What's with the ads?

Photo

I love Fred! And Beast Academy! And Math Mammoth! And Miquon! And Dragonbox!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 pixeldog

pixeldog

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Life of Fred is just so awesome. My (almost) 9 year old just *had* to tell me about a passage in Butterflies about quotes within quotes. He read the passage to me and then quipped "I love this book!". <Oh, thank you thank you thank you, Stanley Schmidt!>

Then yesterday we had a *great* time playing Grogg's Block Blob from BA (even dragged Dad into a game during lunch). <Heavenly....>

A couple of days ago I realized that we needed to brush up on time telling so I pulled out a couple of pages from Math Mammoth...<easy peasy>.

And as we were playing Block Blob we were able to refer back to the area exercises we'd done recently with Cuisenaire Rods.

Finally, Dragonbox is AMAZING! That's all I can say. Sometimes I have to have ds help me remember what to do to isolate the box....and he always seems to know!!! <Chills running up and down>

Oh the freedom of being released from just doing the next lesson of Saxon! Honestly, I want to thank the forum for helping me to have the courage (and resources) to move into math with joy and understanding *based on our current needs*.

May you all be blessed richly for your contributions and input on these boards! :)

#2 Chrysalis Academy

Chrysalis Academy

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5772 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Isn't it great to feel so enthusiastic about math curricula? We love Fred, Beast, and MM here too!!

#3 KristenR

KristenR

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3072 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

:party:

#4 Corraleno

Corraleno

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6150 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Isn't it great to feel so enthusiastic about math curricula? We love Fred, Beast, and MM here too!!

:iagree: We love all of these, too!

Jackie

#5 Lots of boys

Lots of boys

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

We love MM and Miquon too !!

#6 Mélie

Mélie

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

We love MM, just started Beast and are starting Miquon and Fred soon! So glad to see you're loving all of them!

#7 pixeldog

pixeldog

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, it's wonderful when I'm able to say "So, why don't we do a bit of ________(whichever one I deem appropriate for the morning/afternoon) and his response is a cheerful "OK!".

We used to have tears and *long* stretches of having to find just the right pencil, breaking the lead, breaking the eraser, falling out of the chair, heavy sighs, etc. and *no* work done.

When I first heard about parents using more than one math program I couldn't figure out how you'd do that, or why one would make that choice. Even though it's more expensive to take this approach, I can now say it's paid off ten-fold in attitude and actual learning.

I also want to thank "Rosie" for the **FANTASTIC** Education Unboxed videos. Wow. What a gift to the homeschool community!

#8 Hedgehogs4

Hedgehogs4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

After reading this thread I immediately purchased Dragon Box and it is fun!

#9 JulieE

JulieE

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

My 9 yr old asks to do LOF, which is good, but I don't know - is it more a supplement? I'm planning to switch from RS to MUS so my girls can 'get it/see it' more.

#10 Moniksca

Moniksca

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

My ds loves Fred and we're continuing on with MM although implementing Saxon next year. I love them all. and if shipping was less expensive to Canada, I'd have beast academy in there too.

#11 nov05mama

nov05mama

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

We feel the same way :D

#12 sdunckel

sdunckel

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

My 7 year old LOVES the freedom I've given her this summer to 'pick a math, any math' to use each morning. It is the only school work we're doing other than reading tons of good books. She is currently using/choosing between: XtraMath or Calculadder for fact mastery and Beast, MM, or Singapore for main lesson.

We have had a busy couple of weeks and didn't get beyond fact practice for several days in a row and she actually said, "I miss Math Mammoth! When can I do some?"

Yee ha!

#13 [email protected]

[email protected]

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

We use mus, beast academy, LOF and iPad games. Life is much better for dd and mommy since we started mixing it up a bit. No more tears and no more 2 hours of delay tactics and unfocused effort for 1 worksheet to get completed.
  • tanyaCO likes this

What's with the ads?