Menu

Did you use Far Above Rubies?

Guest mom2k&c

Guest mom2k&c

Can you tell me about your experience with it? What did you like or not like? How did you assign grades? Did you college bound student like it?

I am trying to figure out what to use next year for my dd. I am looking at FAR, SCM Modules,& Sonlight core 200. We have been using Sonlight for the past 3 years, but the selections do not seem to mesh for dd moving forward.

Any comments and/or opinions are greatly appreciated.

I used Far Above Rubies this past year with my dd. We had the older version.

We are not continuing with it simply because I feel unorganized and like I need something more traditional.

I like that the student is always doing something "fresh" in each unit instead of using the same books and curriculum all year. In my opinion, this should help keep the student more engaged, interested and motivated. Also, I like that it relies on a wide variety of resources, many of which are "real books".

I really wish we could have continued, but I just do not think we are cut out to be a unit study family.

We only used it in grade 8, but if we had continued, I think it would have been a fine curriculum and dd would be prepared for life, which would include college if she decided to pursue that path. :)

If you have more specific questions , I will try to answer.

We used it for the first little bit of dd's 9th grade year. While it had some great assignments and lots of variety, we (dd & I) too, felt very disorganized. I also had a hard time getting the right books from our library on time (most had to be interlibrary loaned and never arrived on time). So we moved on to MFW which is scheduled out for us and it is working great!

I do have a friend who used FAR for her dd all the way through highschool (she graduated this year) and they really loved it. So, it works for some, but not so well for those of us that don't plan well or just don't have time to do planning.