Menu

Biblioplan vs: Tapestry of Grace

All you experienced Biblioplan people, would you please compare th e workload of that program to the scheduling nightmare I had with TOG? I am a total TOG dropout, way more than I wanted to juggle. I love the concept, but certainly wanted a more open and go approach.

Is Biblioplan and easier to use version of this concept? My youngest son would benefit more from an approach like MOH, and I see that BP uses this as well. My son is going into 7th grade, and neither of us want to work as hard as TOG! Any suggestions appreciated!

Like you I love the concept of TOG but it was just a bit much for us. After 2 years of TOG (Yr 4 & 1) we switched to Biblioplan Yr 2 for 6th grade. It was what we needed at the time but in the end it felt a bit light (haha--what wouldn't after TOG). I didn't do MOH with it, though; I used SOTW. So maybe that's why. The next year I ended up using BJU World History. Ds attends private school now.

ETA: I just realized you were asking about scheduling. BP plans history for 3 days per week and the workload is easily do-able for those 3 days. Sometimes I spread it out over 4 or 5 days. It's more of a checklist-type plan than a big-picture plan like TOG so there is less pre-planning. The drawback is you don't have the teacher's notes to give yourself the background info on the topic. But with BP the assignments are shorter and it would be easy to skim your child's assigned reading. Also with BP I didn't care for the writing assignments so I just applied WTM techniques of outlining and summarizing.

Edited by Cinder

You know, I didn't think so. I just skimmed the reading and then we'd talk about what it was about, point out a few highlights, then try to tie in anything else we'd read that would be related. Then I'd explain any writing assignment that was based on that reading. I don't think you'd have trouble winging it.