Menu

What do you do for state history?

mommyto4QT

We will be homeschooling for the first time this fall, with a 2nd and a K student. I live in the state of TX but not a native (know very little state details or history). I've had several people ask me how I plan to incorporate state history into our studies. It's not required, but any Texan in public school gets A LOT of state history! I don't want to go overboard, but would like an idea of how others do state history.

How often?

Is there a curriculum available for it?

What ages?

How important is it for a K-5 grade education?

For state history this year, I griped loudly to my children about our disenfranchisement. No taxation without representation! Does that count? :D

Um, more practically for you, I know because there are so many Texas history requirements that there are picture books about it, such as The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie DePaola. Maybe start with doing some picture books and a couple of field trips?

I read two coordinating living history books about our region. I also have a slim book from the 1950s from a state historical society, put out to inform kids about the state before touring the capitol building. I did not grow up in my current state of residence and don't remember any state history from school. We also occasionally go to historical museums and see things like pioneer housing and other such local history.

We are doing state history on Fridays. I went to the library and checked out as many Ohio books as I could find, skimmed through them, and came up with the best 34 topics to talk about. I did get some coloring pages from Enchanted Learning and we are going to be compiling a "notebook" of Ohio. My plan is to also schedule a field trip at least once every 2 months. My kids are still young enough that we will be reading a lot of Ohio picture books too! If you want a curriculum already put together I believe Easy Classical has a state curriculum package.

Edited by edeemarie
typing on phone:(

Here is a link to the Intellego unit study for Texas:

http://www.intellegounitstudies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81

We are using the Virginia unit this summer with my rising 2nd grader and so far so good. Then again we've just started. I've used other Intellego units and I simply adjust a few things, make sure I've checked out the link prior to sitting my kid down with the computer and I sometimes make worksheets or add narration pages into our binder as well as adding books. These units really do find a lot of great internet material and good project ideas. Those are the things I personally find a headache to pull together so the $13 is worth it to me.

My plans are:

Kid's Guide to Drawing America. Here is a link to Texas.

World Book Encyclopedia article.

Map on the wall.

Extensive map drawing and geography activities. I've decided to short shift the history and focus on the geography. What zone is this? What time zone? Latitude and Longitude? What biomes are in this state and where? Draw a map showing them with a key. Another map of elevation. Another map with places of interest. Another map of population. Where are the major cities and towns? What are the major rivers and where do they start and drain? What types of rocks are here? Major crops? Major occupations?

Lots and lots of drawing and copywork sentences in best handwriting.

Dreams of field trips, but...that will only happen if we end out taking kids along. I won't feel guilty enough neglecting adult tutoring students, unless I know one of them had their heart set on bringing a tag along niece or nephew.

Food and a movie. Table decorations. Table decorations is always an excuse for adults to cut and paste without feeling stupid. Construction paper woven placemats as an excuse for ordering some old fashioned paste. If we get silly enough we will make hats to match the movie in.

My methods for all subjects lately are read aloud, draw, practice handwriting, eat, watch movie. Repeat with new subject.

My plan is to GO! Go see your state! There is a TON of history for Alabama right at our fingertips & we have been BLESSED with the freedom to see it all. Most all of the State parks & monuments are FREE or super cheap and they are close enough to make a day trip out of it. So, my plan for state history is to GO! and SEE ALABAMA!!! =) Nothing beats hands on & State history is the one subject where it is feasible for us, even on a tight budget! Google and see if you can't find a list with all the national & state historical sites for your State. Schedule them in chronological order then GO & SEE!! Teach them the "Story of your State"!! :D

HTH!!!

We did lots of field trips, and we did them on an on-going basis. We were in California at the time, and Californians will know what I mean when I say we went to 18 missions...in a week...We started in San Diego, where we lived, and also did Capistrano and San Luis Rey before the week from heck, lol.

Next year for my ds9, I'm doing http://www.studiesweekly.com/results.php?state=AK&grade=4. It's a weekly "newspaper" you give the child once a week. It's got little articles about the state history, activities, games, etc.

For me, state history is good stuff, but not vital. I want exposure, but not a lot of focus away from other things. So this simply newspaper is my way of covering the bases. Then on top of that, we're doing SOTW 4 which will also cover some parts, plus I may assign a book or 2 for reading.

Simple is my motto!