Menu

Rod and Staff vs. CLE

Mama2Three

Hi there! Just read the poll for the longest used curriculum, and I noticed a lot of families have used Rod and Staff for English and math. I was planning to buy Christian Light Education math and maybe English for 1st grade, but now I'm wondering about R&S.

I was planning to choose CLE because of its traditional style, spiral curriculum that supported moral standards (I'm Christian, but my curriculum doesn't have to be :)). It reminded me of how I was taught when I went to a small Christian school in early elem. I also like its black and white layout and short light units. I've read that the math has been described as a workbook-y Saxon, which I though would be a good supplement to RightStart.

Does anyone know what the main differences are, for both math and English? Is my description of CLE on target? Or does it sound like R&S might be a better fit? I'm going to get my first peek at CLE this weekend at a hs curriculum conference, but there isn't a R&S display there.

TIA!!! :001_smile:

then switched my younger ds to CLE math 5 this past year. I'm glad we made the switch. (I bought CLE math 5,6,7 to preview before we switched.) CLE math is more advanced than R&S. He'll be using CLE until grade 7 then on to algebra I program. I may alternate CLE math 7 with Life of Fred algebra for grades 7 & 8.

I "think" we'll be trying CLE LA 6 this upcoming school year. If it works out we'll stick with it; if not we'll go back to R&S English (I have/had them all).

Look carefully at R&S and CLE samples to see what will fit your teaching style.

Here's a link to the R&S Math 1 sample pages at Rod and Staff Books:

http://www.rodandstaff.info/samples/1/math/

If you look around their site you can see samples for R&S reading and Pathway reading (a Mennonite curriculum similar to R&S and CLE).

Good luck finding the right curriculum for you. We've been very happy with R&S Math and Pathway reading, but these are all solid programs so it comes down to the one that you find most appealing.

Is one or the other less parent involved?

I am a single parent who works and was thinking about CLE.

Any input would be great!

sarah

I personally like CLE better and I also think it's less parent-involved. Many, many people here do R&S mostly orally with their kids. We didn't and dd hated it. It was a lot of writing.

CLE has a better graphic layout to me, though it is also simple. Kids can use it independently. I think it will be easier for my kids to like. Both are thorough programs so you can't go wrong that way!

I agree both are very thorough programs . But CLE is less parent involved ( if you want it to be of course ) . It is set up as an independent study course . The math does have manuals in the early grades and some short lessons but so far I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that .

If you are wanting something more set up like Saxon then CLE would be your better choice . Rod and Staff is mastery math with review . It works on one topic at a time and it does review .

I have read that many families prefer the graphic layout of CLE and that it has just the right amount of math problems for each level , where R&S the higher up it goes in grades becomes overkilled with math problems and alot of children just buckle when they see a ton of math problems on the pages . Even when the parents assign math problems .

Also how well does your daughter write on her own ? R&S math only has workbook form for 1st and 2nd grade . After that its textbook . For some families this matters and some it doesn't . Some children don't mind writing math probelms out but the vast majority don't . Of course you can have her write them out on a dry erase board. But again that takes time and for you to oversee . So if you want her to be more independent then CLE math is a better choice .

Of course we all can't tell you what to use because what works for one family doesn't always work for another . If you think that CLE math is a better fit then go for it and see how it goes . If it so happens to not work then you could switch to R&S . So far though all I've heard is great reviews about CLE math .

Thank you all for your input!!! You have firmed up my decision for CLE. DS has trouble with writing, so I wouldn't want a curriculum that would expect a lot of writing from him, and definitely not copying math problems in 2nd grade. Just wouldn't be a good fit. I also like that it's more independent -- I spend a lot of time at the table with him, but also wanted something that he could do more on his own. Great, thanks again!!! :001_smile: