Menu

Parent involvement vision therapy vs. occupational therapy

Our occupational therapists have always encouraged parental observation of the sessions. I've found this very helpful in understanding ds and making other decisions about his needs--not just in following certain exercises.

Our vision therapist, OTOH, "allowed" me to observe for a few sessions, then last time, asked if it would be okay if she worked with ds alone. I said yes for that time, but I'd really prefer to watch. I don't interfere and ds doesn't look to me during the sessions.

What has been your experience with VT & OT? Did your therapists encourage parental participation in the form of observing or not? Is there a legitimate reason why my observing the VT sessions would be detrimental?

I was encouraged to watch for both OT and VT. The vision therapist actually seemed to expect it. The occupaional therapist said in her written materials that parents could watch or not and then listed possible reasons for each choice.

When my middle dd did OT, the therapist expected me to be right there and participate, but the therapist actually came to my home. We saw her for 2 hours, 2x/month, and she always gave me things to work on with my dd in between appointments. She left me with whatever I needed to do the "homework", like a scooterboard or a sit&spin or whatever.

When my youngest dd did VT, the therapist worked with my dd alone, but met with me for 5 minutes at the end of each 45 minute session to teach me what my dd needed to work on until the next appointment. She had VT for 45 minutes, 1x/week.

I've actually been asked NOT to participate/observe the VT, because our therapist believes that parental observation makes the child feel they must perform better. Probably that is the case for my DD, but I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall!

I think at our VT's office, parents are not encouraged to watch. There isn't even really a place to sit and watch while they're doing therapy. However, I made it clear I needed to watch and understand what they're doing to the best of my ability, and I've always been allowed to be back there - even if I spend the time standing by the door as unobtrusively as possible.

Both the therapist and the DO have told me they're glad I ask questions and am observing, FWIW. I think it has a lot to do with their own comfort level working with parents. There are times I think my son will perform better for them if I leave the room, so at those times I back out.

hths,

NCW

I'm thinking I may go ahead and ask our VT if I could possibly just observe one session. I really do understand where she is coming from, but I do feel lost. I don't completely understand what she is doing and how to apply it at home. Maybe we can compromise on one session observed?

That's the way I feel. Plus, I told them that I am the repository for all the info about ds. When therapy with them is done, the memory of what he did and his response stays with me. With OT, observing what he could or couldn't do in OT and comparing to info from his environment has been helpful in zeroing in on things sometimes. Ds has a "not inside any box" dx and I may need to keep pursuing various alternate treatments in the future.

It's on my list to push for next week, after my mom is here to watch the boys and I don't need to bring them along. Just once, that should do it! If I can just get a grasp on what is going on in there, I think I'll be better off with the homework I'm supposed to be doing.

Laurie, that's a good perspective...you as the repository of info about your son. Interesting way to look at it, and very, very true!