Menu

X-Posted: Help me with remedial math for the summer, please?

I got DD's Iowa Assessments results yesterday. As I suspected her math is lagging behind. I feel like I don't know what to do. Like we've been stuck in the same spot for the last 2yr and aren't progressing ahead at all.

Her overall composite score was 79th percentile, but her math was 42nd percentile, while her ELA total was 95th percentile. Before pulling her out of school she was consistently scoring in the 80th percentile or higher in everything. I know that last year (I pulled her out in March) that she was in PS (4th grade) and much of the year prior she really didn't learn anything in math. We tried to remedy that at home, but she's been stuck in that same rut since.

So, here's the breakdown of her math scores - what would you spend the summer doing?

Number Sense & Operations - 12/18

- Represent, compare, and order numbers - 1/3

- Describe and apply properties of numbers - 2/2

- Classify numbers by divisibility - 1/4

- Demonstrate ways of performing operations - 3/4

- Use place value and write numbers in standard, expanded, and exponential form - 3/3

- Esitmate and round real numbers - 2/2

Algebraic Patterns & Connections - 6/11

- Use and interpret operational and relational symbols - 2/2

- Solve equations/inequalities - 2/4

- Use expressions and equations to model situations - 1/2

- Explore numerical patterns - 1/3

Data Analysis, Probability, & Statistics - 6/10

- Apply probability concepts and counting rules - 1/2

- Understand and apply measures of central tendency and variability - 2/4

- Interpret data and make predictions - 3/3

- Understand sampling - 0/1

Geometry - 7/13

- Identify, classify, and compare geometric figures - 1/1

- Describe geometric properties, patterns, and relationships - 3/7

- Apply concepts of perimeter, area, and volume - 2/4

- Estimate geometric measurements - 1/1

Measurement - 9/13

- Measure length/distance, time, temperature, weight, mass, and volume - 1/3

- Estimate measurements with appropriate precision - 5/6

- Identify an duse appropriate units of measurement and measurement tools - 3/3

- Understand and apply rate - 0/1

I know these tests aren't the be all, end all of progress, but in this case, it confirmed what I already knew. She is behind in math. I am, however, feeling very inadequate in helping her. I don't know what to do, or where to start. What would you do?

Just brainstorming--

I might go back thru her curriculum and check the scope and sequence to see if she's even had some of those topics. I know some vary in when they present certain things.

It looks like she isn't strong in patterning, in divisibility rules, in measuring geometrically (perhaps she hasn't had enough geometry yet), and in those "extra" topics like rate, probability, etc.

Maybe just target those things. She should get them again as those topics are typically presented over and over.

Just brainstorming--

I might go back thru her curriculum and check the scope and sequence to see if she's even had some of those topics. I know some vary in when they present certain things.

It looks like she isn't strong in patterning, in divisibility rules, in measuring geometrically (perhaps she hasn't had enough geometry yet), and in those "extra" topics like rate, probability, etc.

Maybe just target those things. She should get them again as those topics are typically presented over and over.

Good thinking....and maybe this is part of our problem.

I pulled her out in March of 4th grade. She tested into Horizons 5 for math. She did 1/2 of it. It was a struggle & fight. I realized she didn't know her multiplication facts very well (again, a product of not learning much her 3rd grade year). At that point, I pulled her back to 3rd grade math (thinking she'd breeze through it and pick up anything she was missing), and switched to CLE. She loved it at first, but then the addition, subtraction, expanded form, etc problems got to be too boring. She knew that stuff.

Once again, we were at a point where math was a fight every day. I took a look at the scope and sequence for CLE math and bumped her back up to 6th grade this year. She was happier at first, then it got a little harder and we were back to fighting daily - at which point she just shuts down and refuses to listen and apply what she knows to what she does not.

We've been stuck at this point where she knows addition, subtraction, and multiplication of many digits, but struggles beyond basic long division (if it has a decimal or something else strange), and struggles with fractions, even though she can explain it all to you.

She has been introduced to rate, probability, etc, but she doesn't understand it and I'm lacking the skill/words to explain it to her. Maybe that's the problem - CLE is so self directed. Maybe I need something with a little more teacher interaction - but I'd need it spelled out for me.

Suggestions?

Sounds like she might be a good candidate for Teaching Textbooks. Take her to the site and look at some sample lessons (even before having her start taking placement tests). I would take her back to a point at which she is comfortable and progress slowly, but steadily to build a solid foundation. Her confidence will eventually improve, with her improving skills. There is no quick answer to this problem.

My 11 year old daughter hit a 'hiccough' in math last fall. She was frustrated that it was taking so long and she was making so many mistakes, and she picked up on my panic. We pulled out of that tailspin by jumping back to the beginning of the math level she was working in (she was nearly finished with Saxon 7/6, but had a significant break over the summer during which she apparently forgot everything she previously learned). By getting back to concepts she knew, we were able to dig out from under that math beast. She is now nearly finished with that level and has rock-solid skills and understanding. I would have switched her to TT, but I already had Saxon so I just made it work. The advantage of TT is that it takes you out of the question. There will be no more fighting over math!

