Menu

My ongoing review on Phonetic Zoo.(Older child, independent, spelling program)

Dolphin

After much debate, reading, and question asking we have decided to give Phonetic Zoo a try. Today is day 1. My intention is to keep updating this thread as we go along.

As a background, we pulled my ds out of a private school at the end of 2nd grade. When we started homeschool in 3rd grade, spelling was the first (of many) programs we realized were not right for us. We had the spectrum spelling workbook. We researched and settled onto All About Spelling. It worked really well, spelling went from tears into our favorite subject overnight. The enthusiasm and success kept me going through book 1 and into book 2, then I hit major burn out and we just stopped. I love AAS and I am planing on using it with my dd in the fall, but prepping for 3 steps a time and the fast pace when starting with an older child was just to much for me to keep up with.

We took a placement test in the fall and ds placed in second grade for spelling (but 12th for word recognition). When we took the test again at the midpoint in our year he still placed in 2nd grade for spelling (not surprising as we hadn't replaced the curriculum and hadn't done any spelling all year.

I realized that we needed to get back on track with spelling, I just couldn't face it, so I started to research a non-workbook, more independent spelling program. Someone on this board suggested Phonetic Zoo. I researched, and then at the GHC convention in Long Beach I got the opportunity to talk to Andrew Pudewa about it. He took about 20 minutes talking to me about it.

I got the program, and over the last few days I watched the DVD that comes with it. Spelling and the Brain is not necessary to watch before starting the program, but I highly recommend it. It is motivational, and I understand where ds was struggling. It also made me realize how I can have a child who is amazing at reading, word recognition, etc... and be preforming below level in Spelling.

The instructions on the DVD are great. Andrew Pudewa takes his daughter Fiona through a lesson. He shows how to start with the flashcard together (That took us about 2 minutes), then how the student does the work independently. It was really helpful seeing just what the parent and student roles are in a program.

I also listened to the first three tracks on the CD. One feature that I like is that when they are listing off the spelling words Mr. Pudewa and the other man who helped write the program (I am being forgetful at the moment) take turns and switch every 3 words. It is enough to break the monotony of the program, but not so much as to be overly busy.

Today we started, just as shown on the dvd. I showed him all the parts of the program. I showed him how to use his personal cd player, where the pause button was etc... I also explained that with starting a new program using a different approach to learning might mean that it took a few days for him to get used to it. I normalized everything, explained that it was not a test, but a learning exercise, and that my only expectation of him was that he tried it. That we would work at his pace etc...

I printed off the spelling form that was in the teacher manual as we are not yet using college ruled paper. He was so excited to get started, yet relaxed. He sat down, and had everything he needed and I left him to it.

18 minutes later he walks into my room, proud as a peacock with his first try done. 14 out of 15.

So, after planning and day 1 I am very happy.

Let me know if I left anything crucial out, I will update as we progress through if people are interested.

Nicole

Edited by Dolphin
  • Like 3

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I am using this as a little test to see if I want to blog and do curriculum reviews or not. :001_smile:

Now, for a confession, I am not one of those wake up early, exercise, shower, and prepare for the day Mamas. Dc usually wake up before me, and I get up between 7:30 and 8:30 and hit the floor running with 2 awake kiddos.

So, Day 2. I wake up and stumble down the hall to our school room to see what the little monsters (darlings) have been up to this morning.

dd is lying on the floor coloring with a rainbow of colored pencils all around her (and under her, and somehow on her:001_huh:) and is singing an aria of some sort.

ds is sitting quietly at the table, headphones on doing Phonetic Zoo:) Totally oblivious to the cat opera his little sister is putting on next to him, completely focused, and with no help or prodding from me.

I went downstairs for an appointment with my best friend, Keurig. By the time I was sitting down with my coffee ds comes down with a beaming smile and 15 out of 15 on his spelling lesson. He is so proud of himself. We went over the words, I let him know that if he gets 100% again tomorrow that he gets to move onto lesson 2. I also told him that while I am thrilled he had the motivation to do this on his own, that whenever he is moving to the next lesson he needs to spend some time with me first. That is it, spelling is done for the day and I haven't even finished my coffee:D I am in love.

