for your kids. If not then you are probably going to want an independent work area or a desk for or a computer station so I would put something like that there.

Is there enough room on either side of your window for your white board and posters?

Also we hs in our dining room last year and my kids kept their things in a crate. At the end of the week they put their crate away (bottom bookshelf) so the room looked nice and neat for the weekend. I kept my TM and stuff in a two drawer plastic file cabinet with wheels and roled that out each morning to school so I didn't have to get up and down all day long.

I'd go for a cozy library vibe in there. I would do walls a deep brownish red and then dark wood or black bookcases. On some of the book cases I would have either fabric boxes or square boxes to hold "stuff". I would get a couple of leather reading chairs, a wood table with the top stained and the legs painted black and black chairs for seatwork. I would get a pretty bright overhead light, but put floor lamps over the reading chairs. I would get a wooden folding screen to put across your dh's corner when he is not painting.

If you did the room little more formally but not too formal, then it would still be attractive and usable as a sitting room/game room if you had guests.

Here are some pics from our school room. It's always evolving (even since these were taken in February we've changed to a new desk system), but I think the basics are still the same. I recommend that you have some closed storage, especially since you are in an open area. Most of our stuff comes from IKEA, which I know you don't have nearby, but I think you could get a lot of the same sorts of things from Staples or other office supply places. Like everyone else, I think bookcases are a good place to start. It's overwhelming when you are first beginning, but you'll discover what you need for your school room as time goes by. Like I said, it seems like ours is still constantly changing and evolving, even though we've lived in this house for 6 years now.

afe3687a106eb2f81c6f4af76dc2d114374b8633.jpg

84d3640a15cabc4d11b74aa36982d1498bcbd412.jpg

f641641aba144560da0cae28ef0578fef2179fa4.jpg

0e53690e1a67b59b106f428d643fdfef888c0a41.jpg

1f216810b6124069d4b9c8e04bb8d40376120cfa.jpg

55f16c1fbe1b4e66d1ba91cc5b1a10b4b83c6160.jpg

Here are some pics from our school room. It's always evolving (even since these were taken in February we've changed to a new desk system), but I think the basics are still the same. I recommend that you have some closed storage, especially since you are in an open area. Most of our stuff comes from IKEA, which I know you don't have nearby, but I think you could get a lot of the same sorts of things from Staples or other office supply places. Like everyone else, I think bookcases are a good place to start. It's overwhelming when you are first beginning, but you'll discover what you need for your school room as time goes by. Like I said, it seems like ours is still constantly changing and evolving, even though we've lived in this house for 6 years now.

afe3687a106eb2f81c6f4af76dc2d114374b8633.jpg

84d3640a15cabc4d11b74aa36982d1498bcbd412.jpg

f641641aba144560da0cae28ef0578fef2179fa4.jpg

0e53690e1a67b59b106f428d643fdfef888c0a41.jpg

1f216810b6124069d4b9c8e04bb8d40376120cfa.jpg

55f16c1fbe1b4e66d1ba91cc5b1a10b4b83c6160.jpg

Cute idea to keep markers in canning jars. Is it hard to get them out?

I didn't read the other posts, but I finally discovered what I needed at Lowes. It is the same kind of mix and match cabinets, shelves, drawers etc that Ikea has, but a little less modern and you don't have to pay shipping. I really like them and there are a few choices of wood and style. PM me if you need more info.

I think a carpenter could probably build that Pottery Barn set-up custom for you (out of real wood too) for $1000-$1500 less. We priced custom bookshelves (133' x 96" I think) back in 2007 and it came in at $2800 for aspen and that was painted. Or you could go to Home Depot or Lowes and order cabinets from them. We went with the Ikea though, $1400 and we could take them with us if we move. Of course, we have a store 15 minutes away, so... :auto:

ETA: 133 inches, not feet, yikes.

My dining room converted to school room is almost identical to yours, only flipped. I will try to post pictures later, but this is what I've done.

In front of the window I've placed a rectangular table. I can put one boy on each end and I sit between them. I have a book case on either side of the table, next to the window. They have their books and a few supplies within arms reach. We can look out of the window and enjoy the nice weather, observe wildlife, etc. Or I can close the shade and keep their attention.

On the opposite wall I have a desk with the family computer, a large file cabinet, and our supplies. Wall space next to the desk has a white board. I can keep my laptop with me at the table so if both need computers at the same time they don't have to share.

The large blank wall straight ahead looking in from the foyer has a large map mural (about $50 from Lowes). In front of that I have the toddler's play table and a few toys for him.

It's by no means perfect, but it's our space and we really like it. One thing we did that I enjoy is to replace the chandelier with a ceiling fan/light kit. It makes the room more comfortable when the shade is open on the large window. For a color scheme I used blue, green, and white. The walls are blue, accessories are green, and furniture is white. The theme works well with the large map and the colors are soothing and eye pleasing.

Good luck with your room, and please post pictures when you finish!

OK, I'm coming back VERY late to this discussion. The drama all started when I tried to take pictures of our schoolroom this morning and then went to download the photos only to find that DH hadn't downloaded photos for about three months. The whole system crashed several times, with me saying and thinking nasty things about wanting only the last three photos of the &^%#%^*& 161 of them!

OK, I'm hoping that these photos give you some ideas. The one thing my schoolroom lacks is wall space for a white board or posters. Our timeline fits nicely in the hall behind the piano (which is not shown, sorry).

I think this will only let me attach one photo at once. So I'm going to hit submit and see if it posts.

OK, it didn't work. This is just one of *those* days. I'll try to log in again later. Perhaps I'll try and put the photos on my photobucket account and just link to them.

But right now everything I touch seems to crash, so I'm going away now to read ; ). I can't crash the book, can I?

I'm in the same boat as you are. Only our dining room is much smaller, plus I use it for photography when I have a client. Gotta love these multi-purpose rooms that I have to juggle around depending on the activity LOL! So I'm trying to figure out how to do this whole room set-up. I have one large bookshelf already....just a $30 one from Wal Mart that we've had for a while. And some drawers/shelves as well. I need some more ideas LOL.

But I wonder if I could put something like this together for less. Ikea's shipping makes it out of the question .....

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p8717/index.cfm?pkey=cfurstrcaa

Wow--this looks great! Hopefully you can find a more affordable substitute. Have you tried Home Decorator's Outlet? Maybe something like this:

http://www.homedecoratorsoutlet.com/P/Harwick_4-Door_Cabinet/420/

And I totally agree that you shouldn't do shipping from IKEA. Although I love IKEA, the quality isn't that high. When it's cheap, that's not a problem--but once you pay for shipping (and their shipping is ridiculously high), you'd be better off paying more for higher quality somewhere else.

Finally! I did get three shots uploaded to Photobucket. You can view the slideshow here.

Now I'll read the rest of the posts and see what's going on in this thread. Sorry for all the drama.

I uploaded the pictures in the hope that they would help you understand the kind of bookcases I have and how they can help maximize space on a wall (kind of like your back wall). I also really like my Amish-made table. It has leaves that you can take out if you want. If you got an oblong table though, it would have to go perpendicular to your back wall, and it should probably be smaller than mine. Round looks nice in your room for dining but is not very efficient to work at because books and papers are stubborn about being oblong or square:D.

Inside some of the lower cabinets on the back wall I have those plastic multi-drawer things from Wal-Mart to keep art/craft supplies. I also like my four-square bookshelves and tall basket-drawer unit. In the four-square bookcase near the table, each child has a dish tub with their pencil box, rulers, and whatnot. They also have a place to put their workbooks and stuff. Each child is assigned a cubby and all materials go back there after each subject, so things don't get lost.

Hope this helps.

I'm jumping from your original post to here without reading other advice, so I'm sorry if there are repeats!

On the wall that you have the white board, I would put 36" high book shelves across the length.

The top of the book shelves can hold anything... possibly including: binders of completed school work; a globe; a collection of science items; baskets with measuring implements; an art caddy... you'll fill this area up fast.

Above the bookshelves, divide the wall into three sections: corkboard or padded material for displaying work, a white board, and calendar/planning area. Above this, put a long alphabet poster with manuscript and the cursive of your choice (traditional, modern, Palmer).

On the left long wall, hang maps and posters.

An interesting "thing" we did was paint a variety of 9x12 rectangles with a glossy washable paint. We used painters tape to hang up 8-1/2 X 11 drawings, work, and computer printouts. There is no need for frames for art using this method.

An alternative to hanging things on the walls would be to string an attractive string/clothesline and use pins to hang items. Or, hang a long thin curtain rod and hang things off of round curtain pincher clips. On the window you can hang a rod across and swoop a sheer curtain over the window to one side so the arch shows and you are able to filter light.

Carpets can define your room areas - round for floor play and reading, rectangular (by the bookshelves) for tables. You can choose carpet from Home Depot and have them put on a binding for about the same cost of a manufactured rug.

Hope something from these quick notes helps you:) I've gotta go get dinner going, or I'd write more:(