Menu

How to make a pregnancy mattress

I posted this on my blog but wanted to share here as well for the sake of all the other pregnant and uncomfortable mamas out there.

I've been blissfully enjoying tummy-sleeping on my pregnancy mattress, and feeling a little guilty that other pregnant mamas might not be able to. So I thought I would share my secret method for making a pregnancy mattress.

1) acquire a foam mattress--not sure if memory foam would work or not, mine is a standard foam bunkbed mattress I paid about $100 for over 10 years ago. I stole it from my child's bed (don't feel bad, said child was spending every night in MY bed:))

2) Find a cutting implement (I used a serrated kitchen knife)

3) Lie down on the mattress, mark when your belly meets the mattress.

4) Cut out a nice belly-shaped circle of foam. You can set this aside and replace it later if you want to use the mattress for non-pregnant persons.

5) Replace mattress cover and sheet, lie down with your belly in its new space, and go to sleep.

If you're naturally a tummy-sleeper like me, getting comfortable during pregnancy (especially the third trimester) can be a nightmare. I really hope my idea helps someone--I've used it through two pregnancies now very happily. Might help to turn a posterior baby too! I've seen a similar concept sold as an air mattress for pregnant women, but I've never found air mattresses to be comfortable even when not pregnant--I'm convinced the foam is much better and you can customize it to your own body. I does need to be on a hard surface to be comfortable–I just put my twin sized mattress on the floor. My kids call the little hollow in the mattress “baby’s bed!†Enjoy your sleep!