Menu

Life of Fred, Singapore AND Teaching Textbooks for 3rd grade?

luciana11tx

Is it too much?? I can't make up my mind between TT and SM. I'm doing LoF no matter what... anyone doing all 3?

We've used Fred and backed it up w/a traditional curric like TT. I know SM has a lot to offer, some of it might be covered by Fred, but some not. Could you use some of the SM supplemental books rather than the full curric (so you aren't tempted to beat math to death :001_unsure: )? Of course, Fred is quick so you could use Fred for a couple of months then use SM.

I use many math resources (Fred, Horizons, various "living math" books and computer resources) and sometimes it's easy to fit it all together. Sometimes my kids are eager and plow through more than I expected then other times it's much slower going. I find it hard to plan, but at the end of the year I am always thrilled with what they've experienced and learned. I just have to be flexible and remember WHY I have these things (ie, not so I can torture the kids doing math, but because they deserve a deep understanding of math.)

My DS9 used Singapore (4A & 4B Textbook and Intensive Practice books) along with LOF: Fractions and LOF: D & P and that was a lot of math. The elementary series is a different story - those are much lighter IMO.

I don't think I could do 3 math programs. There are so many other subjects to cover.

This is just my opinion, but I would think for a 7-8 year old that Singapore supplemented with LoF would be plenty. With my oldest, I started out with Horizons K for math and then in first grade tried to do Horizons and Singapore (because I was scared to let go!) and we ended up getting half a year behind with SM. This year I use CLE (Christian Light) to supplement Singapore, and while we stayed on track, it was just way too much math for my kids.

Next year, I will just use SM ( I will have dc in 1A, 3A and 4A) with drill work, some Challenging Word Problems and some Intensive Practice.

Hope that helps a little...I know making a decision can be one of the most difficult things about homeschooling!

Blessings,

Stephanie

Is it too much?? I can't make up my mind between TT and SM. I'm doing LoF no matter what... anyone doing all 3?

...3 math programs does seem like too much. In that case my question should be; TT + LoF or SM + LoF

I think this would ok if your DS is interested/willing to do all 3. My 3rd grader is doing TT, LoF, and Miquon. She likes a lot of change. When she gets bored with TT, we focus more on the other programs for a while. Just think about his personality and what he can handle, and you should have your answer. We haven't used SM so I can't comment there, but TT and LoF is fine together.

you can never have too much math!

Just my opinion. :)

I'm going to use Life of Fred as a fun evening read with Daddy this next year. I let them do IXL on the computer for their "fun". I use Math on the Level and decide which lessons/concepts to focus on. In the fall I'm going to hand my 6 1/2 year old Teaching Textbooks books and let him work through one or two of them when I'm distracted with the new baby.

We started with Horizons, and then Right Start Math. I agree different programs have different strengths, but as long as your child likes math and has fun with it/learns something... I say go for them all! But I'm an admitted commitment phone when it comes to my curriculum.

If you were going to skip 1 I'd skip teaching textbooks. I think Singapore is more rigorous as a stand alone program. and I think Fred wouldn't be enough on his own, but would be a fun element to add to Singapore.

There's my two cents!

...3 math programs does seem like too much. In that case my question should be; TT + LoF or SM + LoF

We are doing Life of Fred in the summer for review. It is a BLAST! I vote for saving LOF for summers.

If your son wants to do all three that is great. If he isn't sure do Singapore and LOF. We did a lot of math programs at that age. We just rotated around with no set schedule. When they needed a change we switched. Generally two programs at a time but we did A Beka, Singapore, Prof B, Minquin, Key to....., and others. Math for an hour most days. Both my kids love math.