I know that some of this is excitement over a new program, so I will keep updating.

Some things that I forgot yesterday. We have put everything for spelling in 1 box. We are not using those things for other subjects, so they stay put. His box has 3 files in it. 1 for blank test sheets, 1 for taken test sheets, and 1 which has the personal spelling card in it and where the finished lesson cards will go. There is the cd player with headphones, and back up batteries. All the cd's so he can switch over and 2 pens, one blue and one black (The program recommends correcting in a different color.)

We have also set up a reward for collecting all of the Zoo cards. We have a family movie night each week. DH and I take turns picking the movies (basically we make the kids suffer through all our old favorites) DS will get to pick a movie, and we have to watch it as family movie night. We will also get popcorn AND ice cream. He is planning on making us watch Pokemon!

One thing that I realized that makes this greatly different from AAS (for me anyway) There is no temptation to go faster, do more than 1 step. The child must get 100% on their list 2 days in a row to move onto the next lesson. Once the lesson has been done for the day, that is it until tomorrow. I like this.

Edited by Northwest_Mama
forgot something

I am very interested in this program and was planning on ordering if for us next year. We bought the entire set of AAS and struggled through level 1. Although I liked the program, I just felt it wasn't a good fit for my kids at their ages (11/10). I have sold that whole kit and I am now excited to try this program. The girls also both worked WW this last year and often did a spelling test on the vocabulary words. One of the things that I found is that my older dd was very capable of studying and almost always got 100% on the spelling test but she would never apply them to daily writing. Once the test was passed, she didn't retain in. My other dd in more of a natural speller and didn't even really need to study the words.

I gave them each a placement test with the Phonetic Zoo and the older one place in A and the younger one in B. Didn't surprise me at all. I know that she needs to go back and learn the rules so that she can apply them to her daily work. For instance, they were playing a game the other day online and the older one had to type the word dying. She spelled it dieing. I am hopeful that PZ will be a more manageable program for us to work through. I love the Audio component and I think that will be a huge benefit to her.

My older dd is also the one who I had thought might have a learning disability.

I was thinking of creating the poster board on a bulletin board.

Thank you for doing this review. It's been very helpful.

thanks for doing this style curriculum review on here. i'm happy to benefit from your experience :tongue_smilie:

we're in AAS 5 with older DS and AAS 3 with DD. i have settled in my mind what we're doing for 2012-13 year but like to always have an ear to the future plans i will enact, because sometimes DS races ahead {accelerated learner} and i need to have my ducks in a row. PZ is definitely what i would go to if AAS stopped working for us with him .....

so, i'll be tracking along :)

Did you set up the board they show in the teacher's instructions? It was a large poster board with some different word lists and places for the zoo cards. I'm just wondering if I need to spend the time putting it together.

That is from Spelling and the brain right, the Sound City. We are thinking of doing this at some point next year. It is just another resource for parents to use, it is not a part of phonetic zoo and not necessary to the program. If my ds was my youngest child, I would not even be thinking about trying sound city, however, my dd is 5 and a rising kindergartener. I think it might be fun to do next year as an "extra" and only if we have time.

With Phonetic Zoo my whole set up was watching the instructions, printing the spelling lists, getting the cd player and headset, putting it in a box with 2 pens, and pre listening to the first 3 tracks. Then we started. All in all it took me 45 min, and 1 shopping trip. Today (day 2) took me all of 30 seconds.

Teacher time, after the initial sorting. I think it is going to be about 3-5 minutes of my time at the start of each new lesson, and about 30 seconds to go over their test on the in between days. Every 5 lessons will be a little more time as that is the personal spelling list and I will be reading the words instead of the CD.

Fourcatmom:

Go with the level that they test into. A B and C are all on the same card, they go through the "jingles/hints (rules) each time through, the words are just more advanced. Your younger child will not be missing some crucial lesson if she is working at her level.

If you watch Spelling and the Brain(It comes with the program), Andrew Pudewa talks about how each child will preform best if they work at their own pace and level.

Dolphin, I would encourage you to pursue curriculum reviews if you like doing them. You have a great "voice." :)

Be careful, though, it's a lot of work, especially if you are doing it for someone else. :D

I used Phonetic Zoo with my oldest for a brief period (I reviewed it on my blog, in fact), but found that it was not a good fit for him. He is a very visual learner, so the audio aspect simply wasn't the best way (fortunately, he's pretty much a natural speller, so having a formal spelling program isn't crucial for him).

The DVD is very enlightening and it would be possible to develop your own visual program using the concepts presented there. The main idea is that with spelling, the order of the letters counts. It's not enough to get all the letters, they need to be in the right order, but when we see a word whole on the page, the brain records all the letters of the word, as opposed to the order of those letters. By practicing the word orally, one letter at a time, if forces the brain to record the correct sequence. If I remember correctly.

My 8-year-old dd moved onto Sequential Spelling after completing AAS levels 1, 2, and part of 3. Frankly, we were burning out on spending so much time on spelling every day and not getting where she needed to be fast enough, so I understand the need to try something else. It's frustrating to be spelling at a 2nd grade level when you have a much higher vocab (she couldn't spell what she wanted to write). AAS improved her spelling by leaps and bounds. SS continues to improve it by leaps and bounds. Still love AAS (I'm using it with my 6-year-old), but we also love SS. PZ might have worked for her, too, though. ;)

Dolphin, I would encourage you to pursue curriculum reviews if you like doing them. You have a great "voice." :)

Be careful, though, it's a lot of work, especially if you are doing it for someone else. :D

Thank you! I am thinking of starting a blog, and just doing in depth reviews of the curriculum we use. Maybe with some of the sheets I have made to go with things.

• Like 1

Thank you! I am thinking of starting a blog, and just doing in depth reviews of the curriculum we use. Maybe with some of the sheets I have made to go with things.

I absolutely think you should do that:) I find it so helpful to read about curriculum by someone who has actually used it! You have already set my mind at ease about Phonetic Zoo- after loving AAS I was so worries to try something different. But with my 3rd child starting to read we would be in 3 different levels, and 2 is hard enough! I have plans to do some reviews with my new blog this upcoming year too.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I am using this as a little test to see if I want to blog and do curriculum reviews or not. :001_smile:

Now, for a confession, I am not one of those wake up early, exercise, shower, and prepare for the day Mamas. Dc usually wake up before me, and I get up between 7:30 and 8:30 and hit the floor running with 2 awake kiddos.

So, Day 2. I wake up and stumble down the hall to our school room to see what the little monsters (darlings) have been up to this morning.

dd is lying on the floor coloring with a rainbow of colored pencils all around her (and under her, and somehow on her:001_huh:) and is singing an aria of some sort.

ds is sitting quietly at the table, headphones on doing Phonetic Zoo:) Totally oblivious to the cat opera his little sister is putting on next to him, completely focused, and with no help or prodding from me.

I went downstairs for an appointment with my best friend, Keurig. By the time I was sitting down with my coffee ds comes down with a beaming smile and 15 out of 15 on his spelling lesson. He is so proud of himself. We went over the words, I let him know that if he gets 100% again tomorrow that he gets to move onto lesson 2. I also told him that while I am thrilled he had the motivation to do this on his own, that whenever he is moving to the next lesson he needs to spend some time with me first. That is it, spelling is done for the day and I haven't even finished my coffee:D I am in love.

I know that some of this is excitement over a new program, so I will keep updating.

Some things that I forgot yesterday. We have put everything for spelling in 1 box. We are not using those things for other subjects, so they stay put. His box has 3 files in it. 1 for blank test sheets, 1 for taken test sheets, and 1 which has the personal spelling card in it and where the finished lesson cards will go. There is the cd player with headphones, and back up batteries. All the cd's so he can switch over and 2 pens, one blue and one black (The program recommends correcting in a different color.)

We have also set up a reward for collecting all of the Zoo cards. We have a family movie night each week. DH and I take turns picking the movies (basically we make the kids suffer through all our old favorites) DS will get to pick a movie, and we have to watch it as family movie night. We will also get popcorn AND ice cream. He is planning on making us watch Pokemon!

