Really well-done audio books

Are these mainly for your dc?

Hank the Cowdog

The BFG

George's Marvelous Medicine

the dramatized version of Winnie-the-Pooh

Little House series

Because of Winn Dixie

For adults, I've been really enjoying Alexander McCall Smith's books about Professor Doctor von Igelfeld. Clean but younger kids wouldn't get the humor.

I second the Percy Jackson books. We've also enjoyed Junie B Jones (Lana Quintal's narration makes what I find unreadable hysterical), A Series of Unfortunate Events (read by Tim Curry), and Roald Dahl books (BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, various actors reading).

Lit2Go (via iTunes) has some well read classics, free to download. Our favorites are read by Lorraine Montgomery: A Little Princess, Alice in Wonderland, Little Women. I just burned the 10+ hours of Anne of Green Gables to disk for a trip this weekend.

My kids loved the Lynn Reid Bank's audio books -- she reads them herself. Their all time, hands down, much loved favorite was I, Houdini about an escape artist mouse. My boys sometimes want to listen to that book when they are sick -- it like an old comfortable blankie!

The E. Nesbit books are good on audio as are Dick King Smith's, such as Babe.

And, if you haven't discovered him yet, Jim Weiss has lovely cds of all kinds of stories. Check him out at his website http://www.greathall.com/ The whole family enjoyed his cds, and we listened to many of them. Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology, the retellings of Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes, the non fiction Galileo and the Stargazers.

Another vote for Hank the Cowdog! :D

Also, Geronimo Stilton is a huge hit at our house.

Odds Bodkin's Little Proto stories are superb. His other stories are mostly for older kids, although my son does enjoy The Hidden Grail, but he is VERY into knights and such.

I have to confess, Stephen Fry's Paddington didn't work for us, which was a shame because I REALLY wanted it to work! But my son couldn't understand the British accent very well...might be a problem for your littles is why I mention it.

My kids probably will do some audiobooks, but I am mostly looking for adult books. I have no shame in admitting that they will probably watch 4 hours of DVDs on the day we drive that 12 hour stretch.

Oh, then disregard my post :)

Try the Mrs. Pollifax series if you like light adventure. They are done by Recorded Books, the narrator is Barbara Rosenblat, who is excellent.

I also love the old Jeeves and Wooster stories by Recorded Books that are narrated by Alexander Spencer. I think everyone else just gets Bertie COMPLETELY wrong! :D But they are out of print and getting pretty hard to find.

My kids probably will do some audiobooks, but I am mostly looking for adult books.

Then I second my own recommendation for the von Igelfeld books. There is an Amazon summary that describes him as a cross between Frasier and Inspector Clousseau and the narrator does a great job portraying that personality.

I also like listening to the Artemis Fowl books. It's YA but the stories are good and Nathaniel Parker is excellent!

My kids probably will do some audiobooks, but I am mostly looking for adult books. I have no shame in admitting that they will probably watch 4 hours of DVDs on the day we drive that 12 hour stretch.

For the kids Winnie the Pooh would be great. For adults Harry Potter by Jim Dale is awesome! Anything read by Jim Dale. Really.

Anything by Jim Weiss. His audio stories are amazing. I recently took a road trip with my young children and his CDs were a must!!

Also, I posted about a few other things that were hits in the car. You can see them here. One of the ones I forgot to post about was a mini-etch a sketch we picked up at Cracker Barrell. My oldest is still obsessed with hers.

Not surprisingly, books written in the Victorian age, which were often serialized and intended to be read out loud, work great as audio books (and are long enough to fill a 12 hour car ride). Dickens is a favorite for these here.

Edited by GGardner

• 2 months later...

i am actually in search of a series of audio books for my daughter. We are almost finished with a series of unfortunate events. She is almost 8 and she loves the dynamics of the children. i love that there is a constant vocabulary lesson entwined with good wit to the story. the children in the story are all smart in their own ways with a hunger for books.

she wants something similar. i want something that continues to encourage her brain to explore new things.

Any suggestions. we have also listened to the magic tree house, tale of despereaux , to name a few.