Menu

AP exams -- At what age did your dc begin taking them?

OK, let me start by saying that my ds is 12, so this is a "planning in advance" question, rather than an "immediate need" kind of question.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to handle high school for my ds. I think it will be a good idea for him to take as many AP exams as he can, both for credit purposes and because I think it will be a way to help demonstrate his academic ability when he applies to colleges as a homeschooled student.

I'm wondering at what age most kids start taking the AP exams. I haven't been in high school since... well, let's just say my 25th reunion was quite a while ago and leave it at that :tongue_smilie:... so I can't remember when we took all of the different tests.

Also, where do homeschooled kids go to take the tests? We have no involvement whatsoever with our local school system, so I'm completely clueless as to how this stuff is scheduled.

Sorry to sound like a complete moron, but I'm just starting to plan for high school, and I'm discovering that there's an awful lot I don't know about it!

My daughter took World History in 7th. In 8th, she took Chem, Calculus AB and both Economics. Her experience is not common, but I am throwing it out as example of what your options include.

She took the exams with our local public high school's students. I called their front office the first year, and the receptionist gave me contact information for their AP coordinator, who fixed us right up. Experiences with finding a testing location vary widely, as you will see if you follow this board in about January when everyone is trying to find a tester, but my daughter's could not have been any better.

Terri

My son started in 8th grade. I sign up for the AP exams in September with our local public school and then my son goes into the ps in April to fill out the student info on the AP exams.

I have read many horror stories regarding homeschoolers' difficulties in gaining access to an AP testing site. Thankfully, our public school has been great. The school did not offer AP Chemistry this past year to its student body, but they ordered and proctored the AP Chemistry test for my son.

My older ds began taking AP classes in 11th, and my younger ds began in 9th. If I had it to do over again I would start in 10th for both. ;)

Also, where do homeschooled kids go to take the tests?
We've had great luck at a private school close by, but my two have taken tests at public and charter schools as well. Edited by Brigid in NC

Since having more AP tests is one of my hindsight wishes... I'll say that I'd have started in 10th grade if I had it to do over again. As it was, middle son did his in 11th and 12th.

Youngest will be starting his junior year next year and will probably not have any AP when he graduates since he's in public school and our school doesn't offer them. He is taking his first cc class (within the school) next year. Junior year is the earliest students can take those here (in or outside of school). I've talked with youngest about self-studying for an AP test or two, but I just don't think he has the drive to do it (sigh). AP classes/tests aren't for every student. Know yours.

Middle son is my highest academic go-getter. He did 2 cc classes his junior year (both were true college level classes, not remedial, one was a sophomore level class). He also studied for 2 AP tests, but then just took Stats as we saw no need (at the time) for Bio and opted to save $ :glare:. I regret that decision now as he'd have been able to take a deeper intro to Bio class at college if he'd gotten a 5 on the AP test. I had no idea some colleges used AP test scores as pre-reqs for classes. This year, as a senior, he studied for Calc and Psych, then only took the Psych test. Rather than getting AP credit for Calc he's going to redo the class at college with an edge to get a good grade for pre-med.

Also, where do homeschooled kids go to take the tests? We have no involvement whatsoever with our local school system, so I'm completely clueless as to how this stuff is scheduled.

We moved this year, so I've gotten to do this in two places now (wheee...) The first time it was extremely easy. One of the local charter schools contacted our homeschool group to let us know they'd be happy to host any homeschooled kid that wanted to sit for the exams with them. I got on the list, wrote the check and that was that. Except we moved before May... and I had to start all over again with schools I knew nothing about.

If you contact the College Board (there's an email address and a phone number somewhere on the AP website) they'll send you names and phone numbers for a few schools at a time. It took about a dozen tries with their list -- I got a couple schools that didn't offer the exam we wanted, several that didn't have room, one that *might* have had room but wouldn't be sure until all her kids signed up at which point it would be too late to call anyone else... one turned out to be a girls' school and either they really weren't open to outside students joining them or they were trying not to say "no boys" out loud but since I have a DS it amounts to the same thing... (things I would have known if I were local!) They were all extremely pleasant about it, but it took a LOT of calling. I finally got one, way on the other side of town, wrote another check, and that was that. They were really fabulous, too - very organized and professional about everything, great to deal with all around. I'll probably start with them next year, although I'm tempted to give the neighborhood school another shot just because the exams we're considering next year are all first thing in the morning... and a drive across town during rush hour isn't a great way to start the day.