Menu

I love Fred! And Beast Academy! And Math Mammoth! And Miquon! And Dragonbox!

pixeldog

Life of Fred is just so awesome. My (almost) 9 year old just *had* to tell me about a passage in Butterflies about quotes within quotes. He read the passage to me and then quipped "I love this book!". <Oh, thank you thank you thank you, Stanley Schmidt!>

Then yesterday we had a *great* time playing Grogg's Block Blob from BA (even dragged Dad into a game during lunch). <Heavenly....>

A couple of days ago I realized that we needed to brush up on time telling so I pulled out a couple of pages from Math Mammoth...<easy peasy>.

And as we were playing Block Blob we were able to refer back to the area exercises we'd done recently with Cuisenaire Rods.

Finally, Dragonbox is AMAZING! That's all I can say. Sometimes I have to have ds help me remember what to do to isolate the box....and he always seems to know!!! <Chills running up and down>

Oh the freedom of being released from just doing the next lesson of Saxon! Honestly, I want to thank the forum for helping me to have the courage (and resources) to move into math with joy and understanding *based on our current needs*.

May you all be blessed richly for your contributions and input on these boards! :)

Yeah, it's wonderful when I'm able to say "So, why don't we do a bit of ________(whichever one I deem appropriate for the morning/afternoon) and his response is a cheerful "OK!".

We used to have tears and *long* stretches of having to find just the right pencil, breaking the lead, breaking the eraser, falling out of the chair, heavy sighs, etc. and *no* work done.

When I first heard about parents using more than one math program I couldn't figure out how you'd do that, or why one would make that choice. Even though it's more expensive to take this approach, I can now say it's paid off ten-fold in attitude and actual learning.

I also want to thank "Rosie" for the **FANTASTIC** Education Unboxed videos. Wow. What a gift to the homeschool community!

My 7 year old LOVES the freedom I've given her this summer to 'pick a math, any math' to use each morning. It is the only school work we're doing other than reading tons of good books. She is currently using/choosing between: XtraMath or Calculadder for fact mastery and Beast, MM, or Singapore for main lesson.

We have had a busy couple of weeks and didn't get beyond fact practice for several days in a row and she actually said, "I miss Math Mammoth! When can I do some?"

Yee ha!