One thing that I realized that makes this greatly different from AAS (for me anyway) There is no temptation to go faster, do more than 1 step. The child must get 100% on their list 2 days in a row to move onto the next lesson. Once the lesson has been done for the day, that is it until tomorrow. I like this.

How amazing! I hope we are as successful with it as you guys are!

Thank you, thank you!

Thanks again for the encouragement. It looks like a few of you are finding this useful, so I shall continue.

Day 3.

DS brought me a cup of coffee in bed this morning as he had decided it was time for me to wake up. I was then presented with his 2nd 100% on level 1 and a where is my second card dance. I congratulated him on the 100% and explained that I would give him the second card when we started the second lesson. He asked if we could start the second lesson now please.

This is all in the first minute of waking up!

As I was sitting up, and rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I told him that spelling is just once a day, he was done for the day.

"Why, I got my 100% two days in a row, why can't we also start level2?"

As I couldn't see a reason not to I told him to go get me his spelling box and then to put his timer on for 5 minutes and leave me alone with my coffee and the spelling.

after a 5 minute break he came back in, crawled into bed with me and we did the lesson 2 prep. Sometime during this time dd5, realized that ds and mom were in bed and mom was awake so she came in and joined us:confused:

He went away to do his lesson while I was being grilled by dd about why couldn't she do Phonetic Zoo. I reminded her for the 1 billionth time that she was starting kindergarten next month and would have her own spelling program (AAS), so she went to listen to music and dance.

I had about 20 minutes while ds was doing his lesson to rise and face the world. He came to the breakfast table a little less jubilant with a 7 out of 15.

I looked it over and told him good job, he looked baffled. I think this is where we are starting to get into the program now. I let him know that this is more like the score that I had expected on the first lesson. He had surprised me with a 14 out of 15 when he had tested into level A. He started to look relieved. I asked him if I had given him a list to study and he responded no, so I asked if logically would I expect 100% from him when I had given him no preparation. "no."

We went over the mistakes together and I said, "I bet you will get at least 8 out of 15 on your next try." He asked if he could try again tomorrow even though it is Saturday. I said "of course."

I asked if he still liked the program now that it is showing itself to be a little harder, and he says yes, he wants to keep going with it.

So far, so good. I am really appreciating how easy to implement this program is for me. I feel like I will now have time to do AAS properly with dd. It looks like we now have a spelling program that will get done with ds, and as the wise ladies on the board here say; "The best curriculum is one that gets used."

Let me know if anyone has any questions. I will keep doing short updates, probably a longer one at lesson 5 (personal spelling)

Nicole

Your review is amazingly helpful, did you mention which levels of AAS you did? I Will have to reread the op! :tongue_smilie:

I am considering PZ sometime next year when dd finished AAS 3. AAS is working, but like you, i am adding a ker and thinking having something more independent would be fantastic. I just need to decide whether to move on after AAS 3 or 4?

:bigear: tuned in to hear as you continue!

Nicole - love all the info! You didn't mention, did you do the placement test or since he did well with AAS 2 did you decide to just jump into level A and go from there if it was too hard for him? I love the IDEA of AAS but I'm concerned about the time it's going to take me. I keep looking at Phonics Zoo but not quite sure my 6 1/2 year old is quite ready for level A, but would love to have a reason to give it a shot since it's such a independent approach to managing spelling!

I gave my dd who will be going into fourth grade the phonetic zoo placement test and she didn't place to use A.....so we are staying on the AAS path for level 3 then we'll take the placement test again to see if she's ready! Thank you for posting....this is helpful!

I didn't even realize there was a placement test, and my dd9 has been using PZ all spring. Although she has done pretty well with PZ and actually likes it, her overall basic spelling skills aren't very good (she can't spell so many basic words -- I wondered if she had ANY retention with the 2+ levels I did with her in AAS). I think I prematurely pulled her out of AAS 3. I needed something independent, and PZ was suggested by a friend who loaned it to me and then I bought level A.

Now that I've looked at the placement test, I'm pretty sure my dd (also going into 4th) wouldn't pass it either! I'm going to give her the placement test next week, and probably take a break from PZ to do some more basic spelling, maybe back in AAS 3 (although she really disliked it). I've really appreciated this thread & great review!

Monalisa - thanks for your experience. :) Sounds like I should stick it out/give AAS a try through at least Level 3. I will shore up my patience. Or give it my best shot at least!

Definitely...you would not want to put a 6.5 year old in Phonetic Zoo. It was a stretch to have my 9 year old work that independently, let alone tackle higher level words. There is a big jump to where PZ starts from AAS level 2/early level 3.

Your review is amazingly helpful, did you mention which levels of AAS you did? I Will have to reread the op! :tongue_smilie:

I am considering PZ sometime next year when dd finished AAS 3. AAS is working, but like you, i am adding a ker and thinking having something more independent would be fantastic. I just need to decide whether to move on after AAS 3 or 4?

:bigear: tuned in to hear as you continue!

We only did about 1/3 of AAS2, however he had already done 2nd grade spelling at a private school, about 1/3rd of a 3rd grade spectrum spelling workbook, about 6 weeks of Evan Moor daily spelling 4th grade, and is almost 10 and an amazing reader. I believe the recommendation is to take the placement test, but around 2nd or 3rd grade and/or after AAS3. Andrew Pudewa really does not like giving ages and levels as he is a firm believer in following each child's own speed of mastery.

Nicole - love all the info! You didn't mention, did you do the placement test or since he did well with AAS 2 did you decide to just jump into level A and go from there if it was too hard for him? I love the IDEA of AAS but I'm concerned about the time it's going to take me. I keep looking at Phonics Zoo but not quite sure my 6 1/2 year old is quite ready for level A, but would love to have a reason to give it a shot since it's such a independent approach to managing spelling!

We kinda did the placement test over the phone as I was at a conference. Then I discussed it and what my son had done with Andrew Pudewa at the conference. I feel very fortunate to have had his help if figuring it out. That is part of why I am trying to pay it forward. I do agree with the post below.

Definitely...you would not want to put a 6.5 year old in Phonetic Zoo. It was a stretch to have my 9 year old work that independently, let alone tackle higher level words. There is a big jump to where PZ starts from AAS level 2/early level 3.

Days 3 and 4.

Once the reality of the weekend hit, ds wanted to wait until Monday. He improved on Lesson 2 and got 11 out of 15 (from 8 on Friday).

I gave it a quick look and picked up that he had marked seize as incorrect when he had spelt it correctly. I just did a fast look, 20 seconds maybe. Turns out maybe the fast look should be more like a minute. I missed that he had spelt two other words incorrectly (on the correct list). He is still hearing "c" sometimes and writing "s". He did that with conceive and perceived.

Today he did his third round on lesson 2, and only missed 2. The two that I missed. He spelt them exactly as he had on the previous test. So they would have been correct if I had caught that mistake.

I don't know if that makes sense or not.

We are still enjoying the program, and are seeing progress. It is very independent, but not totally.

From ds's point of view. He is very happy with it. He has a concrete way of seeing his improvement, and he loves the auditory nature of the program.

I will update again after we transition to lesson 3.

• 3 weeks later...

We took are summer vacation and started back to school this week.

Lesson 2 was harder for him, it took ds 7 tries to get 100% twice, however yesterday we transitioned into lesson 3 and he got a 14/15. I think this is going to fill in gaps, etc... As the words are grouped in similar groups it makes sense that he will have hard lessons and easy ones. I like that he can learn at his own pace.

Another nice thing is that the mastery aspect is showing. DS got his first 100% on our last day of school. He then had a 2 and a half week break, and got his 2nd 100% on our first day back. I know it is not that long of a break, but seeing as this was a list he was struggling with, I was impressed.

Even with the other "new" things that he has for this new school year, PZ is still up there with excitement. He was happy to get back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
he instructions on the DVD are great. Andrew Pudewa takes his daughter Fiona through a lesson. He shows how to start with the flashcard together (That took us about 2 minutes), then how the student does the work independently. It was really helpful seeing just what the parent and student roles are in a program.

