Menu

How many weeks are in your school year?

mo2

We do 36 weeks. My husband teaches school. He works 190 days. We start when he does so that we can take all his breaks off (he gets 6 whole weeks), plus 10 extra days to save for other times off. We will start July 28th.

That leaves our summer 2 months. I see a lot of people on this board doing school work during the break of summer, but I like to give my kids what I had. It gives them time to relax and just be a kid.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

We formerly school for 36 weeks; our state requires 180 days. But we take alot of breaks. 1-2 days a month, a 2 week hunting season, 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week for spring break. We loosely follow the government recommended holiday schedule and take the long breaks during times that are hard for our family to homeschool.

However, last year we were lucky to get to 35. And this year, I'm planning only 30 weeks of curriculum, plus two partial weeks in which to either catch up or do extra if we have time.

Now, that doesn't cover the extras we do that are still educational. For example, one of the reasons we can't fit more weeks of desk work into the year is because we have to work around my daughter's college schedule and make time for the assorted road trips to get her to and from school during the year. At least a couple of times during the year, I'll take my son with me and build in a field trip or two along the way. And, even when my daughter is home and we're on a break, we're likely to hit a museum exhibit or watch a documentary that I will count for school.

Can you tell I'm feeling just a bit defensive about this?

Sigh.

Honestly, I know perfectly well that we'll accomplish a more than reasonable amount of work in that time, but it feels so very short . . .

I *think* I'm going to do 36wk years, but keep on moving through if we don't need that much time for a break. So we might start 2nd grade before full year has passed since starting 1st, if that makes sense.

I plan on doing 6 wks of school/1wk break year round, give or take some time for holidays, etc.

Officially, we do 36 weeks. It's what's required for our state reporting and it's easiest to plan that way.

Practically speaking, we usually do some work over the summer, though not all of our subjects, so we do between 40 and 44 weeks total. (This summer, for instance, we're doing spelling, Latin, history/science [one for four weeks, then the other], and working on math facts.)

I am planning 42 weeks of 4 1/2 days a week. I am roughly planning for 4 weeks on, one week off, adjustable as desired (our first stint will be six weeks and then a week off when my six year old goes to camp with her older sister). We started June 30th.

Tara

We do 36 weeks. My husband teaches school. He works 190 days. We start when he does so that we can take all his breaks off (he gets 6 whole weeks), plus 10 extra days to save for other times off. We will start July 28th.

That leaves our summer 2 months. I see a lot of people on this board doing school work during the break of summer, but I like to give my kids what I had. It gives them time to relax and just be a kid.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

We unschool during summer breaks, so that the kids have the freedom of summer that I had as a child. Also, since I will eventually be working in education, I like the "practice" the scheduling now, so we do 36 weeks a year, with a good long summer, Christmas/winter break, a spring break, and a few days off for Thanksgiving.

I usually try to plan 35 to 40 4-day weeks.

We sort of school year round (although mostly around the traditional school year) and my son has some health issues so we usually end up taking a few weeks off for hospital visits.

I guess I'm trying to say, we just go as long as it takes. We really try not to get too stressed about the schedule and just take each day as it comes. ;)

We do 47 to 49 weeks, most of which are 5 days... about once a month we do 4 days. If we decide to do something other than school on the spur of the moment, we make it up on the weekend. However, since our days are short we can usually just move "school stuff" to early morning to accommodate whims.

The time off is for camps and vacations, and we don't make up sick days.

180 days...however many weeks it takes us to get there. I schedule all the assigments over the 180 days and then we are done.

We've never made it in 36 weeks. We take too many breaks throughout the year.

We like our mental health days.:D

I have scheduled for 42 weeks. I'm thinking we're going to roughly do eight weeks on and one week off, with extra time around the holidays, vacation, etc. We do four days a week with Friday for extras. We've already started our next school year - planning to move this fall so I'm hoping that will give me a cushion to take time off to pack, move, unpack.

We school year-round, taking time off when needed or required, and always get in roughly 38-44 weeks annually. However, I require maths and reading daily except during Shabbat and High Holy Days.

This summer, both my littles are attending a science day camp with two 3-week sessions. I plan to do this next year as well, and not worry about scheduling formal science, as the kids get 120 hours of hands-on science using equipment I could never afford.

When my oldest was younger, we only had 36 weeks. Life has gotten a lot busier, and I find we need at least 40 weeks, if not more, to get everything done.

We still aren't finished last year's work. We just go until we need a break, then we stop. We plan on taking the rest of this month off, then pick up again in August where we left off.

We formerly school for 36 weeks; our state requires 180 days. But we take alot of breaks. 1-2 days a month, a 2 week hunting season, 1 week at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Christmas, and a week for spring break. We loosely follow the government recommended holiday schedule and take the long breaks during times that are hard for our family to homeschool.

Hey Cheryl,

The number of required days is now 181 :D, not including teacher workdays. :tongue_smilie:

Formally 36 weeks (for the state), then another 7 weeks for enrichment, field trips, more books, practice during the summer.. So 42 total.

September 3 - July 3, roughly 180 days.

We're starting "official" Kindergarten this year!

January 1 through December 31 :-)

Ok, I guess you could say we don't actually have that many, as we do take off time during the year. I just never think about it.

That was going to be my answer also! ;)

All our weeks have learning and reading and writing in them, even our vacation weeks! But, I have a 36 week school schedule and a lighter summer schedule, but there is never really a time where we don't do SOME school.