Menu

Beginning Algebra early, does this mean other classes automatically, like science?

You're posting on the AL board so I'm guessing one or more of your little ones are advanced? Lots of kids are all over the board when it comes to the level on which they are learning.

For example, Huck is 8. He's beginning Algebra but can't write a paragraph yet. His printing is aweful but we're finding success with cursive. He is beginning 3rd grade history with no interest in going faster or learning on his own. He'll be working on second year latin (his fav. subject right now) and first year spanish. Grammar he gets just fine; spelling he hates although he is a year ahead in it.

I choose our science by what is fun and engaging for him at this age versus what would probably be challenging. We're using Real Science for Kids Bio in the fall. I beef that up with Janice Van Cleave's experiment books. I've used them for Chem and Physics and find them fun and enjoyable. I've also just joined the Jr. Scientists club after hearing it recommended on this board. So far, so good.

HTH!

I read on the highschool board a while back that children typically begin Algebra 1 at the same time as High school science?

I know this is the traditional ps way, but does this seem right?

A more accurate way of saying what you read might be "high school sciences usually require a student to be familiar with basic algebra." Does that help?

On a personal note, I have a math whiz who just completed high school geometry for his "7th grade" year. He'll be doing the usual high school science sequence, starting with Physical Sci. for "8th grade." So while he is advanced, he is not in lockstep in his advancement, hope that makes sense.

Hope this helps?

Karen

Ah, that's a bit clearer. Now I understand your question better. My friend is a physicist and says that yes, for high school science and above, algebra is very helpful. He does say though that one can learn lots without the math too, but in order to understand the formulas, algebra needs to be there.

HTH!

Sorry, I was a little vague. But I was familiar with the fact that high school science classes expect students to be comfortable with algebra. My question is actually sort of the reverse.

A better way of wording it may have been to ask: As gifted kids move up, are there any subjects that should be kept together on grade level?

I know science requires algebra, so it's okay to have algebra first. But is there a reason to have science early to keep it around the same time as algebra? Or maybe does the reasoning involved in algebra indicate that the skills needed for high school science are there, giving the reading level is okay?

Sorry so confusing, I'm really exhausted.

We use Singapore for both science and math, so it makes sense to keep them together... but you could certainly advance math without advancing science. I'm not sure you could do it the other way around very easily though.

I think before you can do high school science, you need to be "at" algebra (not necessarily done with it, but it helps), you need to be able to write enough to keep a lab notebook, you need the reasoning skills that you should have learned in elementary and middle school science, and of course you should be able to read the textbook. :) The one thing that might make us slow the science down is the workload... DS does a lot of following his own interests in various science fields, and if his textbook work in science were overwhelming he wouldn't have time for his own stuff. That wouldn't work for us, for now... so in that case his age-appropriate needs would trump whatever he might get out of a more challenging curriculum.

A better way of wording it may have been to ask: As gifted kids move up, are there any subjects that should be kept together on grade level?

My answers would be "not if your model is PS," and "it depends on the child." Institutional schools are set up the way they are for the purpose of moving huge crowds through a uniform template, with only minor variations. Home schooling is entirely outside this model, and we can do whatever is right for the individual souls in our charge. Please do not feel that you must model your home school after any institution. The institutions are not possessed of any venerable wisdom that you are missing. :)

For kids before high school age, I would let the child's interests be the guide. As they approach high school, you'll need to consider what will be on the high school transcript, college admissions requirements, etc. If college is in your child's future, you will need to plan for jumping through those hoops.

Does this help?

Karen

I think it depends on the plans for your dc in the future. For example, if they want to graduate early, like after completing high school math, you would want to make sure that they completed high school science on the same schedule. :001_smile:

Jean

Thank you guys so much! This is exactly the information that I was looking for.

The institutions are not possessed of any venerable wisdom that you are missing.

This is exactly what motivates me to ask. I'm always worried that I'm missing connection that I wasn't aware of. So thanks again guys,

Kimberly

No..this is not how it works. Starting Algebra early only means that later, your child will be able to go more in depth with science classes. Without higher math, your child cannot do some of the AP courses.

In the public school, whether your child starts algebra in 7th or 8th grade, 9th grade science waits for 9th grade. I know lots of people wait until 9th grade to take algebra and that is how many curriculums list it, but generally, a good college prep program will have a child in algebra at 8th grade, 7th for a gifted math program.