Nicole

Are you referring to parts of the Spelling and the Brain DVD? I bought my PZ materials in bits and pieces used and I haven't found the DVD yet (hoping to not pay $15 plus shipping for new). I have the downloadable teacher's manual, so I think I could survive without it, but I didn't realize Spelling and the Brain showed a lesson. I need to hunt that DVD down...

Are you referring to parts of the Spelling and the Brain DVD? I bought my PZ materials in bits and pieces used and I haven't found the DVD yet (hoping to not pay $15 plus shipping for new). I have the downloadable teacher's manual, so I think I could survive without it, but I didn't realize Spelling and the Brain showed a lesson. I need to hunt that DVD down...

Yes, there is a lesson. He goes through it with his daughter. I would e-mail the company, they might send you a digital copy. So far I have found them to be spendy up front, but incredibly helpful and free with supporting information.

We have now done 3 weeks in a row of 5 days a week and it is just chugging along. No big surprises or road bumps. My son still brings every 100% paper to me with a beaming smile on his face. He is gaining so much confidence. I am thrilled with this program. Next time finances allow, I think I am going to buy their memorization program for dd5. It uses the same principal as PZ(the CD)

Your candid review has been most helpful! Thank you so much!

We will be starting PZ level B with two boys (11 and 13). They placement tested into the same level (YAY!). Thank you for posting your thoughts!

You are welcome, thank you for the feedback.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just an update that so far we are still loving this. I know often people quietly stop talking about a program when they realize it is not as good as they hoped. I am going to try and update once a month, and if we get to the point we drop it I will post and say why.

There is not a lot to update. Once you get all set up and started, you just kinda go. My ds is just about to finish lesson 7 (he has 1 100%, tomorrow he should get the other)

He still likes the program and comes to me each time he gets a 100%

I am enjoying the independence of this program. I have found by not doing/worry about AAS we have really been getting work done on writing (which was needed).

• 4 weeks later...
We are on week 4 of PZ level B and are loving it also. I have two who are doing this level and my 6th grader is slightly ahead of my 8th grader. The best part is that no one cares! They're each doing their own thing. Awesome!

:001_smile:

October Review

We are still going progressing through Phonetic Zoo and still liking it.

We skipped Lesson 5 (personal spelling) as I just had not gotten organized with the school year at that point. The nice thing is, it comes around again. We are now on lesson 10, (personal spelling again). I pulled the spelling words primarily out of his grammar program. When he misspells a word that is there on the page for him, I figure that is a good word for the list. He is now on his 4th try with:

uncomfortable

attack

Israel's

enemies

blocks

rabbit

interesting

pictures

furiously

clothes

It is nice, as instead of getting mad that he spells a word wrong when it is front of him, I just write it on the list.

Spelling is taking about 5 minutes a day during this time, a little less independent as I have to read out the list and the spelling of the words. It is not to bad, I just listened to lesson 9 myself so that I could remember what to do, and we are plugging through.

We are both still happy with this program. I will update again in November.

• Like 1

This is perfect timing for me as I had bought this program years ago for dd but sold it. Just last week I borrowed it from someone to try with ds9. I didn't remember there being a placement test. We are in AAS5 so it sounds like he'll be fine, but I'll test him to see. He is very visual I think, so I am unsure how this will work. I just wanted something independent for him because he was doing AAS with his older sister and is often done school sooner and waiting on her. Now, having read this thread, I am a bit worried he'd do better continuing with AAS. He is a natural speller I think, so maybe he'd be fine with either. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done a lot of both with a natural speller.

Looking forward to more reviews!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just another quick update. We are still really enjoying this program. It remains easy to do, and ds does not complain about it at all. I will post again in January after we have taken the DORA test. That way I can see if his spelling has improved.

Let me know if the updates are not helpful. I just know that sometimes we start with a program and then quietly drop it when it is not going so well. So far no road bumps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well ds just did another assessment today. We are using the DORA test from Let's go Learn, the same one he used last year. When he took his assessment last June he placed in low 2nd grade for spelling. We have been using Phonetic Zoo since then and he took the same test today. He is now low 4th grade. So, in 8 months he has caught up over a grade (and he is still in level A of PZ).

So, not only do we both love the program, but it is working and he is progressing at a fast pace now in spelling. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 8