Menu

IEP's and setting goals for the special needs kid...

Do any of you create an "IEP" of sorts to set goals for the year? If so, what do you use to creat this? Is there a program out there that would help me to help me to plan out our educational goals AND set daily living type goals?

I had looked at something called "__________'s List" and it was for making these types of goals--but I have no idea who publishes this and I can't remember the name? Anyone know the name of this by chance?

Thanks

Amber

I think it's a great idea to set specific goals for all your kids, but especially for kids with special needs. A list might help you, but when I worked in public education/children's mental health, and the teachers had access to lists like those, my observation was that their goals were not as good as if they thought the goals through themselves based on a recent assessment of the child. So my encouragement to you would be to think of where your child is now. Think through what you know and what the latest assessments have been. Then think through what you think is achieveable within 1/2 a school year, and write specific goals for those things. Include daily living skills that will most benefit YOUR child in YOUR family. The life goals might be a little different for each kid/family. E.g. from our life. Ds 11, with motor planning issues spills stuff he uses to make breakfast and lunch every single day. It's something that I've asked the OT to work on specifically (she does other motor planning stuff) because it is what causes friction at home. (No one likes to come to the table with milk and sugar or honey or peanut butter smeared on the table. He'd like not to clean it up, so learning not to make the mess seems like a perfect goal right now.)

That may not seem as helpful as a list, but I think it's the best way to approach it.

Lukes List is what we are using also. I just use it as a guide to see what we might need to cover (so I don't miss the little things that I assume she will pick up naturally but which actually need to be taught) and it keeps me organized more than I would be if I created one myself. Another one I saw was put out by Nathan/Chask organization - something like how to create your own IEP. My friend has that one, I use Luke's List.

T