Menu

What is the story behind your username?

besroma

I would love to hear how you chose your username! There are so many interesting ones here.

I am one of those people who kind of freeze up when trying to choose one.

I am always intrigued when people choose one that is witty or has something to do with them personally (family, friends, hobby, things that inspire them).

So, if you are up for it, please share!

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine literally translates to "mother of Musa" in Arabic. It's a common way people are called in the culture... 'Um___'. 'Um' means mother and you fill in the blank usually with the eldest boy, traditionally, although some will use the girl's name.

I've always thought my name was kind of boring, and well, plain. :tongue_smilie: I think I'm a pretty boring person too so "plain jane" suits me well. :o I'm just a run of the mill, nothing interesting to see here kinda gal.

When I started coming to this message board I wanted to blend in and hopefully remain somewhat anonymous while still being true to myself. I also wanted to use my name as I think that it makes message board posters more "real" when they include their name.

plain jane seemed to fit the bill for me. Plain, boring, 'ole Jane. :001_smile:

Edited by plain jane

I am a HUGE sci-fi nerd, and Firefly was one of my favorite shows. :)

Totally wish I would have gone this direction and picked something more clever! Love Firefly.

I'm sure my user name is pretty obvious - subset of my initials. :tongue_smilie:

It is who I am and what I do. :D

Seriously, parrotheads are fans of Jimmy Buffett. I've been into his music since I was 12 and Cheeseburger in Paradise came out.

Wolf just asked about your nic last night! I remembered it had something to do w/music, but thought it was the name of a band.

I'll have to inform him of the real story, lol!

Wolf just asked about your nic last night! I remembered it had something to do w/music, but thought it was the name of a band.

I'll have to inform him of the real story, lol!

The name of JB's band is The Coral Reefer Band.

Chucki comes from my real name. My nickname was Charlie through high school. When I went to work at the PD the guys changed it to Chuck or Chucki depending. Chucki finally stuck.

Cassy is the nickname my mum called me by. I used to be on here as CarolineUK, but then had some privacy issues. I now no longer care who sees my posts or what they say to whom, so I'm Cassy or Caroline ;).

For my 18th birthday a good friend gave me a key.chain with my name on beads. They had no "R" when she bought the beads, so she bought a "P" and drew a line to make an "R" but the line wore off in a days or two and my keychain said CHEPYL until it finally broke a couple years ago. Many friends called me Chepyl for years. :)

I know have no key chains, they all broke and fell off one at a time. I had one to represent the various important times in my life. I guess I should get one with my kids pictures now ;)

Our homeschool name was chosen in memory of the best educational experience of my life. I'm an Army brat and grew up mostly in Germany. In the 6th grade I attended a DoD school in Furth (near Nurnberg) and had the most wonderful teacher imaginable. In those days, we were still in one class with one teacher all day long. Well, he was big into nature study and regularly took us on day hikes to Alte Veste, which means "old fortress" and was a major battle site of the 100 Years War. It is now a natural area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alte_Veste . We each picked a tree at the beginning of the school year, measured it, studied it through the seasons, wrote poetry about it, etc. We would stay all day on that hill, doing all our studies out in nature.

We did incredible things in his classroom as well, just incredible things. That teacher is in the top 5 of my list of reasons for homeschooling. I know my kids would never be able to have an opportunity to have an experience like that in a typical public school these days. Sometimes I wonder if my old teacher would be allowed to teach that way today. Doubtful. But we can do anything we want when we homeschool! :D

I would love to hear how you chose your username! There are so many interesting ones here.

I am one of those people who kind of freeze up when trying to choose one.

I am always intrigued when people choose one that is witty or has something to do with them personally (family, friends, hobby, things that inspire them).

So, if you are up for it, please share!

I adopted two boys from Russia- so there it is!

For my 18th birthday a good friend gave me a key.chain with my name on beads. They had no "R" when she bought the beads, so she bought a "P" and drew a line to make an "R" but the line wore off in a days or two and my keychain said CHEPYL until it finally broke a couple years ago. Many friends called me Chepyl for years. :)

I know have no key chains, they all broke and fell off one at a time. I had one to represent the various important times in my life. I guess I should get one with my kids pictures now ;)

That's cute!

