Menu

Mathmatical story problems - looking for a book

I am looking for a book that would give my son the various terms/clue words used in mathmatical story problems (beyond the basic ones of "left", "all together", etc.). It may come down to us making our own I guess. If anyone knows of a educational book that might be helpful please let me know.

Thank you.

T

looking for, but Veritas Press (and probably other places) sell these books:

Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi

Sir Cumference and the First Round Table

Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland

Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone

If you scroll down the link provided, you'll see a whole host of other titles by Cindy Neuschwander. The link is to Amazon, which is easiest for many people.

Another book we liked was How Math Works, part of the great Reader's Digest series that have similar titles like How Nature Works and How the Earth Works, etc.

I'm not sure exactly what ages you're looking for, though. When my kids were little, we had a lot of preschool math books like The Cheerios Counting Book and many, many others. These all helped to give them great math awareness.

I may be misunderstanding exactly what you're looking for----are you looking for a certain age range, or a special-needs child, or a certain type of math (i.e., algebra) where story problems become critical? At any rate, these are some basic resources off the top of my head.

I liked "How Deep Is the Water?" and "Measuring Bowser" by Stephen S. Willoughby. They're "Thinking Math" books with short stories to read aloud and word problems. I used them with a private school class back in the 80s, but I've seen them on ebay and half.com.

hth