I guess the important thing is, though, to back way up to a point where it is easy and progress forward from there - no matter what curriculum you decide to use.

I would say Saxon would probably cover it well for you, but it's hard to find all the bits and pieces on one topic and put it all together.

I do think the instruction is very clear, however, if you just want to review certain topics.

Can you have her take the placement test and start her off with where she places?

I'd guess maybe 6/5?

Or could you do some Khanacademy over the summer?

Sounds like she might be a good candidate for Teaching Textbooks. Take her to the site and look at some sample lessons (even before having her start taking placement tests). I would take her back to a point at which she is comfortable and progress slowly, but steadily to build a solid foundation. Her confidence will eventually improve, with her improving skills. There is no quick answer to this problem.

My 11 year old daughter hit a 'hiccough' in math last fall. She was frustrated that it was taking so long and she was making so many mistakes, and she picked up on my panic. We pulled out of that tailspin by jumping back to the beginning of the math level she was working in (she was nearly finished with Saxon 7/6, but had a significant break over the summer during which she apparently forgot everything she previously learned). By getting back to concepts she knew, we were able to dig out from under that math beast. She is now nearly finished with that level and has rock-solid skills and understanding. I would have switched her to TT, but I already had Saxon so I just made it work. The advantage of TT is that it takes you out of the question. There will be no more fighting over math!

I guess the important thing is, though, to back way up to a point where it is easy and progress forward from there - no matter what curriculum you decide to use.

:iagree: We may be using TT soon for this reason! We're maybe half a year behind in math (oops), and I think that TT, which is simple and straightforward, would be the easiest route.

DD has been doing sample lessons on the TT site all morning. She loves it. She's doing the Algebra sample lessons right now & hasn't had any trouble yet. Who knew? So....I guess I need to do a little more research on TT and figure out if I can even find a way to afford it.

We've been stuck at this point where she knows addition, subtraction, and multiplication of many digits, but struggles beyond basic long division (if it has a decimal or something else strange), and struggles with fractions, even though she can explain it all to you.

She has been introduced to rate, probability, etc, but she doesn't understand it and I'm lacking the skill/words to explain it to her. Maybe that's the problem - CLE is so self directed. Maybe I need something with a little more teacher interaction - but I'd need it spelled out for me.

Suggestions?

Rod & Staff grade 5 math begins at the spot where you describe she is currently, and introduces all of those topics that you listed in an incremental, easy to understand manner. And the TM has very thorough (almost scripted) instructions for teaching the lesson.

It may not be a quick easy fix, but it will provide a solid understanding. The book primarily focuses on the topics that you listed. The first two chapters are review, then the chapters are as follows:

3. Fractions

4. Measures

5. Division With Two-Digit Divisors

6. Multiplication by Three-Digit Multipliers

7. Factors, Multiples, and Prime Numbers

8. Adding and Subtracting Unlike Fractions

9. More Division by Two-Digit Divisors

10. Decimals

11. Ratios

12. Multiplication and Division of Fractions

13. Bible Measure and Metric Measure (I skipped the Bible measure, it isn't useful outside of recognizing that they are units of measure when you read the Bible, lol)

14. Multiplication and Division of Decimals

15. Geometry and Square Measure

16. Graphs and Scale Drawings

17. Review

How about using Khan academy. Have her do the practice sessions and if she reaches something she can't do, then watch the video to go over the concept. She can start at the beginning or skip over some of the basics like addition/subtraction multiplication/division. Going through everything will find the missing links though ;)

This summer my dc are doing www.aleks.com

They did the 48 hour free trial and did the assessment. A few days later I was offered the 2 month free trial. Once the assessment is completed it shows a pie graph that tells what they know and what they still need to learn. The child can select from the topics they don't know to work on each day. This has been a great thing for us this summer to fill in the gaps. There is also a comparison of what they know vs the state standards for their grade. There is a quicktables section if they need to work on math facts.

Edited by Lori in MS

This summer my dc are doing www.aleks.com

They did the 48 hour free trial and did the assessment. I few days later I was offered the 2 month free trial. Once the assessment is completed it shows a pie graph that tells what they know and what they still need to learn. The child can select from the topics they don't know to work on each day. This has been a great thing for us this summer to fill in the gaps. There is also a comparison of what they know vs the state standards for their grade. There is a quicktables section if they need to work on math facts.

:iagree: Try this out. We have used it many summers now. That pie chart seems to motivate the heck out of my kids. And it reteaches as many times as needed without telling the student--okay, you need to relearn this subject-let's do the same lesson and problems over and again.

I agree to do Aleks over the summer. The beauty of it, due to its artificial intelligence and ability to assess what a child has or has not mastered, is that it only targets the child's grade level gaps. It does not teach or review anything that the child has mastered except it will every two or so weeks reassess all grade level standards and determine what needs to be retaught and reviewed. I use this at the end of every school year. Definately get the two month free trial and you may be surprised that she masters the grade level pie in the trial period like mine did and I didn't spend a dime until the next year end when I purchased it for just two months.