Mine is my name and my area code :lol:

Guess I should be a bit more discrete than that, but I am forgetful and cannot remember multiple user names. I use this whenever I have to have a user name to order something, etc.

My "sorority" pledge name, plus my number in the group register.

We didn't have national sororities, just local "social groups" at my college. And my social group was co-ed, low key, and really fairly unlike what I think of as a sorority.

At any rate, my pledge name was Nova and I was the 147th group member. The group is now defunct. :sad:

Anyone who has bought something from me on the sale boards knows how I came up with it. That's all I'll say b/c I like to pretend I am anonymous on this board!

Such a smart business woman. Now we all have to buy something from you to find out the story. :D

Such a smart business woman. Now we all have to buy something from you to find out the story. :D

You are definitely giving me too much credit! I just don't want everyone in our local homeschool group recognizing me and responding to my posts. I come here for opinions I know I won't get locally.

It's the first two letters of my first name, middle name, and last name.

Similarly, Ja (first two letters of my oldest child); Ma (first two letters of my 2nd child's name); and Jo (first two letters of my 3rd child's name).

I think a lot of people think it is Jam-a-Jo but it is pronounced Ja(short vowel sound)Ma (what you call your mother) and Jo (just the way it looks) :D

Our homeschool name was chosen in memory of the best educational experience of my life. I'm an Army brat and grew up mostly in Germany. In the 6th grade I attended a DoD school in Furth (near Nurnberg) and had the most wonderful teacher imaginable. In those days, we were still in one class with one teacher all day long. Well, he was big into nature study and regularly took us on day hikes to Alte Veste, which means "old fortress" and was a major battle site of the 100 Years War. It is now a natural area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alte_Veste . We each picked a tree at the beginning of the school year, measured it, studied it through the seasons, wrote poetry about it, etc. We would stay all day on that hill, doing all our studies out in nature.

We did incredible things in his classroom as well, just incredible things. That teacher is in the top 5 of my list of reasons for homeschooling. I know my kids would never be able to have an opportunity to have an experience like that in a typical public school these days. Sometimes I wonder if my old teacher would be allowed to teach that way today. Doubtful. But we can do anything we want when we homeschool! :D

very inspirational story.

Mine is a username from a board DH and I used to frequent. (Okay, I used the board, he used everything else on the site. :tongue_smilie: ) I, like Sherlock Holmes, do not store much extraneous data in my noggin so I chose to use a name I could remember when I signed up here. (I need all my memory for the crazy complicated passwords my IT DH keeps making me use!)

Edited by BLA5
Freaked out about TMI

Similarly, Ja (first two letters of my oldest child); Ma (first two letters of my 2nd child's name); and Jo (first two letters of my 3rd child's name).

I think a lot of people think it is Jam-a-Jo but it is pronounced Ja(short vowel sound)Ma (what you call your mother) and Jo (just the way it looks) :D

Points for me. I get it right. (Which doesn't happen as often as I would like. I'm horrible at pronunciation.)

For a while my my younger kids had this weird habit where they would respond to anything by saying "that's just super!". I have absolutely no idea where it came from, but they said it all. the. time. "We're having spaghetti for dinner." "That's just super!" "I found your toothbrush in the cabinet." "That's just super!" "You have a doctor's appointment tomorrow." "That's just super!". And I wanted to be easily identified as a dad (since I know the default gender on these forums is female). Thus, SuperDad.

I was in a snit the day I signed up... :lol:

No, seriously. I had stopped to talk with one of my (thankfully former) neighbors after taking DS1 (then 2 months old) for a walk. We had a nice chat, yada yada... and then I made some comment about how I had lost track of time and had to go. She asked why and I replied that I needed to go put the bread in the oven and get dinner started. She just glared at me for about a minute with a disgusted look and then exclaimed, "Well aren't you an ambitious housewife!" and then turned around and stormed off.

I kid you not.

This is also the woman that, about a month later, banged on my door and tried to tell me that I had to stop cooking because her DH thought that my food smelled good and was wanting something something other than frozen dinners and (I quote) she "... wasn't going to be some man's slave!" :001_huh:

So... yeah. That is how I came up with my name. I've kind of thought of changing it because some times it just seems so presumptuous, but I've never gotten around to actually doing that...