Menu

Teaching Co. Physics in Your Life

Probably not. There is almost no math in it; if I recall, he shows maybe 2 equations. His demonstrations are great.

However, if you dd is non-science oriented, maybe you should leave it until high school when you can count it (with an associated text -- he references Conceptual Physics, by Hewitt) as a Conceptual Physics course.

HTH

I have the John Renton course, The Nature of Earth: An introduction to Geology; is that the one you mean?

I can't say much about it but I will be using it with my 9th & 11th grade dds this upcoming year along with his text, Planet Earth and books from the roadside geology series.

Just watching the lectures may be sufficient at the jr high level, but not for high school, imho. HTH

My dd's watching it along with her Earth Science curriculum. Some of the subjects use big words--probably what would be found in a college text. Some explanation using chemistry, ie, bonding, and oxidation and molecules with explanations. I think its fine, my dd isn't particularly happy with the programs but as they're only 30 minutes at a shot--. He has cute little jokes, and he really would be considered an excellent college teacher if you were in his class. (I don't think she has enough frame of reference to appreciate it fully) The is one subject that does tie in nicely to a HS curriculum.

My dd's watching it along with her Earth Science curriculum. Some of the subjects use big words--probably what would be found in a college text. Some explanation using chemistry, ie, bonding, and oxidation and molecules with explanations. I think its fine, my dd isn't particularly happy with the programs but as they're only 30 minutes at a shot--. He has cute little jokes, and he really would be considered an excellent college teacher if you were in his class. (I don't think she has enough frame of reference to appreciate it fully) The is one subject that does tie in nicely to a HS curriculum.

Thank you, Nancy. Since my dd is only 13, I am wondering if this will only serve to confuse her further. She is not very science-oriented, and neither am I.

Well, my 6th grader LOVED that physics course. He only wished Wolfson did more of them.

Thanks, Margaret - I just read an older post of yours about this. This sounds like a great course for my dd's 9th gr. year. I'll use it w/the recommended text, since she'll most likely be able to tackle it by then.

I bet you'll be fine with Physics in Your Life. We watched the one called Great Ideas of Classical Physics, and that was definitely interesting and not boring at all. It was the same professor, Stephen Pollock, who does the Thinkwell Physics lectures. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

• 6 months later...